cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for any professional advice, Formula XII + 10700k screen flickering issues.

Sephrion
Level 7
Hello there,

I just bought brand new Maximus XII Formula + i7 10700k and got some flickering issues even in the bios.
On stock setting-auto, undervolt same issue, some oc even more. While was streaming got same stuff as on my monitor live.

Upgraded from IX Formula and i7 7700k, on previous build all works well.

Gtx 1080TI sea hawk
Corsair HX 1000v2 PSU
2x8 Corsair venegance pro rgb 3200 CL16
Corsair MP510 + evo 970 1tb and regular samsung evo ssd

Any suggestions? It might be a CPU issie?

Any advice or suggestion welcomed, don't want to return it like that after not even one day...

:PEACE:

Edit: It's not always like that, sometimes for example Path of Exile works fine, sometimes got some flickering textures etc.
Same with BIOS, once works, once not really. With for example Overwatch or Borderlands3 all seems to be fine, tomorrow will do more tests after work.

11 REPLIES 11

xeromist
Have you tried moving the GPU to the other slot? I'd also try swapping out the PCI-E power cable to the PSU (I think you have two sets with that PSU)? The fact that an overclock creates even more flickering makes me wonder if it's power related.

You could also try going back to your old hardware to confirm nothing broke during the swap. Doing so would also ensure everything gets reseated in case something is making bad contact somewhere.

Beyond that I would start with returning the motherboard. I suppose there's a chance of a CPU issue but the board is responsible for power and signalling with the card so I'd start with that.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
Have you tried moving the GPU to the other slot? I'd also try swapping out the PCI-E power cable to the PSU (I think you have two sets with that PSU)? The fact that an overclock creates even more flickering makes me wonder if it's power related.

I did that 2 times, nothing happens. Once works good, another time nope.

I dunno if I can still return it because this small laver PCI-E clip just broke from primary slot on second attempt today... I used a plastic pen to clip it because with hand it's simply imposible... Never had that problem before in my whole life, this is my 5th asus mobo. This clip just jumped off and thats it..

xeromist wrote:
You could also try going back to your old hardware to confirm nothing broke during the swap. Doing so would also ensure everything gets reseated in case something is making bad contact somewhere.

I did this, tomorrow will put my PSU, GPU and RAM there to check again.

xeromist wrote:
Beyond that I would start with returning the motherboard. I suppose there's a chance of a CPU issue but the board is responsible for power and signalling with the card so I'd start with that.

Yeah, I don't know if I still can do that ;x

Changing PSU cables doesn't help but I did play with overclocking for a long while and it seems like I got it for now.

A stable system with no flickering issues ATM, 5155 pts on cinebench20 with explorer and other apps like Icue/ cam on.
Let me know if this is better than the stock score please!

I started with 5.1 on 3 cores, 5.0 next 3, 49 last 2 on LLC3 with 1.33V. Temps are max 68 degrees with heavy loads.

Cheers!

xeromist wrote:

Hello there again, I noticed a problem with PCI express, it always works on 8X, how can I fix that?

Full spec include All sata drive + nvme
pic of pc > also bios setting

The whole spec is on my profile, but anyway, all is good right now and works like should.

I figured out everything and even found my clip for PCI-E 😉

Cheers!:cool:

lLegendaary
Level 9
How many ssd do you have ?
Maybe your using 8x on bios setting or just using Lane you have to run another slot for NVME

i need your spec to analyse

lLegendaary
Level 9
Oh what was the problem ?

My i7 10700k it's not prepared for auto settings I believe, for sure not after a longer while of gaming.
Thanks to Asus this time, first time actually...

After fair manual OC works great so problem SOLVED : D
About PCi-E probably was energy-saving plan what is also fixed.

Edit: BTW> These shiny clips are sooo bad... This is my 5th ASUS mobo, my previous one is IX formula and I can say honestly it's really 60/40 overall including box and this CD-ROM inside instead of nice pendrive 😛 For almost 550 Euros? C'mon people...

Shiny parts looks worse that on IX formula and lavers/ clips from PCI-E are just bad and not rly easy to access by adult person hand. This LED lighting looks way cheaper than back in days... But performance is fine by me, that's most important here 😮