cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Maximus XI HERO Wifi M.2_1 and M.2_2 not showing in BIOS 1401

cor450d
Level 7
I built a Maximus XI HERO Wifi with intel i9 with 2 Western Digital NVME SSD PCIe drives in M.2_1 and M.2_2 with Windows 10 Pro 64 bit installed on the 500gb M.2_1 slot. The M.2_2 is a 1 TB nvme using as storage only. They run great but when I go into the BIOS under Advanced>Onboard Device Configuration M.2_1 and M.2_2 does not show. My Secure Boot State is Enabled and Platform Key State Unloaded and OS Type is Other OS. Both NVME SSD drives are GPT format and in Windows System Information my BIOS MODE is UEFI. Has anyone run across this or know why this is happening? Thanks
2 REPLIES 2

RedSector73
Level 12
This is the normal procedure for install of windows on Nvme drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVME drive as it has its own NVME driver built in, I don't think this would work with previous versions.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVME drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the installation.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

When I first booted up my new pc I only had the 500gb NVME in M.2_1 slot with the Microsoft usb plugged in to install Windows 10 Pro 64 bit. There was nothing plugged into the SATA ports. I then ran all the Windows updates and chip set and all other items from ASUS download page for the mobo. The next day I installed my old windows 7 hard drive into the SATA along with an optical drive. After that I put in the 1 TB NVME in M.2_2 slot. Is this a good install of Windows to the NVME?

I checked my system32 and system info and it is in uefi mode. I also verified my NVME drive is GPT. Would not having my OS TYPE set to Windows UEFI Mode be causing this? Currently it is set to Other OS. Thanks