cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF A17 fa706iu PERMANENT CPU frequency changing

redmastering
Level 7
this is my very post here, so if it's incorrect thread or place, please let me know

I own brand new asus tuf a17, amd 4800h based laptop
my main problem is that whatever SPEED I set (SILENT, PERFORMANCE< TURBO) the CPU is downclocking and up clocking non stop, every sec from 1.4 to 4.2
this have deadly outcome on any audio, pro studio work, as it creates a few milisec audio drops when CPU goes up/down
it means, when I work with audio, or/and pro DJ setup, I have a system which is unusable at th moment...

Please let me know how I can set CPU to constant and stable freq?
I had 6 years old laptop and never had issue like this, as I was able to set PC in win10 as HIGH PERFORMANCE, and there were no issues,
if the performance was set on SAVER mode, there were same issues like now with TUFa17
and even when I switch to WINDOWS control performance, the CPU goes up&down like crazy, every sec big jum from 1.4 to 4.0 or 4.2 Ghz
I am sure there must be an option to set this downclocking and upclocking cpu OFF and set it as constant.

Very unfortunate, yours ARMORY CRATE soft does not allow to tweak it, no way to personalize cpu and gpu behavior per program,
so let's say I want laptop to go into TURBO mode but with GPU off, for certain audio programs, when I do not need gpu, but I need fast CPU
I cannot do this at the moment, and it's very frustrating this machine does not allow me to work,
so when I work with heavy load cpu programs I swith to TURBO and have gpu running and getting whole system hot for no purpose at all

another issue is I would like to start a win10 system from a sdd drive via USB3 port. Not possible, searched internet, tried many difficult solutions, and still no luck to run a system from other media (usb drive/ped, etc), BIOS can see the devise, but no way to set it up in boot...
some info on the net didnt help, as this tuf17 bios is super basic, even lacking easy setup to launch windows from another device..
I am not it illiterate, working with computers over 20 years, remember difficulies with launching win from usb ...but here, I can't even manage to set up BIOS to launch from usb

please help!
5 REPLIES 5

xeromist
I'm not sure if you can set a fixed frequency on a modern mobile chip. They are designed to adjust clocks due to limited power and cooling. On a desktop you can use overclocking features to set a fixed frequency but most laptops lack those options.

Intel chips have Throttlestop and XTU that can be used to tweak some CPU parameters on laptops but I'm not aware of anything that works on Ryzen 4000 currently.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

gaetanM3V
Level 7
redmastering wrote:
this is my very post here, so if it's incorrect thread or place, please let me know

I own brand new asus tuf a17, amd 4800h based laptop
my main problem is that whatever SPEED I set (SILENT, PERFORMANCE< TURBO) the CPU is downclocking and up clocking non stop, every sec from 1.4 to 4.2
this have deadly outcome on any audio, pro studio work, as it creates a few milisec audio drops when CPU goes up/down
it means, when I work with audio, or/and pro DJ setup, I have a system which is unusable at th moment...

Please let me know how I can set CPU to constant and stable freq?
I had 6 years old laptop and never had issue like this, as I was able to set PC in win10 as HIGH PERFORMANCE, and there were no issues,
if the performance was set on SAVER mode, there were same issues like now with TUFa17
and even when I switch to WINDOWS control performance, the CPU goes up&down like crazy, every sec big jum from 1.4 to 4.0 or 4.2 Ghz
I am sure there must be an option to set this downclocking and upclocking cpu OFF and set it as constant.

Very unfortunate, yours ARMORY CRATE soft does not allow to tweak it, no way to personalize cpu and gpu behavior per program,
so let's say I want laptop to go into TURBO mode but with GPU off, for certain audio programs, when I do not need gpu, but I need fast CPU
I cannot do this at the moment, and it's very frustrating this machine does not allow me to work,
so when I work with heavy load cpu programs I swith to TURBO and have gpu running and getting whole system hot for no purpose at all

We have to figure out this issue. I'm working with a tuf a17, ryzen 7 4800h too, and for audio work too. This could affect anyone needing a fast CPU response with real-time processing... I do have the same problem, but even if the processor is also oscillating between 1.4 Ghz and 4.3 Ghz, my digital audio workstation (fl studio) seems to operate properly most of the time. However there could be like 3 "bugs" per hour of work... This is not reliable enough !

Blake1
Level 10
Hello redmastering,
This is a common situation for all devices in order to save power.
And for AMD devices, frequency can not be fixed by software.
Sorry about it, and your opinion has been reported.
Thank you.

Firmware throttling highly likely. Since TUF laptops have terrible cooling, ASUS added restrictions to the CPU to stop the laptop from overheating. These restrictions cannot be removed without modding the BIOS or firmware, which only expert users can do. At least with intel, you can use throttlestop/xtu to alleviate the problem, but not ryzen.

Blake@ASUS wrote:
Hello redmastering,
This is a common situation for all devices in order to save power.
And for AMD devices, frequency can not be fixed by software.
Sorry about it, and your opinion has been reported.
Thank you.
To save power? What does that even mean? It's a gaming laptop, not a Macbook. If the charger is plugged in, I expect nothing less than full power from the machine. Did you intentionally weakened this laptop because the cooling system is bad, Asus?