cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus G73SW Completely dead

Aysoos
Level 7
I have been running into quite a lot of problems recently, to a point where my 5 year old computer was more reliable than the G73. The G73SW had some lockups, where it could not be Ctrl-Alt-Del and needed a force shut down (Holding powerbutton down). Then, the Asus BIOS would not show up and then I had to hold down the power button and keep starting it until it showed up. After the Windows splash, it would become a black screen. Read the dmp file- driver problem for graphics. Tried almost all. Then, it shut down, and refused to go past the BIOS screen, and then automatically shut down. Now, it won't even respond to the power button. It won't respond to the charger, and nothing. Totally dead. Tried the remove all power sources and hold down power button- Nothing. Is there anything I did wrong during the process? Or did I receive a defective unit?
16 REPLIES 16

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi there

I'm sorry to hear about all the issues you recently have experienced! 😞

First off, when did you get your G73SW? If it's still under warranty the best you can do is to RMA the situation, but that will be the last you will do if either me or other members/admins on this forum can't help you out.

There is something I don't understand, what do you mean by it refused to go past BIOS screen? Is it the Asus Splash screen you're thinking on ? Or can you access the BIOS ?

You say that you have tried to take out the battery and then hold down the power button for 30 sec and that didn't help.

When you put the charger on the notebook does a light turn on in front of the notebook, that telling you it's charging?

Have you tried not to connect the battery and only use the charger to give the power for your notebook?

You could try to take out your HDD and/or RAM sticks and insert them again (I know that you can not access all the RAM stick because you got 2 under the MB and 2 over, and if you want to access them you need to tear down your notebook.)
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

fuzon1337 wrote:
Hi there

I'm sorry to hear about all the issues you recently have experienced! 😞

First off, when did you get your G73SW? If it's still under warranty the best you can do is to RMA the situation, but that will be the last you will do if either me or other members/admins on this forum can't help you out.

There is something I don't understand, what do you mean by it refused to go past BIOS screen? Is it the Asus Splash screen you're thinking on ? Or can you access the BIOS ?

You say that you have tried to take out the battery and then hold down the power button for 30 sec and that didn't help.

When you put the charger on the notebook does a light turn on in front of the notebook, that telling you it's charging?

Have you tried not to connect the battery and only use the charger to give the power for your notebook?

You could try to take out your HDD and/or RAM sticks and insert them again (I know that you can not access all the RAM stick because you got 2 under the MB and 2 over, and if you want to access them you need to tear down your notebook.)

It doesnt show a light to show that it is charging and only shows a brief flash and then it is gone. It is still under warranty so I can RMA it. I cannot access the BIOS at all, as it is now an expensive paperweight. I tried disconnecting the battery and using only the charger to no avail. I am afraid to open my new computer as it might void the warranty.

fuzon1337
Level 10
Okey.... hmm....

You will not void the warranty as long as you are careful and does not remove any lables that says "If removed, warranty voided" or something.

Since we got the same notebook.... (almost since I don't know if you got a 3DE model or a normal one :P)
You're able to remove and instert 2 ramsticks and perhaps 2 harddrives and a WiFi card without the warranty being voided 🙂

It's late here and now, so the bed is calling, I'll come back to you tomorrow if no other users have comed with other brilliant suggestions for you. (And I know someone in this forum will chip in and help 😉 )

I hope you get this problem fixed asap! 😉
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

I have the G73SW-BST 6 (Best Buy Version with the gimped video card and slower HDD). I've decided to RMA it. Whats the worst case scenario? Refusal to fix? Thats my greatest fear- If they don't fix it, I'll have to live with an extremely expensive paperweight. Will they send me back the list of problems? And what are the chances that they'll give me a new one?

Aysoos
Level 7
Ok- It seems that the power socket wasn't working properly :rolleyes: but I still seem to have problems. Windows does not boot properly and will only boot into safe mode. I have formatted and reinstalled. The problem seems to be the Video Card drivers. Reading the dmp- it says that it is probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys. Upon further research, it seems to be a video card driver problem. Which driver should I install that is the most stable?

Aysoos wrote:
I have the G73SW-BST 6 (Best Buy Version with the gimped video card and slower HDD).

Okey, so which video card is in your notebook?

Aysoos wrote:
Whats the worst case scenario? Refusal to fix?

Some other members here are not proud of the service they get, becuase the notebook they sent in, come worse back out or they didn't fix anything.
My opinion on the repair center here in norway is very good. But the first time I sent my notebook in to repair for issue with the backlit keyboard, the repair center went bankrouptcy and it took over a month with calls, to find out the status and which new repair center it was sent to.
And now when I sent it in last time, it took one week before I got it back and everything works as it should 🙂

Aysoos wrote:
Will they send me back the list of problems? And what are the chances that they'll give me a new one?

About a list of problems.... that depends how professional the repair center is. The chances taht they'll give you a new one, is very low I think. They will try source down the problem and fix it, so you can get it back with your files and such. But if they stumble on other issues that they do a recovery option (factory restore) then you're screwd 😛

Aysoos wrote:
Ok- It seems that the power socket wasn't working properly :rolleyes:

So the power suply works fine now or still issues with it ?

Aysoos wrote:
Windows does not boot properly and will only boot into safe mode. I have formatted and reinstalled. The problem seems to be the Video Card drivers. Reading the dmp- it says that it is probably caused by : nvlddmkm.sys. Upon further research, it seems to be a video card driver problem. Which driver should I install that is the most stable?

So now you can boot into safe mode? Try to uninstall the graphic driver and let windows have it's own plug'n'play driver version (since I say that is because I'm not sure which graphic card you got. If it turns out you have the nVidia GTX 460M, try to install the graphic driver from Support Asus)
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- BIOS 205

dstrakele
Level 14
I'd probably stick with the stock 268.37 version for troubleshooting purposes. If that was successful, I'd upgrade it to the latest 296.10 WHQL.

Just out of curiosity, does your charger display a solid green LED when plugged in? It sounds like you may have.some power supply (or power plug connector) issues.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

Aysoos
Level 7
I've tried the stock drivers up to 296.10 WHQL. They've all had problems and would refuse to load the login screen (Which was one of my main problems which I didn't mention). When my computer was still working it did flash a solid green LED for a very brief moment but then continued into the login screen. I think I may just RMA it just to be safe. The stock one did have monitor flashing issues I believe, but then the latest one fixed it and came with the nvidia control panel. I have reinstalled Windows once, and I will try it again. If no different results occur, RMA it is.

dstrakele
Level 14
Good point, @fuzon. The laptop should function in VGA mode with the Windows Plug N Play video driver. I mistakenly thought he had a G74 in my earlier reply.

But I believe the G73SW has the NVIDIA GTX 460M, so the driver selection should be correct.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT