cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi) - nothing but problems

FreeLance_Rider
Level 7
This build is very disappointing. Not my first build either, I’ve been building computers for over 40 years, all sizes, all types. *
This one:*AMD A7 3700X, ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Plus (Wi-Fi), Corsair Dominator Platinum 64Gb 3200Mhz (4 16Gb sticks), Two NVMe SSD 500GB, 4TB Internal SATA Hard Drive, AMD Radeon RX 5700 XT RAW II 8GB GDDR6, Toughpower GF1 850W PSU, Three ASUS 27” LED monitors.
1) Can’t get the computer to run the Corsair memory at the advertised 3200MHz with DOCP set and timings/voltages repeatedly changed. Computer will NOT BOOT with any setting other than the default 1866MHz. However, the memory will run at 3200MHz with only 32Gb installed, not the full 64Gb.

2) Pressing F8 on post boot will not display the boot device menu. I need to press F2 on post boot and then select “boot override” from the “boot option priorities” menu.

3) Both the CPU and GPU run hot.

Hind-site is aways 100%. I wanted to try the new AMD processors (being the geek that I am). It was an expensive gamble, I should of stayed with Intel 😞 *
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12
(1) Strange you used corsair RAM at all. Ryzen & corsair memory issues have been around since day1 gen1 was un-bootable at all for months. More specifically the problems have been with LPX but not limited to just it with corsair RAM. The problem is lootbox way they do IC and RAM with same timings but change version number. This allows for some users to have no problem and others like yourself to have every problem under the sun with identical specifications. If the version number and specification is not specifically on the QVL you can be in trouble. Not to mention that most sellers don't even display the version number online. Sandbagging any active o/c forum would show there are issues with corsair ram particularly LPX and ryzen.
Was the RAM on QVL for specification & version - no well you should know better (Intel or AMD both have fair share of this crap).

The recommended RAM is g.skill & Crucial Ballistix (if your brand man) or (more technical) get Samsung b-die if you want the best and that coming from someone that has built computers for 38 years and owns 1800x, 2700x, 3900x & 4800h and would not recommend corsair RAM for Ryzen ever.

(2) - Don't use your board. No comment.

(3) lol Intel, CPU & gpu ???? - Honestly if your that rusted on Intel than stay there and be happy. You don't mention cooling solution on the CPU, did you use stock heatsink, how much burn in time have you completed for the CPU, did you use the stock heatsink material or replace it and if you replace it how did you do this.

So lets look at that gpu choice https://www.tektick.com/reviews/xfx-rx-5700-xt-raw-ii-review/ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvAO_6UdF44 https://youtu.be/SF1Zs3unEto they appear to run hot in reviews, did you do your homework on your gpu pick or jump on it by price ?

That thing is heating your whole case up. How are you dealing with this issue, what case are you even using ?

Most experienced builders include everything to give people a real example of what they have by providing the whole specifications and leave nothing out. I feel like your 40 years of geek but maybe not as experienced in building. Playing an Intel is better card in your first post proves you don't really understand technology and possibily leading to being argumentative or combative in future posts. Then there is that appeared failure to research, not sure why you didn't do that.

I don't make any purchase blind or on price (price as any metric is **** although it stops me getting a threadripper !)

skellattarr
Level 10
If you just got your memory send it back trade it in for some g-skill memory and make sure it says for AMD they make some for intel that will not work with AMD
amd ryzen 9 3950x
CROSSHAIR Viii hero
Corsair Hydro Series H115i
G.SKILL Trident Z 3200mhz 64gb 4x16 timings 16,18,18,38
asus rog strix gtx 1080
TOSHIBA 3TB hdd 3x a total of 9tb, 10 tb hdd and a 1tb mushkin ssd
corsair axi 1200i 1200 watt psu
thermal take view 71 case

This is not my primary machine and I “mess with it “when I have time. I bought the first 32 gig back in April and the second 32 gig back in May so I have exceeded the return policy time frame. The first 32 gig ran fine at 3200 MHz DOCP. So I ordered the second 32 gig of the exact same thing only to find the two banks will not run at 3200 MHz together. However, messing with the voltages and timing the other day I was able to get a stable run at 3000 MHz. I also see no difference in the Cinebench R2 scores between running at 2133 MHz and 3000 MHz. I guess it is what it is. I find it unfortunate that manufactures lie about what their products will or will not support and that you have to do doctorate level research to get under the marketing/advertising to find the real truth.

Another frustrating point with this build is it has taken me months to get this far due to the pandemic. Everything has been ordered online and in limited supply. I’ve had to wait for shipping before I could test and continue. The three most difficult items to acquire were the memory, power supply, and AIO*cooler none of which were “in stock” without LEDs. What’s with the LEDs? This build looks like a dang circus. The one set of three case fans even came with a smart phone app that I can voice command to change colors ie “change fan colors to blue, to red, to rainbow, to wave,” etc. What a total waste of computing power and technology LOL

I’ll see how well it behaves in the next few weeks as I try to run real work on it. I’m not a gamer I have an Atari 2600 for that. But I do enjoy video editing and digital photography specifically raw file editing.

FreeLance Rider wrote:
This is not my primary machine and I “mess with it “when I have time. I bought the first 32 gig back in April and the second 32 gig back in May so I have exceeded the return policy time frame. The first 32 gig ran fine at 3200 MHz DOCP. So I ordered the second 32 gig of the exact same thing only to find the two banks will not run at 3200 MHz together.

Check the version numbers, even though the RAM is identical specification the IC or RAM chips may have different version numbers which means they may have different IC or RAM modules running at the same specification. It might help explain the issue you are having with the RAM. The other issue with this is that Memory QVL can have the same issue, identical specification, but they tested different version number.

This corsair would do well to change lootbox version numbers to one specification that says what it is and means what is says. It is why I will not use them anymore for ram. To Hit n Miss.

Another choice is Patriot VIPER/Steel range from 3600 and above all appears to be Samsung b-die, at reasonable pricing.

FreeLance Rider wrote:
AIO*cooler none of which were “in stock” without LEDs.

Consider the location of it, the best position is top of case exhausting out might help with thermals. Another thing is two set of fans, push/pull air through rad helps a lot.

FreeLance Rider wrote:
I’m not a gamer I have an Atari 2600 for that.

That Atari would run so much better with RGB 😛
or maybe one with AMD chip
https://www.pcgamer.com/atari-vcs-console-shipping-date/