Threaded View

ROG Guru: White Belt Array andreacos92 PC Specs
    andreacos92 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Asus ROG G751JY-T7134H
    MotherboardAsus G751JY (Intel HM87 Chipset) with Custom BIOS
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-4710HQ @ 3.8 GHz (1.24 V) all 4 cores & cache
    Memory (part number)16 GB DDR3L HiperX @ 2133 MHz CL11-12-13
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GTX 980M 4GB GDDR5 with Custom VBIOS @ 1400/5800 MHz (1.162 V)
    MonitorStock 17.3" IPS 1080p @ 90 Hz
    Storage #1Samsung SSD 960 EVO M.2 NVMe 500 GB (W10 Pro)
    Storage #2SanDisk SSD 128 GB (Linux) - Hitachi HDD 1 TB 7200 rpm
    CPU CoolerStock cooler with Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut thermal compound
    CaseStock with Air Intake Mod
    Power SupplyDell 330 W
    OS Windows 10 Pro - Linux Manjaro XFCE

Ok, now it's pretty clear.

In the second video, before cleaning and repasting, your CPU was throttling because of CPU temps. Intel CPU starts throttling at 93-94 °C, and this kind of throttling reduces clock speeds just a little bit, like we can see in the second video. CPU clocks stay in the 3.1 - 3.3 GHz range, instead of 3.4 GHz (this is the turbo clock with all 4 cores active).

In the first video, after repasting, CPU temps stay in the low 90s, that is quite high but not enough to start CPU thermal throttling.
    Now your throttling is much more aggressive, falling down from 3.4 GHz turbo clock to 2.6 GHz that is the base clock for the 4720HQ: this is the thermal VR throttling. You can see it in HWiNFO stats, at IA: VR Thermal Alert, and in your screenshot it's marked as YES.
    You should see also an entry under CPU [#0]: Intel Core i7-4720HQ: Enhanced called VR VCC Temperature (SVID). If you can't see it, just put under load your CPU and then restore original order in HWiNFO, that temp sensor doesn't work if it's cold and show 11 °C or less (grayed out).

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	NhVrefJ.jpg 
Views:	22 
Size:	19.6 KB 
ID:	85508

If you will monitor that sensor when you play games, you will see it goes up to 96 °C and then your CPU will start to throttle at base clock (2.6 GHz).

The paradox is that before repasting your CPU was thermal throttling because of CPU temp, and that was a "soft" throttling, cutting down just 200-300 MHz to keep CPU in the low 90s. Now, after repasting, your CPU is a bit cooler, it doesn't reach throttling temperature, but this allows the voltage regulator to run hotter and trigger another throttling system, that is more aggressive than the previous one.

Bad news n° 1: repasting has worked, but maybe not enough. Low 90s are still quite high temps for stock clock and voltages, with a fresh applied thermal paste and a clean laptop.
    What's the temperature inside your room? I'd try to use a custom fan profile, to let them spin a bit faster. High 80s, with a demanding CPU game like Battlefield is already a quite good result in the middle of the summer.

Bad news n° 2: CPU VRs are not cooled, they are abandoned to their heat. I put some little heatsink over them just to have a sort of passive cooling, they help but don't work miracles.
    Also in this case, if the fans spin a little faster, they should create more airflow in the chassis, that "could" cool VRs a little better. But without heatsink and active cooling, this is a very minor effect.
    Anyway it's strange that you hit VR thermal at 40-45 W of CPU power, IIRC even with stock speeds I experienced this at higher power consumption (at least 60 W); but if your room temp is around 28-30 °C this can be possible (I simply don't play games/use intensive apps in summer lol).

You can also try to disable HyperThreading, if you don't use your laptop for rendering/encoding, heavy multitasking. From my experience, many games (even recent ones) will run better with HT off, and CPU stay cooler, with less power draw.
    If you can't disable it through Windows or CPU affinity, as last resort I would try to set a limit on CPU multiplier, something like 3.1 - 3.2 GHz through XTU. 200-300 MHz should not affect your gaming performance, but can be enough to not suffer from aggressive throttling, that can cause FPS drops or inconsistency.