cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

[RYZEN 3700][Crosshair VIII Formula] Wich temperature should i trust ?

Grim_Lokason
Level 7
Hello,

Ii've a strange problem, different tools are showing different t° for the CPU as shown in the attached files...
I've also a big difference between the CPU and CPU Package ...

Do you know who we should trust ?
4 REPLIES 4

GObonzo
Level 8
i've had the same issue with my ASUS Z370 ever since i first started it up.
my BIOS, Core Temp, EVGA's Flow Control, AI Suite, RTSS, almost every software I've used and now my Ryujin 360 CPU cooler's OLED display all show slightly different temp readings for my CPU.

i've pretty much just learned to live with it and keep an average idea of what the temps actually are by viewing multiple sources.
right now Core Temp is showing 36° for the average temp while my CPU OLED display is showing 32°. so I figure it's ~34°.
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

GObonzo wrote:

right now Core Temp is showing 36° for the average temp while my CPU OLED display is showing 32°. so I figure it's ~34°.

It's your Ryujin that is basically giving you a false number. The number the Ryujin displays is taken from a probe behind the CPU, so it's not really trustworthy.

This guy goes into depth about it. You can watch the whole video, or from just around the 15:00 mark where he gets specific.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wS0Ev3SX2I

Grim_Lokason wrote:
Hello,

Ii've a strange problem, different tools are showing different t° for the CPU as shown in the attached files...
I've also a big difference between the CPU and CPU Package ...

Honestly, I don't think you can go wrong trusting the highest one is the one to watch. In other words in regards to high temperature readings you are best off erring on the side of caution.

On an aside, I do not trust Asus software so I run HWMonitor virtually whenever my computers are running. I had one case where I had installed a new Asus Bios (others had the same problem) and had it at all default settings and the fans (including Ryujin fans) were not doing anything to cool the CPU which ranged from 72 at idle and into the nineties with a moderate load (that's degrees C, not F). Of course I reverted to a prior Bios as did others--which got the temperatures back to normal, but since then I turn HWMonitor on at startup and always review it before shut downs. Not to mention monitoring it regularly.

Super Gnome wrote:
It's your Ryujin that is basically giving you a false number. The number the Ryujin displays is taken from a probe behind the CPU, so it's not really trustworthy.

This guy goes into depth about it...
currently RTSS, HWMonitor, Flow Control all show temps matching the Ryujin's display while Ai Suite, Precision X1, & Core Temp readings are each varying between 2-5° degrees higher as usual.

whether some guy in some video says so or not, i would trust an average of them all more so than any single source.
ASUS ROG Strix Z590-E Gaming | i7-11700K \ ASUS ROG Ryujin 360 | G.Skill TridentZ 3466 CL14 32GB | ASUS TUF RTX 3080 Ti | M2: 960GB \ SSDs: 5TB \ HDs: 16TB | Super Flower Leadex III 850w | Fractal Design Vector RS Blackout \ 5x be quiet! Silent Wings 3 140mm High-Speed PWM | Logitech G600 | Corsair K70 LUX RGB | Xbox One S Gamepad | Klipsch ProMedia 2.1 | Anker Soundcore Life Q20 | 34" Alienware AW3420DW \ 55" LG CX OLED | Windows 10 Pro x64

RedSector73
Level 12
Grim_Lokason wrote:

Ryzen 3000 series CPU's change clocks speeds quite a lot over time (in some cases 100 of times per second) and all these programs poll temperatures captured at different times and polling, and are only displaying exactly what was captured at the polling, and as such are a display of true information but as you rightly notice it varies a lot over the poll times becuase of the nature of the CPU. This is normal to see and not a problem. If your CPU is not near maximum thermal limits, than dont worry and stop using multiple sources to poll this information, stick to one your happy with, they are all right, but equally all wrong when you compare them to each other becuase none of them are polling at the exact same time.