Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Same issue with a clean install. I was defregging My Passport 1 TB and Windows lost it. The ASPatch is installed as well.
    Last edited by BullSpit; 03-25-2012 at 05:26 AM.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

I'd try a different (preferably shorter) cable now that these software fixes are eliminated.

It may also be useful to test the drive on another machine.

Does the drive have the latest firmware?

Anything telling in the System Event Log from when the drive was lost?
    Last edited by dstrakele; 03-25-2012 at 06:38 AM.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Enthusiast Array

How responsive is your mouse after this new Fresco driver?

I installed it back when brodyboy suggested it first, and though it fixed the issue with transfering large data over USB3.0, my mouse is now not as responsive. RIght after startup, the mouse keys work but it takes a while before the actual cursor starts moving. And I swear, periodically, for like 0,1seconds, it turns off because mouse control is not as fluid as it used to be.

That behavior sounds like DPC Latency. Run DPC Latency Checker to troubleshoot.

Also, confirm your touchpad is disabled.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 03-25-2012 at 06:32 PM.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Seems to be around 300-400microseconds generally.

Any tips on lowering it?

I wouldn't worry about it at those levels. If you get yellow or red spikes, you try uninstalling drivers (the new Fresco Logic driver might be a good start in your case) to see if DPC Latency is reduced.

ROG Member Array

Rather than pasting all the above questions, I will answer them.... No issues with the mouse in the least, Logitech G7. I will update the firmware on the HDD, I had not thought of that. If I am seeing correctly, WD has new firmware for it. The cable is fairly short, only about 12" at the most. I will try it with another as soon as I am able. I am doubting that it is the drive(s), since the same thing happened with a Seagate USB 3.0 HDD as well. Same cable though.

Do these drives derive their electrical power from the ports themselves? If so, there are 2 options. One is a 2 male end USB cable that plugs into 2 USB ports. One provides both data and power and is plugged into the USB 3.0 port. The other is plugged into a USB 2.0 port and provides power only.

The other option is ASUS Ai Charger Plus, which also boosts electrical power from the USB 3.0 port.

I still think it may be worthwhile to examine the System and Application Event Logs for Warnings or Errors when the drive fails.

I would use the shortest USB cable supplied by the manufacturer for the specific USB HDD.

I would also confirm any power saving options are disabled for troubleshooting purposes and possibly even uninstall Power4Gear.

As for DPC Latency, if you see one red spike during a copy or defrag operation, it could be enough to disconnect the drive.
    Last edited by dstrakele; 03-26-2012 at 01:34 AM.

ROG Member Array

The firmware update on the WD My Passport appears to have corrected the issue that drive was having. I have copied at least half a TB of data to and from it with no issues. It is a 2.5" drive and uses the power from the USB port and cord.

The Seagate is a 3.5" drive that has external power. No firmware updates for it though. As soon as I can get a different cable, I will try it with the Seagate.

Many thanks gents!

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by dstrakele View Post
    Install the latest Fresco Logic USB 3.0 driver. Get it here: http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread...untry=&status= I believe that resolved a similar issue for another user.
    I did some snooping in the Asus FTP server and found newer Fresco drivers.
    USB3_Fresco_Win7_64_Z35300

ftp://ftp.asus.com.tw/pub/ASUS/nb/G74SX/

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast