New ROGer Array

How large of an SSD can I add to my second SSD Slot for ASUS ROG Laptop Model G752V

Hi - I own a ASUS ROG Laptop Model G752V that originally came with a 1TB 7200rpm HD and a 256 GB PCIe slot SSD. I successfully upgraded the HD to a 2TB 5400prm drive, but would also like to upgrade the SSD to the largest possible option.

It looks like there are 2 PCIe slots for Solid State Drives. If I purchase another PCIe SSD, can I just insert it into the second slot to add SSD memory to my computer? If so, how big of a SSD can I add to the second slot. Can it be a 1TB or 2TB PCIe SSD?...or does it need to be no larger than another 256GB SSD (for a total SSD space of 512 GB between the two SSD drives). Are there only specific PCIe types of SSDs that will work with this model, or will most any PCIe SSD brand work successfully?

One other side note question...if I purchase another SSD to add to the second slot, I don't believe it will come with the tiny screw needed to lock it into place. Any idea where you can obtain the proper laptop screw to afix it correctly?

It is quite....challenging to find accurate information on these specifics online, so thank you in advance if you are able to answer these technical questions.

TeamROG Moderator Array xeromist PC Specs
    xeromist PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)Dell Inspiron 15 7567
    MotherboardMSI x470 Gaming Plus
    ProcessorAMD 2600X
    Memory (part number)16GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 3600
    Graphics Card #1ASUS GTX 1080 Strix
    MonitorBenQ BL3200PT
    Storage #1Intel 600p NVMe
    CPU CoolerWraith
    Casecustom Antec 900
    Power SupplyCorsair HX1000
    Keyboard Logitech Orion Spark
    Mouse Logitech MX500
    Headset Plantronics 777 with Oregon Aero upgrade

There shouldn't be any storage limit. Some machines have a physical limitation where a double sided SSD with chips on both sides is too thick but I don't believe that is an issue for your machine.
    * Support disease research with Folding@Home *

< < < Click the drop-down above my avatar for my PC specs!

New ROGer Array

SSD options for G752V

Quote Originally Posted by xeromist View Post
    There shouldn't be any storage limit. Some machines have a physical limitation where a double sided SSD with chips on both sides is too thick but I don't believe that is an issue for your machine.
    So can I add something like this in my second slot?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...KIKX0DER&psc=1

Can I keep the 256GB SSD in slot 1 and add a 500GB SSD to slot 2? I thought I read somewhere that the drives in each slot have to be identical? Anybody know if that is true. I would love to just add an SSD to that extra slot, but don't want to purchase something if it does not work.

New ROGer Array

G752V SSD Options

Update:

I tried customer service. They really attempted to help but I get the impression that they are reading information and trying to interpret data and not.... extensively technically inclined...

If I understood correctly, the representative believed that each SSD slot could hold up to a 512GB SSD for a total of 1.024 TB between the two slots. The representative recommended using Samsung SSD in both slots since that it the brand it came with, but was unsure it leaving the original 256GB Samsung SSD in slot one and then adding a different brand ( a WD Blue SN550 500GB NVMe Internal SSD for example) in slot two would work.

I imagine there is someone in the forums that has a lot more experience with something like this and has the answer. If you could provide help on this inquiry it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

New ROGer Array

Max SSD for G752V

OK, no more replies to my question, so I decided to take a chance and buy that SSD on the Amazon link above (WD Blue SN550 500GB NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 2,400 MB/s - WDS500G2B0C).

I received it today, plugged it in my empty second slot, crossed by fingers, and turned on my ASUS. At first I thought it had failed, because it just sat on the opening ROG screen, but I powered it down and restarted a second time and it booted up just fine. I then located the drive in disk management and formatted it and it seems to be working correctly, so at least in this instance two different sized, different brand SSDs in each slot worked without issue.

The ASUS rep said the max SSD drive size per slot is 512GB. If anyone has tried a larger drive than 512GB I'd be curious to know if it worked. Also, if anyone knows the "technical name" of the type of screw used to lock the SSD drive in place I would like to know that as well (I just used one of the four screws on the SSD cover plate to lock the SSD in place).

ROG Member Array

I have a 1TB primary NVME WD 750 and a 2 TB Intel 660 secondary NVME in mine and it works great.