cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG G751JY Battery Issues. Laptop dies when unplugged at 99% charge.

Deathastrophe
Level 7
Hello,

For two weeks I have been experiencing very bizarre issues with my ASUS ROG G751JY.

One night last week I was gaming and the laptop shut down immediately. I could no longer power on the laptop by itself with just the battery, nor could I game anymore when its just dependent on the adapter. The laptop stopped recognizing the battery, although it would state it was fully charged, but the moment I would try to run a game, the laptop would reach a certain point and turn off immediately, simultaneously a loud click can be heard every time the laptop shuts down on its own.

I thought maybe the battery was the issue, but I have now tried two new batteries and the issue persists. The oddest thing being, when I attached the new batteries I can game and operate just fine for a couple of hours, on and off the charger, then the problems would come back and eventually even with new batteries at max charge I cannot power on the laptop with those batteries anymore. I am extremely confused and am wondering if the MOBO connector for the battery is damaged?

One thing I did notice both times when using the new batteries, the laptop will begin to fail to recognize the AC charger is connected to the PC more and more after prolonged use (The screen brightness would dim when it thinks the adapter is disconnected and then light up when its reconnected and the AC power connector that goes into the laptop is hot) and then eventually will stop being able to depend on the battery, then I have to use the AC only to power it on anymore.

Without gaming, the laptop is still susceptible to shutting off randomly while fully dependent on the AC charger, although very infrequently, and will take a minute or longer before I can attempt to turn it back on. Temperature has not shown itself as a factor. I have woken up and attempted to turn on the laptop at the start of the day, and before I can even reach my Desktop the laptop will shut off without warning while making the clicking sound.

I began to think that maybe the AC is not getting enough voltage anymore? But earlier when I first installed my 2nd new battery, it worked okay for about an actual minute (The battery was at 64% according to the desktop, not connected to the AC at all), then it shut down immediately. I immediately tried to turn it back on without the AC, but it took a moment before I could power it back on while just being dependent on the battery.

I am at a complete loss and I do not know what to do. I would like to attempt getting another AC adapter to see if it a culprit, but I do not know how to test what is exactly the issue and would rather not continue spending money on peripherals and waiting for them to arrive only for it to not help.

I have had this laptop for four years with 0 issues like this before, but now it is becoming nearly inoperable.

Any and all help is appreciated and I can be reached on Discord for faster assistance if necessary.
7 REPLIES 7

jdfrench3
Level 12
Most likely problem is you motherboard.

A voltmeter can be used to test the output of the charging brick.

I would take it to a local tech to have it checked-out completely.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Deathastropphe,
Please kindly send your device to service center, together with your adapter as well.
Thank you so much.

My Laptop is out of warranty, how would I get that started?

OK, please understand you are trying to repair an older laptop. The cost of repair will most likely excide the value of this older laptop. If that thought doesn't scare you, then proceed.

I would take the laptop to a local computer repair shop, to have it evaluated. It could be something easy like a charging brick or DC-IN jack. Or it could be needing a motherboard replacement. Keep in mind, the local computer repair shop will not have a spare motherboard and will have to be sourced through the Internet. You will save shipping costs to and from ASUS repair center.

However , if you want ASUS to make the repairs you should start by reading the following sticky found at the top of this sub-forum:

https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?34832-ASUS-Worldwide-RMA-Guide

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Deathastropphe,
Please refer to below link.
https://www.asus.com/us/support/callus
Thank you.

I'll give the local repair shop option a try first then will contact ASUS if necessary.

Mack023
Level 9

I searched on every forum on internet and eventually end up fixing this by decreasing the processor state.