fgentile01
Level 7
My Setup:

MB - 570 Crosshair Formula Viii
CPU - Ryzen 9 3950X
GPU - ASUS STIX 2070 Super
Memory - G.Skill RGB Trident 2 X 16GB 3600 MHZ - 32GB

Storage - Primary - M.2 Adata 2TB SSD, Secondary - 500 GB Segate SSD

I purchased a 32 GB kit, the same kit I had purchased a few weeks earlier. Attempted to add the memory and the system would not post, error message indicated I needed to test CMOS. I tried:

1. Re-seating the new chips
2. Powering off, unplugging from ups, waiting some minutes, reconnecting to UPS and powering back on

Nothing has worked.

I removed the new memory and system booted up fine.

Do I need to buy a 54 GB kit with two 32 GB chips to get 64 GB with this board?
3 REPLIES 3

wyliec2
Level 7
Memory should be purchased as a kit 2 sticks, 4 sticks, etc.

Two separate sets of memory even if the same brand and type will not necessarily work together at rated speed....

GObonzo
Level 8
before purchasing a replacement kit, i would try testing each DIMM slot individually to ensure it is not a fault with the motherboard.
maybe also try clearing CMOS before installing both kits together. and make sure you have the latest BIOS update.

but as wylier2 stated, there is never a guarantee that individually packaged kits will function together even when they are the exact same make/model.
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Hello,

Memory vendors bin memory kits in the density they are sold in. When combining memory kits you are eating into the guardband put in place by the vendor to ensure best chance of compatibility.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090