cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crosshair VIII Formula Latest Chipset Drivers Asus vs AMD are different

Super_Gnome
Level 11
The latest chipset driver set posted on the Asus support page (Version 2.04.09.131, dated June 11, 2020) is a different set than the latest posted for X570 chipsets on the AMD website (2.04.28.626, release date June 3, 2020). This is very confusing. Which do you use and why?

Also, if you have already downloaded the earlier date ones from the AMD site and then downloaded the later date ones from the Asus website, you get the message that the ones on the Asus website will be replacing newer ones are already installed.

High fives Asus!

Also, it is probably a waste of time contacting Asus about it so I have shot an email to AMD support about it and will post the reply when getting it.
13 REPLIES 13

MoKiChU
Level 40
Hi,

These are just different versions, it's the same type of drivers package :

- Latest version from my thread (Windows 10 only) : 2.05.04.352 WHQL [04/05/2020] : [DRIVERS] AMD Chipset/SATA (3xx/4xx/5xx/TRX40)
- Latest version from your motherboard support page (Windows 7 & Windows 10) : 2.04.09.131 WHQL [09/04/2020]
- Latest version from AMD (Windows 7 & Windows 10) : 2.04.28.626 WHQL [28/04/2020]

Super_Gnome
Level 11
Right, it's the same type, but why are the ones dated on the Asus page older but have a newer date? I mean do the people at Asus know what they are doing? Evidently not. They posted the wrong ones.

Also, where did you get newer drivers than both Asus and AMD have posted? And why arent both Asus and AMD posting those? All of this makes no sense.

Super Gnome wrote:
Right, it's the same type, but why are the ones dated on the Asus page older but have a newer date? I mean do the people at Asus know what they are doing? Evidently not. They posted the wrong ones.

Also, where did you get newer drivers than both Asus and AMD have posted? And why arent both Asus and AMD posting those? All of this makes no sense.

It makes perfect sense just download latest ones from link below and stop overthinking things or trying place blame. The issue is based in your own learning curve not the fault of someone or something being wrong. There is process behind why each have different versions of the drivers and just like BIOS unless you have specific reason you just want the latest one of each.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

RedSector73 wrote:
It makes perfect sense just download latest ones from link below and stop overthinking things or trying place blame. The issue is based in your own learning curve not the fault of someone or something being wrong. There is process behind why each have different versions of the drivers and just like BIOS unless you have specific reason you just want the latest one of each.
https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-socket-am4/x570

Thanks for commenting. And this is not out of disrespect for your post or point of view. It's not that I'm trying to place blame at all. The post is mainly to provide some constructive criticism. The fact that Asus is posting an old and out of date driver after AMD's release of a newer driver to me signals that I have paid for a premium motherboard by a maker that is not only late, but would make customers falsely believe they have a new driver, when that is plainly not the case. Hence, it is not only late, but misleading.

The point of my post was mainly that, to provide some constructive criticism to Asus. Second, it is to be helpful to customers like me who once or twice a year are wondering why something is wrong with their system when it crashes, restarts suddenly, starts to hang out of the blue or otherwise shows signs of trouble. With Asus this is my third motherboard, and it always comes down to software--and usually a driver, in my experience--and probably due to a driver conflict that doesn't jive with the latest Windows update or something along those lines.

Have a nice day. 😄

In the end it boils down to this: Asus has a few times asked me to fill out a survey about whether or not I would recommend their products to others. Well, assuming you don't want to be the reason someone else built a computer but is having problems with it and doesn't know why-- would you recommend Asus products to others?

Super Gnome wrote:
The fact that Asus is posting an old and out of date driver after the AMD's release of a newer driver to me signals that I have paid for a premium motherboard by a maker that is not only late, but would make customers falsely believe they have a new driver, when that is plainly not the case. Hence, it is not only late, but misleading.

Hi,

The date ASUS displays on the support page corresponds to the time when ASUS uploaded these drivers to their servers and not to the date of signing the drivers package itself (my previous post gave you indications on the real date signing of drivers packages, not the AMD marketing date, not the ASUS server release date).

Regarding the fact that ASUS releases drivers out of step with what the manufacturer does, this has always been generally the case, the example of NVIDIA or Intel drivers is quite telling.

Note : If everything was perfect at ASUS at this level (and other motherboard manufacturers do not do better, rest assured), the different threads that I propose would have no reason to be.

Super Gnome wrote:
would you recommend Asus products to others?

Subjective but mainly because their products work, have good support, fairly good warranty / RMA process, and do what I want them to, at the price I am willing to pay. I think for their drivers there validation process/lag is reasonable or no worse than any other manufacturer. Although like 99% of everyone out there I go the source to get drivers and not wait for ASUS or anyone else (WHQL) to catch up and I don't make posts suggesting this is somehow wrong - with the greatest respect to you and your post but if you don't want commenting then use ASUS ticket support that way you don't have anyone who may have different point of view to you or knowledge commenting on your stated claims.

Lastly the few times I had driver or BIOS issues, ASUS have fixed them in days once I hit the right department and make the formal request. YMMV.

RedSector73 wrote:
Subjective but mainly because their products work, have good support, fairly good warranty / RMA process, and do what I want them to and the price I am willing to pay. I think for their drivers there validation process/lag is reasonable or no worse than any other manufacturer. Although like 99% of everyone out there I go the source to get drivers and not wait for ASUS or anyone else (WHQL) to catch up and I don't make posts suggesting this is somehow wrong - with the greatest respect to you and your post but if you don't want commenting then use asus ticket support that way you don't have any chancce anyone may have different point of view to you or knowledge base on which to look though your claims.

Hi,

Indeed, I completely agree, moreover it would be in bad faith on my part if I do not specify why there is this delay on the part of ASUS : This one is due to the ASUS quality test (in addition to the quality tests operated by the device manufacturer).

RedSector73 wrote:
I go the source to get drivers and not wait for ASUS or anyone else (WHQL) to catch up

So, then what is the source of the chipset drivers in this case, X570? I have no idea what the source is if it is not AMD or Asus. And in this case WHQL has newer drivers than both!! Clarification would be great and extremely helpful.

Also, don't get me wrong, but I have built two systems in the last year or so with Asus motherboards. Both systems have had their share of difficulties (crashes, hangs, sudden restarts, and sometimes when I need reliability) and I check for updates every single day. I check for them six ways. First, I use security software to check. Then I run Windows updater. Then I run Intel Driver & Support Assistant. After that I run GeForce experience. I then check the Asus website and after that the AMD website.

Now after taking twenty minutes out of my day every day (no joke) you are telling me I am doing it wrong by not going to the source. But in all honesty, if the above do not provide access to the "source" then what it is? Honestly, with Apple computers, you can be sure you are completely up to date in about five seconds.

The main point here is my systems are crashing or having issues at times due to software/driver problems, so what else should you do? What is the source of the X570 chipset drivers in this case?

Also, AMD shot me an email back and this is what they said:

"the latest version of the chipset from ASUS will have some latest updates from motherboard manufacture."

Fine, so then the drivers from Asus are the newer ones, but when you try to install them you get the message that you already have newer drivers installed. So that makes all this even more confusing.

All I can say is blah. Anyhow, if you could tell me what the "source" is, or what I am doing wrong, then that would be very helpful.

I have ROG Crosshair VIII Forumla & 3950x - I recently downloaded new BIOS (2010) and it unzipped and installed fine. I downloaded the ASUS chipset drivers and utilities but these will not unzip - while the chipset file is just over 50 MB I get an error saying the zip file is invalid. I've downloaded many zip files for application updates, etc without any issue. I've tried downloading the ASUS chipset drivers on multiple PCs with the same result.

It doesn't sound like others are having this issue?? I did download the X570 drivers from AMD - I've always installed updated from the MOBO manufacture. I'm inferring from this discussion that the X570 drivers are interchangeable from ASUS or from AMD??

I'm trying to resolve some occasional flaky behavior - hangs (can alt-tab to different apps but not actually do anything) or complete freeze...

Also, I have two Seagate 4 TB drives in RAID 1 and when downloading the updated RaidXpert drivers I get the same zip file error..

I've built several Intel platforms without issue so this is a bit frustrating....

TIA for any feedback or responses.