cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751jy Temperature almost the same after changing thermal paste

Cannon_19
Level 9
I haven't changed the thermal paste in my rog g751jy in 2 years so I did it yesterday. I also cleaned all the dust. Before doing it, while playing Battlefield 1 my gpu was constantly at 86-87 degrees celsius and throttling, while cpu was around 92-97, with clock speeds bouncing between 3GHz and 3.3GHz, also reaching 3.4GHz sometimes. Fan speeds were around 3000rpm for gpu and 3300rpm for the cpu. After I was done with the paste and cleaning, I ran Battlefield 1 again and gpu never went above 75-76 degrees and was always at full speed. CPU however, runs at 3.4GHz all the time, and then it gets to 92 degrees and drops to 2.5GHz and ~83 degrees, and then goes back to 3.4GHz until it's at 92 degrees and it's a never ending cycle. Fan speeds were 3000rpm for the gpu and 3000rpm for the cpu (300rpm less than before for cpu). Idle temperatures are 40 degrees for the gpu and 45 degrees for cpu. Is this a normal result? I'm happy with the gpu results, but underwhelmed with cpu results. It never fell to 2.5GHz before, and why are the fans running 300rpm slower? Did I do something wrong? Any way to fix this? The thermal paste I used was Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut and Arctic thermal pads for the vram and vrm (0.5mm and 1mm). I spread the paste with included spatula, as recommended by thermal grizzly. Is there maybe a curing time for the paste or something?

Here are the pictures:
Before cleaning:

GPU:

After cleaning (I cleaned the vram and vrms too but didn't take a picture):

CPU:

GPU:

New paste and thermal pads:

Thermal pads on the heatsink:

GPU:

CPU:

34 REPLIES 34

andreacos92
Level 9
My guess: you shouldn't have used the 1 mm pads over the GPU VRMs. They are too thick to allow the right pressure and contact between CPU and copper CPU heatsink
Maybe even the 0.5 mm could be too thick.

With my latest repaste on G751JY I went with thermal paste everywhere, because even with 0.5 mm pads I noticed higher temperatures on some CPU cores (more than 10°C differences from hottest and coldest core), so I thought that heatsink was not completely "flat" on the CPU die.

andreacos92 wrote:
My guess: you shouldn't have used the 1 mm pads over the GPU VRMs. They are too thick to allow the right pressure and contact between CPU and copper CPU heatsink
Maybe even the 0.5 mm could be too thick.

With my latest repaste on G751JY I went with thermal paste everywhere, because even with 0.5 mm pads I noticed higher temperatures on some CPU cores (more than 10°C differences from hottest and coldest core), so I thought that heatsink was not completely "flat" on the CPU die.

I initially went with 0.5mm for everything, but after I put the heatsink back on, I inspected the thermal pads from the sides with a lamp, and I could clearly see the light coming through between the VRMs and thermal pad, meaning there was no contact between them at all. That's why I went with 1mm for them. Other parts seemed to make contact with 0.5m just fine so I left them like that.
EDIT: Forgot to ask, what temperatures should I normally expect for cpu/gpu after cleaning everything and reapplying the paste?

Cannon.19 wrote:
I initially went with 0.5mm for everything, but after I put the heatsink back on, I inspected the thermal pads from the sides with a lamp, and I could clearly see the light coming through between the VRMs and thermal pad, meaning there was no contact between them at all. That's why I went with 1mm for them. Other parts seemed to make contact with 0.5m just fine so I left them like that.
EDIT: Forgot to ask, what temperatures should I normally expect for cpu/gpu after cleaning everything and reapplying the paste?

I know that with 0.5 mm pads or with thermal paste the VRMs are not well in contact with heatsink, but I gave priority to CPU and GPU die contact-pressure-cooling.
Anyway, in my case, using thermal paste over the VRMs resulted in a well spreaded thermal compound: I considered it quite enough.

The fact that other parts make a good contact with 0.5 mm can be seen in a negative way, they are relieving pressure from the chip dies.

About the temperature, I assume you have the 4710HQ or 4720HQ. I don't know exactly because my 4710HQ is undervolted in daily use and overvolted/overclocked when needed, but with stock clocks and voltages you should not touch thermal throttling like you experienced, unless your room temperature is over 30 °C.
Maybe in the middle 80s seems to be plausible and acceptable when playing demanding games.

Right now, with an ambient temperature of 28 °C (it's hot here), my CPU idles at 38-42 °C with a little undervolting (that has little/zero impact on idle temps anyway).

andreacos92 wrote:
I know that with 0.5 mm pads or with thermal paste the VRMs are not well in contact with heatsink, but I gave priority to CPU and GPU die contact-pressure-cooling.
Anyway, in my case, using thermal paste over the VRMs resulted in a well spreaded thermal compound: I considered it quite enough.

The fact that other parts make a good contact with 0.5 mm can be seen in a negative way, they are relieving pressure from the chip dies.

About the temperature, I assume you have the 4710HQ or 4720HQ. I don't know exactly because my 4710HQ is undervolted in daily use and overvolted/overclocked when needed, but with stock clocks and voltages you should not touch thermal throttling like you experienced, unless your room temperature is over 30 °C.
Maybe in the middle 80s seems to be plausible and acceptable when playing demanding games.

Right now, with an ambient temperature of 28 °C (it's hot here), my CPU idles at 38-42 °C with a little undervolting (that has little/zero impact on idle temps anyway).

Yes, I have a 4720HQ. it's not overclocked or undervolted right now. During stress test in Intel XTU, the cpu temperature doesn't go above 82 degrees but it keeps showing "Power limit throttling: yes". Also it doesn't let me undervolt any lower than 0.090. I tried -0.045 yesterday and there was no difference in temperature.

Cannon.19 wrote:
Yes, I have a 4720HQ. it's not overclocked or undervolted right now. During stress test in Intel XTU, the cpu temperature doesn't go above 82 degrees but it keeps showing "Power limit throttling: yes". Also it doesn't let me undervolt any lower than 0.090. I tried -0.045 yesterday and there was no difference in temperature.

- 0.090 V is not a little undervolting, it's already a good result if your system is stable. Mine is -0.80 V, just for.

For Power limit throttling, you can raise the Turbo Boost Power from actual 47/58 W to 50/60 W if I remember correctly, and the Power Boost Windows from 8 seconds to maximum (I don't remember the value, maybe 64 sec).
This allows your CPU using 2-3 W more, with a little increase in clocks and temperatures as well. So in your situation this is not an improvement, because you are temperatures limited. So you should lower temperatures first.
In XTU you notice Power throttlink because it's a short test and temperatures didn't stabilize at higher values, and because you're stressing only CPU, while during games you are stressing both CPU and GPU, and the whole cooling system will show its limits.

andreacos92 wrote:
- 0.090 V is not a little undervolting, it's already a good result if your system is stable. Mine is -0.80 V, just for.

For Power limit throttling, you can raise the Turbo Boost Power from actual 47/58 W to 50/60 W if I remember correctly, and the Power Boost Windows from 8 seconds to maximum (I don't remember the value, maybe 64 sec).
This allows your CPU using 2-3 W more, with a little increase in clocks and temperatures as well. So in your situation this is not an improvement, because you are temperatures limited. So you should lower temperatures first.
In XTU you notice Power throttlink because it's a short test and temperatures didn't stabilize at higher values, and because you're stressing only CPU, while during games you are stressing both CPU and GPU, and the whole cooling system will show its limits.

I don't know if it's stable at -0.090 yet, I haven't tried lower than -0.045. Will try that later.
I was hoping I wouldn't have to open it up again, but it seems like I'll have to. It's a nightmare getting to the motherboard 😄

Cannon.19 wrote:
I don't know if it's stable at -0.090 yet, I haven't tried lower than -0.045. Will try that later.
I was hoping I wouldn't have to open it up again, but it seems like I'll have to. It's a nightmare getting to the motherboard 😄

I know, I think I have opened it up dozens of times, now I can remove the motherboard in less than 20 minutes 😄
I'd give it a try, removing thermal pads. But it's your choice.

You can try with NBFC and a custom fan profile, to let them kick in with lower threshold. With NBFC, using 165 and 166 registers, you can also "unlock" the full speed of these fans, that should be about 4100-4150 rpm for CPU and 3800-3850 rpm for GPU fan. At these speeds, the noise is really high 😛

andreacos92 wrote:
I know, I think I have opened it up dozens of times, now I can remove the motherboard in less than 20 minutes 😄
I'd give it a try, removing thermal pads. But it's your choice.

You can try with NBFC and a custom fan profile, to let them kick in with lower threshold. With NBFC, using 165 and 166 registers, you can also "unlock" the full speed of these fans, that should be about 4100-4150 rpm for CPU and 3800-3850 rpm for GPU fan. At these speeds, the noise is really high 😛

Hmm I'll give it a try. There's no risk like damaging the fans or something?
Btw, 20 minutes, nice man, that's really fast 😄

Cannon.19 wrote:
Hmm I'll give it a try. There's no risk like damaging the fans or something?
Btw, 20 minutes, nice man, that's really fast 😄

Well, you should let your fans revving so high only if needed, so with temps at 80+ °C. With a good repasting, I assume your system will be quite cool and those speeds will be an extra, and not the usual speed.

Anyway, I use NBFC since years reaching that speeds in heavy gaming and fans are still good without signs of wear or strange noise :rolleyes: