New ROGer Array philipjbrennan PC Specs
    philipjbrennan PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)ROG GU501GM
    MotherboardIntel HM370
    ProcessorIntel Core i7-8750H (Intel Core i7)
    Memory (part number)32 GB DDR4
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060
    Sound CardIntel Cannon Lake, Roland VT-4, Behringer XR18, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2
    Storage #1Kingston RBUSNS8154P3128GJ 128 GB PCIe NVMe SSD
    Storage #2Crucial MX500 1TB SATA SSD

ROG GU501GM Thermal Paste Replacement

Hello! I finally grew the guts to do a repaste on my machine. I used Kryonaut and Arctic Thermal Pads.

The stock paste on this is complete garbage. It was hardened and seemed to me that way too much was applied in the factory.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Heatsink.jpg 
Views:	0 
Size:	750.6 KB 
ID:	85381

Name:	CPU-GPU.jpg 
Size:	846.9 KB 
ID:	85382

After cleaning up, I added 1.5mm Arctic Thermal Pads to the VRAM.

Name:	VRAM.jpg 
Size:	203.6 KB 
ID:	85383

The results are great so far! Off the bat I'm noticing up to -10 degrees differences in idle temps.

I also ran a stress test in CPU-Z before and after and here is a snapshot of the results (in HWMonitor)

Name:	HW Stress Test before-after.jpg 
Size:	153.5 KB 
ID:	85384

If you're planning on doing this, I totally recommend it. Here is a great YouTube video that helped out a ton.

philipjbrennan PC Specs
    MotherboardIntel HM370
    Sound CardIntel Cannon Lake, Roland VT-4, Behringer XR18, Focusrite Scarlett 2i2

Update

So, the results were good, especially on the cpu side of things, but now the GPU is pretty much back to normal temps I was seeing with the stock paste (after only one day). I have a feeling it could be the thermal pads were a bit too thick (1.5mm) on the VRAM which may be causing the heat sink to have limited contact with the GPU. I'm going to remove the pads and apply Kryonaut to the VRAM instead. I'll report back tomorrow with my results.
    Last edited by philipjbrennan; 06-24-2020 at 12:26 PM.

philipjbrennan PC Specs
    MotherboardIntel HM370

Thermal Pads not always better than paste for ROG GU501GM

Quote Originally Posted by philipjbrennan View Post
    So, the results were good, especially on the cpu side of things, but now the GPU is pretty much back to normal temps I was seeing with the stock paste (after only one day). I have a feeling it could be the thermal pads were a bit too thick (1.5mm) on the VRAM which may be causing the heat sink to have limited contact with the GPU. I'm going to remove the pads and apply Kryonaut to the VRAM instead. I'll report back tomorrow with my results.
    Ok! So I got my hands on some Hydronaut (couldn't find any Kryonaut) thermal paste and reapplied. The numbers are looking great! I was correct in my assumption that the thermal pads were not allowing the heat sink to properly sit on the GPU section on the laptop. That's probably why ASUS shipped this laptop with thermal paste instead of pads to begin with (I should have known).

In testing The Witcher 3 on high-ultra settings, before the repaste I was hitting 76-78 degrees. Now, 69-70!

I also noticed that someone else on this forum had a similar experience with their ROG laptop, check out the post by user Dimonic here.

All in all, I'd say that applying thermal paste instead of thermal pads to the GPU VRAM and vrm of the CPU has made a huge difference for me!

New ROGer Array

Just a thanks message

Hey thanks for sharing, I was considering repaste too and now I am going to do it these days

Just one thing to ask, are the CPU/GPU main die on a horizontal surface with the VRMs,
    or has the heat sink/pipes even out the height difference?

I might share my feedback too after I'm done