cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Questions regarding Twin Turbo on the Asus g73jw-xa1

Retired
Not applicable
Hello, I've recently received my g73 from amazon and I have a few questions regarding the Twin Turbo function. First off, I've read reviews that says that Twin Turbo actually reduces performance during games. Is this true? if so, why?

Secondly, is it safe to leave Twin Turbo on permanently? Thank you for your responses!
4 REPLIES 4

Retired
Not applicable
Beats me, everytime I push the button for mine, my computer crashes and I have to reinstall Wondows hah.

Chastity
Level 10
Ellimist13 wrote:
Hello, I've recently received my g73 from amazon and I have a few questions regarding the Twin Turbo function. First off, I've read reviews that says that Twin Turbo actually reduces performance during games. Is this true? if so, why?

Secondly, is it safe to leave Twin Turbo on permanently? Thank you for your responses!

The reason you loose performance is due to how Intel TurboBoost works. The Twin Turbo overclock forces the chip down to it's base multiplier, and this happens whenever you overclock on the mobility platform. In the case of the 720QM for example, the multiplier is 12xFSB. TurboBoost will up the multiplier by 1, so at stock settings, the chip is running at 13xFSB. So when you overclock, you need to raise the FSB high enough to overcome the loss of the extra multiplier. Also, TurboBoost will dynamically adjust the CPU speed based on load, so the gains from TurboBoost are superior to your gains from overclocking with Twin Turbo. Twin Turbo boosts the FSB to 173 I believe, which is near the max most get with overclocking with SetFSB, so there's no point.

If you have an Extreme chip, this is another story, as they overclock a lot better.
[SIGPIC]Kicking Ass Since Today[/SIGPIC]

so will it be more beneficial to run heavy graphic games with no twin turbo mode correct?
i kept observed the clock speed of 720QM and turbo boost pushes the cpu up to 2.68 Ghz one time i checked, but i couldn't really tell the support from twin turbo mode...

the question that bothered me on my mind was that why ASUS made something that will not even help on the computer performances?
they may have tested it and was sure it will improve the performance but now they realize it doesn't work?

i'm so confused.... T___T

Retired
Not applicable
nday76 wrote:
so will it be more beneficial to run heavy graphic games with no twin turbo mode correct?

Test with and without and decide for yourself!

nday76 wrote:
the question that bothered me on my mind was that why ASUS made something that will not even help on the computer performances?

Third-party overclocking aside, it helps on CPU performance in most situations (where all cores are not fully loaded so the multiplier does not get limited), BUT it's only a maximum 7% increase in performance so are you really going to notice it in your CPU-intensive applications - if you even have any? Most users don't. It's not as noticeable as Asus' marketing makes it sound like it will be. 🙂

I don't buy the blanket statements like "it's been proven - the machine runs slower in twin turbo mode" and "FPS drops in games with Twin Turbo mode on". I can't duplicate the former, and the latter (FPS) isn't even relevant (although Asus marketing makes it sound like it is). Using a game as a CPU benchmark? Come on.. There's too many variables to get accurate benchmarks. A benchmark app needs complete control over thread scheduling - especially which core(s) threads run on, and that's just not easy in Windows. Regardless, I see an improvement with pretty much everything I test. But again, it's <= 7% improvement...not really noticeable as far as user experience goes. I'll leave it on or leave it off...I can't tell the difference. May as well leave it on...over a year I might save a few seconds.