cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LightingService needs a restart at cold boot?

PanicsX1
Level 7
Hello together,

at first sorry for my bad english i hope it isn´t too worse for you all :'D
I Builded a full ROG setup a few days ago.
Asus ROG Strix x570-e Gaming Motherboard, AMD Ryzen 3950x, Asus ROG ryujin 360, TridentZ Neo 3200MHZ 64GB Ram, Asus ROG strix RTX 2080Ti, Asus ROG Helios case if this matters everything...
Everything is working fine so far except for the LightingService. After every boot (cold or reboot) i see the service kick in and all lights going as expected.
After a few seconds the LightingService seems to "stop" and all lights just freeze in place.
I checked the service but it is running. If i restart the service everything works again and stays so until i reboot or shutdown the system.

Is there everyone else experiencing this?
Can it be fixed or do i need to write a small script to restart the service on every boot?
12 REPLIES 12

1mluer
Level 11
I wrote a script to fix mine but it was a pain. I had to do a full windows install refresh to fix it completely without a script.
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!

So a script will be the best solution?
i reinstalled my windows with the new build so the option to reinstall again would be meaningless from my view 😕

GObonzo
Level 8
an alternative is to just add a link to the service .exe(*:\Program Files (x86)\LightingService) into the registry to run at start:
Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run

though it should already be set to run at start with Windows Services. if it's starting and stopping then it may not matter what actually tells it to start, it may just continue to fail without a reinstall of either the OS and/or the ASUS software.
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

I will try that but as i said the service starts up just fine just the lights stops after a few seconds with the first start..
The Service itself shows that it is running...

GObonzo
Level 8
the ASUS software seems to have problems with identifying devices within Windows. the problem here could just be that it randomly loses track of them so the lights stop functioning.
there's many threads all over the web about people having similar issues with Aura Sync and the Lighting Service especially. it seems to happen a lot more often for people that have uninstalled/reinstalled any of the software(Aura Sync, Armory Crate, Aura Creator, Live Dash) one or more times.

i had the same issues multiple times and have finally had it resolved for the passed couple months. usually the only "permanent" fix seems to be reinstalling Windows and doing a fresh install of whichever version of ASUS control software.
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

Thanks for the replys i guess i will take the "my script resets the service after its started" approach.
Reinstalling my OS again is nothing i wanna do to be honest and and the Sorftware got reinstalled like 10 times now.

xPepi
Level 7
change LightingService to "delayed automatic" start instead of "automatic", also if you have other LED software, such as Corsair iCUE, see if your items are also listed there but have no colour profiles set. If this is the case, remove these items from Corsair folder, plugins...I just made a post about this called, How to make AURA work guide. It's in this section.

Wow this interesting..
I never checked if iCue is seeing any of this components and posible interfere with AURA or anything..
After i saw this reply from you xPepi i checked it and iCue has found my mainboard.
I just deleted the ASUS folder from the plugin directory and changed the process to delayed automatic.#
Until now it seems to work so far 😄
Thank you very much 🙂

here I put the simple code for the lighting service. Just crate a text file and copy this code into it and then save it as a .bat (aura.bat) It has to be a .bat file.

@ECHO ON
net stop "LightingService"
net start "lightingService

EXIT
InWin 909 Silver RGB build
i9-10900k
ROG Maximus XII Apex
ROG Matrix 2080 ti
Gskill Trident Royal 4400 16g

Everything overclocked and love it.
ROG Awesomeness !!!!