New ROGer Array

Strix G15 Problem connecting to dock USB-C

I just bought a ROG Strix G15. To make my life easier I also bought a USB-C docking station from Targus.

When I connect to the docking station to the computer using USB-C nothing happens. However if I put an USB3.0 adapter on the cord so that I can connect the dock to my computer using USB3.0 it works all of a sudden. However I did not by this dock to connect through USB3.0. I want to use USB-C. It's a USB-C dock and the new Asus laptop comes with one USB-C port.

I've got the MyAsus application and so far as I can tell everything is up to date (does it update drivers by itself?). Can I check manually somehow that the USB-C port on the computer works? What could be a possible cause?

If you look at the specs for the computer it states the following on the USB-C port: "1 X USB3.2 Gen2 Type-C support DisplayPort™". Does that mean I must connect my screen to the dock using displayport? It works with HDMI when I connect the dock to the computer using USB3.0.

Very grateful for any help!

e: When I have the adapter plugged into the computer the USB-C connection works. If I remove the power cord the connection breaks. But isn't it odd that the connection to the dock works if I connect through one of the computers USB3.0 ports? What gives?

This is the dock I bought and it's supposed to supply the computer with power up to 60W.
    Last edited by JoarS; 07-03-2020 at 08:00 PM.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

Do you have another USB c cable to try? Do you or a family member have a USB-C compatible phone to test the port? Otherwise you might have to use more adapters to connect an older USB device to the type c port for testing.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

New ROGer Array

A couple of days ago it just started working when I connected the laptop to a power source. However I can't get it going again. The laptop is currently connected to it's ow power source as well as the dock but there's no interaction. I cannot get it to work.

Can I manually search the ports and get the computer to understand that it's connected to a docking station via the USB-C?

ROG Enthusiast Array GObonzo PC Specs
    GObonzo PC Specs
    MotherboardROG Strix Z370-E Gaming
    Processori7-8700K @5GHz
    Memory (part number)G.Skill F4-3200C14D-16GTZSW
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING
    MonitorMSI Optix MPG341CQRV (34" 3440x1440p)
    Storage #1SSDs: 5.25TB, M.2 NVMe: 512GB
    Storage #2external - HDs: 8TB
    CPU CoolerROG Ryujin 360
    CaseFractal Design Vector RS (5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM)
    Power Supplybe quiet! DARK POWER PRO 11 750W
    Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB — CHERRY® MX RGB Brown
    Mouse LG G600, Corsair Vengeance M95
    Headset Corsair Void Surround
    OS Win10 x64 Pro

it could be a power issue with the laptop. it may only provide power to the USB Type-C port when a particular device is detected to try and save power.
    when running on battery alone, it may disconnect any type of super-speed charging device to save laptop power. but then I would expect it to work when the laptop's own power cable was connected.
    does the laptop have any settings via BIOS or control software that allow you to change settings for it's USB port you are connecting to?

it could also be an issue with Windows power settings powering off the port in certain instances.

or it could be an issue with the device itself, possibly needing drivers downloaded directly from Targus.

Moderator Array

Hello JoarS,
    Please kindly PM me your SN
    and provide a picture of the dock, together with the model name as well.
    Thank you so much.