cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus g74sx Spacebar issue

thejanitor86
Level 7
so i just got this laptop at tigerdirect outlet. i originally bought a sony vaio f series but it had a bad usb port so i returned it and got this. but the spacebar is very picky. it barely registers on the right side. it seems it has to be hit within the middle setion to register most of the time. so my question is are most of these laptops like this or should i exchange it for another. i hate the thought of transfering all my games and files over for second time in a week but i would rather have a spacebar that works. whats your thoughts?

ps. is the spacebar not backlight on the right side for everyone?
10 REPLIES 10

BrodyBoy
Level 10
Unfortunately, this spacebar thing seems to be a common complaint about the G74. It doesn't bother me, but other owners have voiced your same annoyance with it.

well after looking at it carefully i realised it is because the actual button is in the center that when the spacebar is hit on the sides it just pivots on the button and doesnt actual press is. so what i have am trying at the moment is i stuck a thin plastic piece above the actual button under the spacebar so that it gets pressed easier. so far so good. after a week of trial i may just glue the piece in. i will let you know how it goes.

Now that's just pathetic, you buy a new computer and you have to glue a piece of plastic under a key to make it work correctly.

What you are observing here with the key toggle on the space bar is also observable to a lesser degree, but still noticeable, on all the keys on this keyboard. If you hit a key off-center there is a chance it will not register. This happens to me all the time, and from others comments about missed keystrokes, it happens quite often. I've said it before, ASUS, this is a horrible keyboard mechanical design and you should own up to it and fix it.

Bojamijams
Level 7
I have this problem also with the space bar and the V key. Very annoying. I hope ASUS listens to this but I don't know, not having the greatest confidence.

Thejanitor, was removing the space key easy? Did you just pry it off? I always wanted to look under to see if I can fix it but was always afraid of breaking it

thejanitor86
Level 7
i didn't actually take of the space key. i just very gently lifted it up as high as it would go. and then took a precision flat head screw driver and push the button down. then i slid a little piece of plastic above the actual button. its been 3 days now and the space bar is amazing. even pressing on the very edge registers. i dont know if it would be possible to do this with the V key however. since the key is much smaller. if it was more then just the spacebar i would have returned it. but for now i am happy.

Bojamijams
Level 7
What piece of plastic did you use?

dstrakele
Level 14
See this thread (http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?9245-Cause-of-unresponsive-sluggish-keys-on-G74) if you wish to try any keyboard key modifications.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

mwyeoh
Level 7
Thanks for sharing thejanitor86!
I was having issues with my spacebar too! The right hand side was quite unresponsive but the left occasionally gave problems.
I added a couple of pieces of cardboard (It was really thin cardboard, so one layer wasnt enough) and now its really responsive!

The other post from the other thread (from dstrakele's link ) by griftir was also the same solution

Hey fellas, this is my fourth G74Sx with the same space bar issue along with the left cursor key missing keystrokes. Is there a
universal fix for this? I haven't touched any BIOS, etc. I just received my fourth one on Friday. Thanks.