cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ROG STRIX B450-I slow charging?

paymok
Level 7
I bought ROG STRIX B450-I a few months ago until today i just notice whenever i try to charge my phone / tablet through the usb port,
no matter on the front IO usb ports or ANY USB ports on the rear, all will causing a slow charging warning on my phone and tablet.
It's like im charging my phone on a USB 1.1 port.

I tried to play around the power management config but doesnt seems to make any different.
I even tried to download the Asus AI charger app but it just show on the windows icon on the bottom right, with a little red cross marks, nothing happen on clicking.
I checked the specification page and the board do support Ai charging, Im not even looking for fast charging, the board cant even do a normal speed charging.

I have another rig using rog z390-F + i9-9900K, and confirm the fast charging do support for fast charging, i assume all ROG strix board should support fast charging?

Want to confirm is this B450-I board support fast charging / normal speed charging? or is my board having defect? thanks

Specification:
CPU : Ryzen 3600
Board : ROG STRIX B450-I
PSU: CORSAIR SF750
GPU: SAPPHIRE RX5600XT
RAM: CORSAIR LPX DDR4 3200 16GB x2
CASE: NCASE M1 v6
4 REPLIES 4

GObonzo
Level 8
some boards require a specific BIOS setting set to "fast charging" for individual USB ports. they may default to low power modes without this setting.
i'm guessing this particular cable does support fast charging in other instances?

if it is an actual issue with the board and you don't want to bother with RMA/servicing, you can get and connect an externally powered USB hub to use. i have a nice Kingwin attached via rear I/O USB 3.0 that has multiple high-speed charging ports that was only ~$12. it charges fine with all of it's other USB 3.0 ports also full.
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

GObonzo wrote:
some boards require a specific BIOS setting set to "fast charging" for individual USB ports. they may default to low power modes without this setting.
i'm guessing this particular cable does support fast charging in other instances?

if it is an actual issue with the board and you don't want to bother with RMA/servicing, you can get and connect an externally powered USB hub to use. i have a nice Kingwin attached via rear I/O USB 3.0 that has multiple high-speed charging ports that was only ~$12. it charges fine with all of it's other USB 3.0 ports also full.

I do have a charging dock next to my desk for quick charge phone.
Reason why i need to port to do normal charging / fast charging is i want to use my tablet as secondary desktop.
Problem is if the PC charging doesnt work in normal speed, my tablet battery will just drain within 2 hrs.
I appreciate your suggestion but would really want is the board having slow charging speed is a normal behavior or not.

paymok wrote:
I do have a charging dock next to my desk for quick charge phone.
Reason why i need to port to do normal charging / fast charging is i want to use my tablet as secondary desktop.
Problem is if the PC charging doesnt work in normal speed, my tablet battery will just drain within 2 hrs.
do you mean you are using the tablet as a secondary display for the PC? or are just running them as two separate desktops?
paymok wrote:
I appreciate your suggestion but would really want is the board having slow charging speed is a normal behavior or not.
your motherboard manual and/or product support page will have the information regarding the specific USB ports; their data transfer rates & charging speeds available. it is possible not all available ports support rapid or fast charging.
if you cannot locate this information, contact a support representative.

GObonzo wrote:
you haven't responded if you have checked all of the BIOS or motherboard control software for options to enable/disable fast charging.
you also haven't responded if the specific cable you using actually supports fast charging.
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

GObonzo wrote:
do you mean you are using the tablet as a secondary display for the PC? or are just running them as two separate desktops?your motherboard manual and/or product support page will have the information regarding the specific USB ports; their data transfer rates & charging speeds available. it is possible not all available ports support rapid or fast charging.
if you cannot locate this information, contact a support representative.

you haven't responded if you have checked all of the BIOS or motherboard control software for options to enable/disable fast charging.
you also haven't responded if the specific cable you using actually supports fast charging.

I using the tablet as secondary display for the PC. I am using a app call Splashtop Wired XDisplay, once i plugged my tablet when the apps is opening, my PC will recognize it as a secondary display.

actually i cant really find any information mentioning about fast charging for this board except "Special features" included Ai Charger.
my z390-F board is capable of fast charging but product page doesn't list that info as well. The user manual doesnt specify these information as well.

https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-Z390-F-GAMING/specifications/
https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/ROG-STRIX-B450-I-GAMING/specifications/

I also checked all BIOS settings, no configuration regarding USB support fast charging or not, only found one page to config if USB should be powered of or when machine is not ON.

For cable i am using the official cable from samsung (able to fast charge my phone Samsung Note8 with offical charger of USB charging hub on QC 2.0 port). the same cable plugged in to all the ports on the rear, all report slow charging in the phone notification section.