cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rog theta 7.1 Settings

baddarnbror
Level 7
Hello everyone! i have a question about the Theta 7.1 headset. Are you supposed to use the spatial sound on in the windows settings? And the virtual surround sound on in the Armoury crate?
12 REPLIES 12

MasterC
Community Admin
Community Admin
There isn't a need for spatial sound effects, those are mainly for people with stereo (2-channel) headphones. Same goes for virtual surround, no need for that either since you already have real physical surround channels.

baddarnbror wrote:
Hello everyone! i have a question about the Theta 7.1 headset. Are you supposed to use the spatial sound on in the windows settings? And the virtual surround sound on in the Armoury crate?

MasterC@ASUS wrote:
There isn't a need for spatial sound effects, those are mainly for people with stereo (2-channel) headphones. Same goes for virtual surround, no need for that either since you already have real physical surround channels.

It would be nice if not almost all profiles from Armoury Crate would have virtual surround turned on. Not to mention I can't find any default profile that is somewhat ok. Turning off virtual surround drops volume to half or less, EQ settings are just terrible, voice clarity changes timber, compressor (loudness equalization) is worse than default from windows, bass boost I just keep it turned off. Than again I would give up using Armoury Crate, but with default windows drivers there is no LFE channel, so 7.1 is actually 7.0.

Bottom line, no matter what I do which driver I use, windows default or sonic studio slapped on top, the experience so far it's terrible. At this point I would just throw this headphone at the wall and forget it, but it was a very expensive.

Please give us a default profile with the most accurate sound reproduction this headphone can provide for games/music/movies. A good start would be no virtual surround, all flat except a tuned EQ and compressor set to a level you think is generally ok.

Thanks

Many of us feel the same way. We buy a really expensive product with the expectation that we get what you pay for.. Cheap products tend to be bad quality overall.. This product on the other hand is very well done. Materials nare exc3ellent, design could be improved (cables), sound can be greatly improved and volume greatly needs it because it is very weak. Bass is almost non existent compared to any Bob Marley which are about a third of the price. 7.1 is actually not there.. the bass again does not exist practically. No matter how much you tweak the app recommended for it (Armory crate) your audio will always seem to be missing a lot of volume, quality is not bad but volume is terrible an dbass is not there.

LordSendo
Level 7
Today i installed a new m.2 drive in my PC which caused a fresh install of windows.
I installed the armory crate for the Theta 7.1 drivers,
Now windows only detects my headset as stereo, When i click the drop down option for selecting 7.1 its unavailable.
Windows detect the drivers as Generic USB Drivers. Even in Armoury crate i only have the option of virtual surround
which no matter what i listen too only shows audio playing the Front Left and Front Right channels.

I remember having this problem before, found the fix on a online forum but after 3 hours of searching i am unable to find that post.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

LordSendo wrote:
Today i installed a new m.2 drive in my PC which caused a fresh install of windows.
I installed the armory crate for the Theta 7.1 drivers,
Now windows only detects my headset as stereo, When i click the drop down option for selecting 7.1 its unavailable.
Windows detect the drivers as Generic USB Drivers. Even in Armoury crate i only have the option of virtual surround
which no matter what i listen too only shows audio playing the Front Left and Front Right channels.

I remember having this problem before, found the fix on a online forum but after 3 hours of searching i am unable to find that post.

Thanks for your time and consideration!

Me too for ROG Theta 7.1. I know the hardware works but I can't make the driver settings 7.1! Fix it ASUS!

Hi guys,

You shouldn't need virtual surround or any 7.1 surround emulator as you have the physical channels with four speakers in each ear cup for a total of 8 channels or 7.1.

Games and Media recognize this as full surround and route each channel accordingly.

Hi Nate,

Sorry but this is not 7.1.   

See, the number 1 means bass... 1 bass. The headsets lacks bass. Just 8 speakers which don't have enough power to do the job of a bass. Headset needs serious improvements in terms of sound power and capabilities.

Volume is always low no matter what you do. There is no way to fix this with drivers in my opinion. Redesign would probably work better.

The product is excellent in terms of materials used and how robust they are. They will not break easily and cables certainly will no break ever unless you cut it with scissors. Which I wouldn't do for is such an expensive product. 

For another $100 I could have purchased a professional DJ headset. I don't mind the money as long as it is an excellent product. 

Dan

psychomance
Level 8
baddarnbror wrote:

Do NOT use spatial sound emulators such as Dolby Atmos and DTS Headphone X because they will set your headphones back to stereo and then emulate surround. Your headphones should just let true surround audio flow through, if your headphones actually work, which is the catch-all-question for 7.1 surround sound. Use windows control panel (not windows settings) in order to set up your headphones for true 7.1 surround sound. Asus is messed up, because true 7.1 surround is almost impossible to guarantee from day-to-day right now (12 Feb 2022)

Thank you for this, I spent hours last night trying to find a solution!