cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Strix x570-e - boot issues after installing Nvme drive

dale303w
Level 7
Running on a Strix x570-e with BIOS 2204

I've just got a Samsung SSD 970 Evo Plus which I intended to migrate my current OS drive (Samsung SSD 970 EVO Plus 500GB)to it.

When I first installed the drive, it was recognised by the OS and I could use it as a data drive. Everyhting seemed fine.
I downloaded the Samsung Data migration tool to transfer the details over to the new drive.
However, half way through the migration an error popped up and I cancelled the migration.
Upon rebooting, the the computer would no longer boot and went straight to the UEFI settings (Strix x570-e gaming).

Upon checking the possible boot drives, all that's there is an entry "Windows Boot Manager on Disk 0 (Drive not present)" and my new drive. All my orignal drives are missing.

If I try to force a boot with selecting the boot override to "Windows Boot Manager". I get a "error: unknown file system grub rescue>" error message.

I had CSM off originally but turning it on makes no difference. Fast Boot is off too (but was on when I installed Windows on the old drive originally)

As soon as I remove the NVME drive, everything works as before.

Anyone know what is going on? Could anyone suggest a fix?

I'm guessing 'Disk 0' gets taken by the NVME drive and as there's bits of a failed migration on there, this breaks things.

To be honest, I'd be happy to see if I could 'unformat' the NVME and start again but I can't access it without being able to boot into my old SSD with it installed so I'm in a bit of a catch 22.

I have no plans for a clean install. I'd rather go without an NVME than have to reinstall everything again. This is work machine as well as a games one so the time and effort of putting everything back the way it was won't be worth it.
0 REPLIES 0