cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G751JT Upgrade Help

anonymousroguse
Level 7
I have a ROG G751JT-DH72 with the stock 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and 1TB HDD. I want to upgrade all of those but Asus tech support tells me only the RAM can be upgraded (to 32GB). They say larger SSD/HDD aren't supported. No offense - but I'm not sure I believe them as 'tech support' was likely a call center with an operator following a script. Sooooo - anyone have experience upgrading this laptop to more storage capacity? Unfortunately, I can't find any 9.5mm HDD over 1TB unless I drop down to 5400rpm, which isn't an option.
12 REPLIES 12

BigBoss2020
Level 7
anonymousroguser wrote:
I have a ROG G751JT-DH72 with the stock 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, and 1TB HDD. I want to upgrade all of those but Asus tech support tells me only the RAM can be upgraded (to 32GB). They say larger SSD/HDD aren't supported. No offense - but I'm not sure I believe them as 'tech support' was likely a call center with an operator following a script. Sooooo - anyone have experience upgrading this laptop to more storage capacity? Unfortunately, I can't find any 9.5mm HDD over 1TB unless I drop down to 5400rpm, which isn't an option.

Tbh you don't need 32gb of ram unless your doing heavy video editing and as far as hard drive goes just upgrade the ssd to a 1tb ssd and leave the other drive alone.

xeromist
Are you sure the existing 1TB drive is 7200 RPM? Those are exceedingly rare and I can confirm that you're unlikely to find one over 1TB. That said, depending on what you are doing with it there are other options. I've been using a piece of software called PrimoCache to accelerate a 2TB 5400RPM drive with a portion of my system SSD and it has worked pretty well. My heaviest usage is games and I generally play one game for a while. So once the cache contains whatever game I'm playing it's plenty snappy.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

anonymousroguse
Level 7
Yes. Positive it's 7200rpm. I opened the case and looked at the HDD label. I do a lot of video editing so I need both capacity and speed. The SSHD drives that are 9.5mm (or less) and 2TB and only 5400rpm.

xeromist
I've looked for larger 7200RPM drives and haven't had any luck either. If you can't afford a larger SSD you could consider a USB external drive enclosure. USB 3 is actually pretty fast when fed by fast devices.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

anonymousroguse
Level 7
What about Asus tech support saying the G751JT doesn't support SSD drives over 256GB? I can afford a 2TB SSD (about $230). That's a huge jump from 256GB. A very affordable upgrade - if supported.

anonymousroguser wrote:
What about Asus tech support saying the G751JT doesn't support SSD drives over 256GB? I can afford a 2TB SSD (about $230). That's a huge jump from 256GB. A very affordable upgrade - if supported.

Why don't you just get rid of the 1TB hard drive and drop in a Samsung 960 evo 2.5 format they will fit and are available up to 4TB. I use these for OS drives at 512GB and I am still using a Samsung 850 Pro 2.5 format 1 TB that I first had in my G75 and is still running in my G752 as a storage drive Since 2012 I have been using this drive its actually guaranteed for 10 years the newer 960 evo's are guaranteed for 5 years and it looks like the 2 TB is in your price range. the link has them 256gb through 4TB there all 7mm thick so you'll have no issues with them fitting. and say good bye to Spinners inside your notebook forever.
These SSD will run at about 5x what you hard drive was the 960 I'm using bench out at 500 Gbs Read and 500 Gbs Write great for Regen drawing or producing video. You could set up a 4 TB or 2 TB for storage and still have aa TB left for a scratch disk. I don't remember about the G751 it seem the m.2 SSD is only SATA so probably not any of much faster than the 960 in 2.5 format
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

xeromist
My guess is they are relying on factory configurations for that number. The largest drive *they* configure is 256. There's no reason a larger drive shouldn't work.

anonymousroguse
Level 7
That was my thought. 'Tech support' reading from a script showing what options that computer could be purchased with. They aren't aware of anything beyond their limited training materials. I'll try a larger SSD. Worse thing that'll happen is I won't see the full capacity and I'll have to return the new drive.

anonymousroguse
Level 7
I'm going to replace the 256GB SSD with a 2TB SSD and leave the 1TB HDD for local archiving.