cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Auto Boot will not function

itooth
Level 7
Hello all,
I am not able to auto boot to Windows 10 when I start up my computer. It will go as far as AmericanMegaTrend window and then I am asked to hit F1 which takes me into the BIOS. All my settings seem correct and the boot order is correct. I can get to OS via force boot only. My BIOS is up to date.
System: Rampage IV Extreme, BIOS 4901, Window 10 x64 O.S., SAMSUNG 860 Pro SSD, NIVDA GForce SLI x 3, Cosair 1333 RAM x 8 chips, RAID 1.

Thank you!
4 REPLIES 4

RedSector73
Level 12
Here is the procedure for install of Windows 10 on NVMe drive.

1 - Make sure you unplug all SATA and USB drives, the M.2 drive has to be the only drive installed.
2 - Go into the bios, under the boot tab there is an option for CSM, make sure it is disabled.
3 - Click on secure boot option below and make sure it is set to other OS, Not windows UEFI.
4 - Click on key management and clear secure boot keys.
5 - Insert a USB memory stick with a UEFI bootable ISO of Windows 10 on it.
6 - Press F10 to save, exit and reboot.
7 - Windows will now start installing to your NVMe drive as it has its own NVME driver built in.
8 - When the PC reboots hit F2 to go back into the BIOS, you will see under boot priority that Windows boot manager now lists your NVMe drive.
9 - Click on secure boot again but now set it to Windows UEFI mode.
10 - Click on key management and install default secure boot keys
11 - Press F10 to save and exit and windows will finish the installation.

Once you have Windows up and running, shutdown the PC and reconnect your other SATA drives.

Asus, support has not been much help either. Last suggestion from them was the clear my CMOS. If I do that will I have to re-download to the most up to date BIOS?

itooth
Level 7
RedSector73,
I performed the steps that you listed, but unfortunately that did not solve my issue. The only way I can boot to OS if via a "force boot" option.

itooth
Level 7
I believe I found the solution to the boot up problem.

My system in water cooled and the setting to monitor the fan speed to the the CPU was set to monitor. However, I do not have a CPU fan, as I have a water block over the CPU. So my system thinks that this is a problem and will not auto boot.

I turned off the CPU fan monitoring setting to disable or ignore. Then saved setting and exited the BIOS. System then auto booted to OS.

You may want to note this for other users of water cooling systems.

I believe this was a protection setting and had to be manually overridden to get past it.