cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Question about the H􏰆_AMP_􏰆FAN connector (and the CHA_FAN one)

irepublicofgame
Level 7
Hi, I'll be using a total of 8 bequiet! silent wings 3 120mm high-speed PWM fans in my build. Their individual input current is 0.37 A. Two of them I intend to use to cool the GPU heatsink and will hook up to the GPU with SATA connector for drawing power. The six remaining need to be plugged in the motherboard. I could of course spread them over the different types of fan connectors in my Crosshair VIII hero wifi motherboard. In this regard, what's the difference between the CPU_FAN & CPU_OPT connectors on the one side, and the CHA_FAN connectors on the other ? Did I understand it correctly that the Hﰆ_AMP_ﰆFAN connector is for connecting fans that together draw over 1 amp ? If this is the case, is the possible scenario possible ? I'd like to hook up the remaining 6 fans to a usb hub (Thermaltake Commander FP) that has it's own SATA power input, which I intend to plug into the Hﰆ_AMP_ﰆFAN connector. 6x0.37A = 2.22A, so I'd be well under the 3amp limit of the Hﰆ_AMP_ﰆFAN connector. Is this a correct setup, or am I missing something ?*
6 REPLIES 6

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
Yes, that's correct. The header won't have any trouble with that configuration.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

GObonzo
Level 8
should work fine. the only thing to keep in mind is that the CPU_OPT port will sometimes just clone the CPU_FAN port settings without individual PWM control. CHA_FAN ports will all have individual PWM control.
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

CHA_FAN ports will all have individual PWM control.

so these are the only ones allowing for individual PWM control?
So what's the deal with the CPU_FAN and OPT_FAN ? How do they operate ?*

GObonzo
Level 8
the CPU_FAN is almost always a regular 4pin port with PWM control. but, in a lot of cases the CPU_OPT port is only a clone of that so anything connected will only follow the exact setting for the CPU_FAN without separate manual control.
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

GObonzo wrote:
the CPU_FAN is almost always a regular 4pin port with PWM control. but, in a lot of cases the CPU_OPT port is only a clone of that so anything connected will only follow the exact setting for the CPU_FAN without separate manual control.

ok and the*Hﰆ_AMP_ﰆFAN connector allows for individual fan control too ?

irepublicofgamers wrote:
ok and the*Hﰆ_AMP_ﰆFAN connector allows for individual fan control too ?

Yes.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090