ROG Member Array

Upgrading secondary storage on G752VS

Hey guys.

I have a G752VS. I have Win10 installed on an M.2 on there and it came with a 1TB 7200rpm HDD for storage.

What I would like to do is add another M.2 to the other PCIE slot inside because there is one empty currently.

If I were to get a 2TB M.2 drive for that empty PCIE slot would it show up as a new drive for storage on the first reboot?

Or would I need to do something special in the BIOS after popping it in?

ROG Guru: Green Belt Array

If you are simply adding the new drive as secondary storage then no action is needed in the BIOS.

Once you have the drive installed and have booted your laptop into Windows, then go into Computer Management/Disk Management, locate the new drive, format it and label it.
    G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
    Homebuilt Windows Server

ROG Member Array

Ok that's easy, I've done things like that before.

Since this laptop has two PCIE slots, if I wanted to clone the stuff on the old M.2 to my new one and make the new one my primary OS drive etc, what method is the best do you think?

That would be smart.

I use Macrium Reflect software to clone drives. They have a free version that would work fine.

https://www.macrium.com/

Look into that!

Now once you have cloned the new drive, you will need to replace the old drive with the new drive (leave old drive out). You will then have to boot into your BIOS and assign your new drive as the boot drive. I would keep your old drive around for a while just incase you have a problem.
    Last edited by jdfrench3; 07-06-2020 at 08:20 PM. Reason: Added info
    Homebuilt Windows Server

ROG Member Array

Ah yeah I've heard of that software. Ok I'll plan to use that if I end up doing that.
    Last edited by almightyfargoth; 07-06-2020 at 08:24 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by jdfrench3 View Post
    If you are simply adding the new drive as secondary storage then no action is needed in the BIOS.

Once you have the drive installed and have booted your laptop into Windows, then go into Computer Management/Disk Management, locate the new drive, format it and label it.
    Hey man, I had one more question that came up when I was getting ready to format the 970 EVO Plus that I bought.

When I right click on it in Disk Management (it's labeled as Disk 1 and 1863GB and does say online) it gives me two options:

1. Convert to Dynamic Disk
    2. Convert to MBR Disk

Which one of these should I choose? My other drives seem to be listed as MBR ones. Doesn't the fact that this new drive is 2TB in size matter with this choice? Do you know about these choices and can share your knowledge again?

I just don't want to mess things up by choosing the wrong one and although I've formatted multiple drives before I've not done one very recently and have not seen these specific options before.
    Last edited by almightyfargoth; 07-20-2020 at 09:02 PM.

Mbr
    Homebuilt Windows Server