cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G74SX - BBK8 USB 3 issues

BullSpit
Level 7
I have a WD My Passport 1 TB USB 3.0 external HDD and when I attempt to copy large (over 20 gig) files to it, it always fails in the copy, when plugged in to the 3.0 port. I can put it in a 2.0 port and it works flawlessly. I have not had the opportunity to try a different USB 3.0 cable yet, but I will.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I just tried it with a Seagate 1TB USB 3.0 external HDD and the copying failed again. Same cable though, so I will try that.
33 REPLIES 33

dstrakele
Level 14
Install the latest Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver. Get it here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status= I believe that resolved a similar issue for another user.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
Install the latest Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver. Get it here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?5224-Drivers-Apps-and-How-to-s&country=&status= I believe that resolved a similar issue for another user.

It got further in copying before Windows lost the drive and the copy failed.

Pardon me while I grab some pliars and remove that useless Asus update from my notebook.

I was not even aware of the newer drivers.

dstrakele wrote:

I did some snooping in the Asus FTP server and found newer Fresco drivers.
USB3_Fresco_Win7_64_Z35300

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/G74SX/

I noticed other new drivers dated 3/14/2012 for the G74SX on the ASUS FTP link supplied by BullSpit.

Realtek Audio Win7_64_Z6016564.zip,
Intel Bluetooth Win7_64_Z1300621_Z109020620.zip
Power4Gear Hybrid_WIN7_64_Z120.zip
Splendid Win7_64_Z1020040.zip
Synaptics Touchpad Win7_64_Z153430.zip
USB 3 Freco Win7_64_Z35300.zip

I was wondering if anyone has tried these.

tgmlab wrote:
I noticed other new drivers dated 3/14/2012 for the G74SX on the ASUS FTP link supplied by BullSpit.

Realtek Audio Win7_64_Z6016564.zip,
Intel Bluetooth Win7_64_Z1300621_Z109020620.zip
Power4Gear Hybrid_WIN7_64_Z120.zip
Splendid Win7_64_Z1020040.zip
Synaptics Touchpad Win7_64_Z153430.zip
USB 3 Freco Win7_64_Z35300.zip

I was wondering if anyone has tried these.

These are the drivers listed on the G74 support page. Like many owners, I avoid bloatware like PG4 and Splendid, and I source most of my drivers directly from their manufacturers, so I'm already using more recent versions than those.

The only drivers I source from Asus are the Fresco, Sentelic, and ATK drivers, and I have no issues with my current USB 3.0 driver, so I'm not changing it. (Owners using the Azurewave wireless adapter also have to get their WLAN & BT drivers from Asus.)

dstrakele
Level 14
You could.also try installing ASUS Ai Charger Plus. It increases the voltage in the USB 3.0 port. This may help if the USB drive derives power from the USB port.

Alternatively, it may be possible to just enable USB Charging in the BIOS.
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

dstrakele wrote:
You could.also try installing ASUS Ai Charger Plus. It increases the voltage in the USB 3.0 port. This may help if the USB drive derives power from the USB port.

Alternatively, it may be possible to just enable USB Charging in the BIOS.

Many thanks for the ideas and I will try those.

Your suggestions lead me to think that the port is not getting enough power.

Can that be the case with the 3.5" HDD also?

Lost ALL USB functionality. The following code is for the Fresco USB 3.0 as well as for the Intel USB ports. A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

BullSpit wrote:
Lost ALL USB functionality. The following code is for the Fresco USB 3.0 as well as for the Intel USB ports. A driver (service) for this device has been disabled. An alternate driver may be providing this functionality. (Code 32)

So none of your USB ports are working at all? 3.0 or 2.0? Are they still listed in Device Manager?

BullSpit wrote:
Your suggestions lead me to think that the port is not getting enough power.

Can that be the case with the 3.5" HDD also?

Many have surmised that this is a power issue...but it would have no relationship to the power supplied to the SATA ports.

If you can, try this:

• Open Device Manager
  • Uninstall all USB devices
  • Restart your computer. Windows will detect the USB devices and install its own drivers.
  • Install Fresco USB 3.0 driver 3.5.24.0, and then the ASPatch included in the package