cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Does anyone make their own laptop heat sinks?

jasonmbrown
Level 8
Just wondering if anyone here does welding/heatpipe assembly. I really want to beef up my GL531GT's cooling with the same one thats in the GL531GW. (I Believe the L is just for Backlit keyboard). But since the assembly from the GW and GT are incompatible with one another (Why asus did you move the cpu and gpu in the GT), I will probably have to see about sending someone parts/design and get it all welded together. At the very least I want to get the Extra heat fins (Which i assume are aluminum).

Basically I want the GW thermal Assembly in the GT (Top one -> Bottom One)
---G531GW--- I want all this copper
---G531GT--- I have this laptop

Sooo, Any thoughts?

Note: My Goal is to have Peak temps of 60 while heavy gaming, and no more then 75 under Artificial Stress
3 REPLIES 3

xeromist
I don't know... You're talking not just soldering but flat pipes and custom bends. There might not be anyone who does bespoke work like that. It would likely be cheaper to sell your GT and buy a GW if that's what you want. Does the GW even hit those temps?

It would be interesting to know which was designed first. The GW has a more isolated design with only a single small pipe bridging the chips where the GT has larger pipes spanning everything so that both fans can work together.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

I found a user on aliexpress who does custom prototype heatpipe builds (guess he probably works in a factory that does it, and might just do it in spare time for the extra cash) its not super expensive to just get the heatpipes bent, but sending the exact dimensions and bends of the pipes isn't that easy without the GW model.

The Gw has more then twice the tdp as the GT, so more heat to dissipate. I mostly just want cooler cpu and gpu. I might pay for the service down the road. Dont think it will be more then 100$ Cad. (I will have to solder/weld them together but the bends will all be made)

xeromist
Well, if you decide to do it please post it because it sounds like an interesting project.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…