cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with CPU, motherboard , VRM and PCH temperatures

sighting
Level 7
I purchased a used ASUS ROG Maxumus VIII Hero Alpha (seller swears it was in working condition)

I completed the build and went into the BIOS to reset it and the CMOS.
While there I looked into the monitor section and noticed really high motherboard and CPU temperatures.
What bugs me is thats it is over temperature all of the probes:

CPU - 87deg F
Motherboard - 87deg F
VRM - 87deg F
PCH - 100deg F

This was installed in a brand new setup for my daughter

New Parts:
NZXT case 3 large case fans
Corsair TX650 PSU and Seasonic SS-700HM PSU
Corsair Vengance DDR4 3000Mhz Corsair
Coolmaster H75 and Cooler Master Hyper 212 CPU Cooler
Arctic Silver 5 Paste
i7-6700K and i5-6400 CPU

Things I have tried tried:
1. Reset BIOS and CMOS
2. Swapped in a new working CPU from my working server CPU
3. Swapped different kinds of DDR4 ram from my server
4. Swapped in i5-6400 from my server
5. Swapeded in a Cooler Master Hyper 212 cooler instead of the H75
6. Multiple tries to reset it with Arctic silver 5 compound. when i take it off there is great coverage and no excess paste (went through a tube of it already)
7. Re- update the BIOS to the latest version
8. Held a large BB case fan directly onto the motherboard (did not make a difference to the temperatures)

I keep getting the same results with different CPU's, heatsink's and parts.
Does anyone have any additional recommendation for me before i open a case and return it?
I plan on taking the board out again later this afternoon to install a new MSI CPU cooler when its delivered as a last effort.

Seller is adamant that it was working fine.
I just want to get this computer done in time for my daughters birthday on the 28th All help would be truly appreciated.

Thank you

85541*
6 REPLIES 6

GObonzo
Level 8
sighting wrote:
...What bugs me is thats it is over temperature all of the probes:

CPU - 87deg F
Motherboard - 87deg F
VRM - 87deg F
PCH - 100deg F

I keep getting the same results with different CPU's, heatsink's and parts.
Does anyone have any additional recommendation for me before i open a case and return it?
I plan on taking the board out again later this afternoon to install a new MSI CPU cooler when its delivered as a last effort.

Seller is adamant that it was working fine.
I just want to get this computer done in time for my daughters birthday on the 28th All help would be truly appreciated....
replacing the CPU cooler won't help if the internal thermal probes are not functioning correctly.

though your PCH temp is pretty high @ 39°C, the others are not that bad.
a CPU idling @ 31°C is a very good temperature.

do you have a dedicated GPU installed? if so, what temps does it idle and max at?
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

Thank you for the reply.

I tried them with and without a dedicated GPU. Nothing changed., (tried 980Ti and 1070)

My other build a i7-7700k idles at 25.

So you think its safe to install win 10 in the NVMe2 and run a stress test to see the peeks?

GObonzo wrote:
replacing the CPU cooler won't help if the internal thermal probes are not functioning correctly.

though your PCH temp is pretty high @ 39°C, the others are not that bad.
a CPU idling @ 31°C is a very good temperature.

do you have a dedicated GPU installed? if so, what temps does it idle and max at?

sighting wrote:
...I tried them with and without a dedicated GPU. Nothing changed., (tried 980Ti and 1070)

My other build a i7-7700k idles at 25.

So you think its safe to install win 10 in the NVMe2 and run a stress test to see the peeks?
i ask about a dedicated GPU & it's temp only to help determine if the case itself's internal temps may be running higher than normal.

anything below the 90s°C is still safe for the CPU. of course no one should be running that high under normal conditions, but there's no risk of damage.
i would go ahead and set everything up and run a couple benchmarks or stress tests and see how it does.
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

Sorry, should have been more specific,

The numbers was with the discreet GPU.

*I tried it with a dedicated ones and results were the same.

Installing now and will post back results.

*Any specific app I should run?*
Realbench, Prime95, passmark, CPU-z?

mdzcpa
Level 12
None of those temps look bad at all. The only oddity is that the CPU, VRM and MB temps are all the same.

mdzcpa wrote:
None of those temps look bad at all. The only oddity is that the CPU, VRM and MB temps are all the same.

Good news is that it sorted.
Not sure if it was the fact that I cleared the CMOS - I thought I did before by pressing the red button on the board but I then found the one button on the back next to the BIOS loader or if its due to me installing a 3'rd new cooler.

I removed the H75 liquid cooler and installed a new Cooler Master Hyper 212. (3rd time the charm)
The temperatures immediately dropped to 22-23deg idle.

I ran perf95 for a couple of hours and the max temp was 56deg but mostly hovered around 48.

Its more inline with my other builds.
I will chalk this up to either the proper *reset of the CMOS or just a shoddy H75 - even though it worked fine on my server.

Anyway. thank you all*