cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ASUS Maximius XII Hero and Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2T

eegee
Level 7
Hi,

I have 2 new Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2TB (NVME). Both are not detected by BIOS nor OS (Windows 10 2004)

My Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB works properly in all 3 M.2 Slots.

Has anybody got a running Maximus XII board with this specific Version of Samsungs 970 EVO PLUS NVMEs? (2TB Version)

Neither ASUS Support nor Samsung Support nor me can believe that both 2TB are defect.

Thanks in advance!

Harald
22 REPLIES 22

eegee
Level 7
I'm sending them back (970 Evo Plus 2TB) - lets see, how their replacements do...

Saltgrass
Level 13
You are pretty fast on the trigger with sending them back. I am running a 970 Pro on my system and it works fine although it is only a 1 TB model. I am also not running the i9 processor, although I finally got one, but other folks are having strange shutdown or boot situations with those.

But I could only ask which ports you are putting one of them in and how are those ports configured. Do you have other devices in PCIe slots?

I assume the drives do not show up in the Bios? Of course, you have to be running UEFI to see the drives. .just checking.. 😉

I had a little trouble getting the screws back in the heat sinks correctly until I discovered you could hold them up or remove them completely so you could line up the screw holes..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Thanks for your response!
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 500GB == 500G
Samsung 970 EVO PLUS 2 TB == 2T

Good to hear that 1TB Version also works.

I had a week with ASUS and SAMSUNG support, and we tried really a lot.
No one of us would believe that 2 NVMes could be defect.

-> Findings: both 2T never worked in any test scenario. But ASUS Support couldn’t confirm that this Version works -> Therefor my Post here

What did we try:
First of course BIOS settings (CSM disabled, SATA disabled, UEFI Boot, M.2 Slot Settings)
BIOS Versions: 220(or so), 504, 607 and beta 703
I tried each of them alone in every slot including CMOS Reset. (6 Tests – 2pcs. * 3slots)
I tried to run each of them with my working 500G Version. (4 tests)
I downloaded the Samsung Firmware Update Software (Linux based – via USB) -> no detection.
I borrowed a Kingston NVMe which also immediately worked alone and with the 500G

-> So all 3 Slots on the board work – but none of the 2T ever gave a life sign.

I have to say here, that ASUS Support was exceptionally forthcoming and helpful!

wbr

Saltgrass
Level 13
If a drive was going to work, it should just work. Since you have gone through all that trouble and have not found a fix, I agree, having two bad drives is not likely.

I checked the controller on the drives and it seems to be the same as the 970 Pro I have. The difference designation may revolve around memory configuration so perhaps this is causing the problem. I wish I could get one to test, but they are rather expensive..

Since you have no way to get the Samsung Magician software to run, you can't check for a firmware upgrade.. ?

I am wondering about your Bios versions. My board came with 603, which I thought was the original version..Maybe I have forgotten already..

It may even be a problem with win 10. I am running in the Insider program and using the latest build. It is suggesting optional drivers like a 5/6 generation Xeon PCIe driver. It may just be that Win 10 needs to be updated with the new devices.

You have installed the Chipset Drivers so all of your System devices are showing correctly?
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass
Level 13
Any updates regarding your drives..? If you were going to keep those for another couple of weeks, I would get one like that to try..

I remember when I installed my 970. I am going to bring the board's design up as being problematic when it comes to installing. At least regarding the M2_2 drive slot because of the screw locations. I had a heck of a time keeping my drive fully inserted in the connector while trying to install the heatsink.. Usually those drives are secured with the small screw. In this case, the small screw is replaced by the screw that holds down the heatsink. Since you can't see beneath the heat sink while install, it is really hard to make sure the drive hasn't slipped out of the connector. It gets even harder when the thermal strip sticks to the drive..

I have seen reports the 2 TB version can get hot. Don't take offense, but I had to triple check to make sure I had removed the protective covering from the thermal strip.. It is easy to forget..

And the last thing is a little off topic, but folks have noticed the board is not sleeping using the sleep timer. If you put it to sleep, it works but the sleep timer has no effect. Is yours doing that? If you don't yet have the board operational due to the drive situation, I suppose you would not yet know. 😉
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

I sent them back on Friday 3rd of July – so I expect the replacements to arrive next week.

Thanks for your offer. I still give this a 50/50% chance to be a bios thing. If the replacements work, I was just unlucky – if not, it’s a bios problem.

Yes, I saw the problem with the M2_2 slot – my workaround would be, to screw down the M2_2 directly and leave the heatsink screw empty. The heatsink has 4 screws and I think it to be tight enough with 3 screws to hold properly. Especially as the thermo strips are quite thick. I would check which of my (hopefully soon) 3 M2s runs at the least temperature and use that one in M2_2.

Just for the testing/fixing period, I didn’t mount the heatsink. The 970_evo_plus_500GB gets 51° Celsius, so a heatsink will be necessary.

My sleep mode works properly, as of now. (with the one 970-500GB) – but there are also 3 SATA drives … maybe that makes a difference. (BIOS 607 and since last week beta 703)

Thank you, sincerely!

Saltgrass
Level 13
I went ahead and ordered drive so it should be available Wednesday.. The drive is a little different in that it has more memory layers so perhaps something isn't behaving. If there is a problem with Win 10 or the motherboard, hopefully someone is working on it.

When I checked my 970 the other day, I tried using the normal hold down screw then putting the heatsink on. It felt to me like the heatsink did not fit down well but you are correct about the thickness of the heatsink, it should give enough leeway..

I just got my i9 10900k installed yesterday, so the systems will be alike for testing.
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Whow, thank you!

I still hope that your new m.2 will simply work. Otherwise I would have a guilty conscience sending mine back as faulty.

So, I'm looking forward to hear from you.

I checked the heatsink again - and it has a small distancing metal disk (flat washer) at the M2_2 screw permanently mounted on the heatsink..
So I think I will take your approach and fiddle the heatsink on the not screwed down M.2.
Otherwise I will have to remove this flat washer.

I'm not going to switch M.2s often 😉

eegee wrote:

I still hope that your new m.2 will simply work. Otherwise I would have a guilty conscience sending mine back as faulty.

We had a little twist today and this is probably related to your situation. Another user noticed the Bios settings for Secure Boot were set to Other OS instead of Windows UEFI. When I checked my settings, it also shows Other OS instead of Windows UEFI so it appears the original Bios setting is incorrect.

If you have problems when the drives are available, you might check that setting. I did install the 2 TB drive with it set to Other OS... I have, of course, changed it to Windows UEFI and the system continues to boot normally..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200