cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rampage VI Extreme Dimm 2 2nd SSD

asmodyus
Level 10
Okay so I currenlty have a 960 on m.1 slot and 3 evo 860 ssd in a raid using intel raid option. I am trying to install a 2nd WD Black PCIE in the m.2 slot but I cannot get it to work. I read a couple of post that says I need to change the sata mode to AHCI which mean I lose my raid.

Anybody know a a solution or do I have to intall the 2nd PCIE in the slot under the hood. would really like to use the Dimm 2 slot for both PCIE drives

I7-7820k with 3006 bios.
10 REPLIES 10

asmodyus
Level 10
Also, I noticed reading threads I do not have the option to change the PCIEX8_4 bandwidth configuration that pull-down option is missing from my adavnce\onboard devices configuration menu.

asmodyus
Level 10
So no Feedback on this uhh?
Well I End up putting the Second drive in the m.2 on mobo and they now both show and I can raid them if I want. I really want to put both of them on the Dimm 2 card but I cannot seem to figure this out.

Megalamaniac
Level 9
You may have run out of PCI Express lanes. You would need to provide a little more info on you setup. Assuming you have a graphics card in PCI slot 1 at 16x, you should be able to get at least 2 NVM SSD's working.

The processor you state that you are using only has 28 lanes total. 28 minus 16 for graphics leaves 12. 4 more for your 960, leaves 8.

Megalamaniac
Level 9
You may have run out of PCI Express lanes. You would need to provide a little more info on you setup. Assuming you have a graphics card in PCI slot 1 at 16x, you should be able to get at least 2 more NVM SSD's working. You don't need to disable RAID.

In fact if you have just one graphic card, you should be able to get a total of 4 M.2 SSD's working - although a little tricky to get BIOS configured correctly...

I have moved to the Extreme Encore, but my previous setup with my Extreme, was a i9-7920x and two 1080Ti's, 4 SATA HDD's in RAID 5, two SATA SSD's, two 1TB M.2 970 EVO Plus, one 1TB M.2 960 EVO Plus, and one 512GB Intel 760 on a Hyper 16 V2 card. Hyper Card had 3 more Intel 760's on it that I originally thought I would be able to setup a VROC RAID 0 Boot drive. There is alot of info out there on VROC, and as well alot of misinformation that was hard to sort through at first.

The whole VROC thing was really beat to death, and as a result hard to get anyone to help with. They just point you to previous forum posts that just end up being more confusing.

Yeah Ture I just wanted both Drive in the Dimm2 slot and than in a raid. Here are my Specs

i7-7820X,32GB Ram, (3) SSD in a Raid, (2) NVME one on the M.2 motherboard slot, and the other in the Dimm2 (I wanted both in Dimm2) USB 3.0 PCIe Card currently in SLot x3, CD ROM.

Like I said there was no way I could get Both NMVE to register on the DImm2 slot Either USing CPU or PCH. I was able to get them both to work putting them in the 2 different areas and Using the PCH
I also found out if you switch From PCH to CPU while the drives are in a raid and boot up than realize one of the drives disappear, then try to switch it back to PCH it kills the raid. So I had to reset the raid had to do a System Restore Windows 10 3 times lol.

So all and all I now Have them Setup Has a raid one in the M2 and the other in the Dimm2 no speed gain but have a larger System Drive. Not sure if I would gain any more speed if I somehow figure out to get them both in the Dimm2 slot so might not be worth trying to figure it out.

Megalamaniac
Level 9
You won't gain speed from having it in the DIMM.2 slot. The DIMM.2 is really just another PCIE interface. If you have you system disk setup as a RAID0 using VROC, you are actually introducing latency, and are better off using you fastest SSD as a system disk by itself, and not in a RAID0.

I found this out the hard way myself, and went back to a single 970 Evo as s system disk, and had better performance.

Here is your issue. From the manual.

Your best bet would be to upgrade to a i9-79xx that has 44 lanes. The i9-79xx's are great buy's right now when you compare them to i9-99xx's and i9-109xx's, considering there no significant difference between these processors IMO. (if $ permits)

You could also then use an ASUS HyperX card in PCIEx8_4 and add up to 4 more SSD's, which opens up a number of options.

Megalamaniac wrote:
You won't gain speed from having it in the DIMM.2 slot. The DIMM.2 is really just another PCIE interface. If you have you system disk setup as a RAID0 using VROC, you are actually introducing latency, and are better off using you fastest SSD as a system disk by itself, and not in a RAID0.

I found this out the hard way myself, and went back to a single 970 Evo as s system disk, and had better performance.

Here is your issue. From the manual.

Your best bet would be to upgrade to a i9-79xx that has 44 lanes. The i9-79xx's are great buy's right now when you compare them to i9-99xx's and i9-109xx's, considering there no significant difference between these processors IMO. (if $ permits)

You could also then use an ASUS HyperX card in PCIEx8_4 and add up to 4 more SSD's, which opens up a number of options.

Omg, I did not see that wow I wish I did I would not have been wasting all my time lol. Actually I am going to wait for the 10920x to get back in stock hopefully Going to redo my whole computer new case with a custom loop.

asmodyus wrote:
Omg, I did not see that wow I wish I did I would not have been wasting all my time lol. Actually I am going to wait for the 10920x to get back in stock hopefully Going to redo my whole computer new case with a custom loop.

Don't feel bad, as many times as I've looked through the manual, and I just spotted it myself. I will say however, that since there has been 28 and 44 lane CPU's, I've not considered a 28 Lane CPU due to running SLI for years now. Even if all I could afford was the bottom 44 lane.

asmodyus
Level 10
Well, I just picked up an I9-1020x From Newegg at retail yesterday, so I think that will help me with my lane issues. Anybody know if I will lose the raid again when I install the new CPU, I lost the rail last time when I switched lanes from PCU to CPU.