cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SSD performance problem - Ideas needed tx.

Shazbat
Level 7
Hello,

Looks like I am not getting the expected performance from my new SSD.

I have a Corsair Force 3 GT 480GB

I am expecting ~545 MB/s read and ~490 MB/s write

I am seeing about ~300 MB/s read.

This looks to me like it is performing as a SATA 2.

System:

i7-3960X, ASUS Rampage IV, ******** F3-19200CL9Q-16GBZMD ( 16 GB ), SLI-3way EVGA GTX580, Corsair AX1200 PSU, Corsair H100
On the ASMedia SATA 6.0 Gb/s: (AHCI enabled [BIOS & Win7], Asmedia storage controller enabled )
- SATA6G_E1: Corsair Force 3 GT
- SATA6G_R2: ASUS Blu-ray writer (BW-12B1ST) <- Not SATA 3
On the Intel X79 SATA: (RAID 10)
- SATA3G_1: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
- SATA3G_2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
- SATA3G_3: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
- SATA3G_4: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB

As you can see I have AHCI enabled in both the BIOS and Win7. The SSD is using a SATA3 cable.

The only thing I can think of is that the Blu-ray is on the same controler but since it is not SATA3 it degrages the bus?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.
8 REPLIES 8

HiVizMan
Level 40
Number one you are on the ASmedia SATA port.

Get your SSD onto the Intel 6G port and you will be good to go.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
Number one you are on the ASmedia SATA port.

Get your SSD onto the Intel 6G port and you will be good to go.

Thank you for the reply.

That was one thing I thougt about. However I am running a RAID 10 on the intel. From what I can tell you are NOT able to use AHCI and RAID together. There also does not seem to be a way to separate the 6G from the 3G w.r.t this BIOS setting.

Am I wrong about this?

Kipper
Level 10
Also it is best to bench an SSD when it is clean before you install the OS; those published speeds are pretty tough to achieve as they were arrived at with pristine clean and tweaked by the manufacturers.

HiVizMan
Level 40
You are most certainly able to run a single hard drive (SSD or otherwise) on the Intel SATA ports with a RAID array present. I currently have that very configuration on my Intel SATA ports. True I have my OS on the RAID (3 x SSD) and three storage drives on mechanical hard drives but that will make little difference I suspect.
To help us help you - please provide as much information about your system and the problem as possible.

HiVizMan wrote:
You are most certainly able to run a single hard drive (SSD or otherwise) on the Intel SATA ports with a RAID array present. I currently have that very configuration on my Intel SATA ports. True I have my OS on the RAID (3 x SSD) and three storage drives on mechanical hard drives but that will make little difference I suspect.

I see..

I originally had that setup. installed the OS then added the RAID. Because I changed the BIOS setting to RAID on the intel it crashed the OS because it was expecting AHCI on that boot drive. I would have to tell windows to NOT use AHCI if I were to have the single SSD on that chip. I will give it a tray and see if I can get a bump up. What is still unclear is that according to Corsair the drive needs to be set to AHCI mode for the speed bump.

Standby.

HiVizMan
Level 40
Back up your OS data using the Windows transfer wizard. Really works, I change platforms for 24/7 rigs more often than most folks have haircuts.

Then just give it a go. Your Storage RAID 10 will still be there. All you will be doing is swapping a hard drive from one port to another. In BIOS select the SSD (OS) as your first boot and you should be good to go.

Test the speed and if better leave it there. If not put it back to where it was. You have lost nothing but a few hours where you may have learnt a thing or two. 🙂 Well that is how I see it.

HiViz you were right.

I have to go into the registry and disable AHCI then moved it ofer to the intel chip set and sppeds as advertised.

The RAID/AHCI BIOS setting was not clear.

Thank you for the help.

HiVizMan
Level 40
No problem my friend. We try to help where we can. Sometimes we win one, other times the hardware is broken and we do not, but certainly it is good of you to report back that you are sorted.

Enjoy your system and come visit just for the visits sake some time.

Cheers