cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How large of an SSD can I add to my second SSD Slot for ASUS ROG Laptop Model G752V

foothills888
Level 8
Hi - I own a ASUS ROG Laptop Model G752V that originally came with a 1TB 7200rpm HD and a 256 GB PCIe slot SSD. I successfully upgraded the HD to a 2TB 5400prm drive, but would also like to upgrade the SSD to the largest possible option.

It looks like there are 2 PCIe slots for Solid State Drives. If I purchase another PCIe SSD, can I just insert it into the second slot to add SSD memory to my computer? If so, how big of a SSD can I add to the second slot. Can it be a 1TB or 2TB PCIe SSD?...or does it need to be no larger than another 256GB SSD (for a total SSD space of 512 GB between the two SSD drives). Are there only specific PCIe types of SSDs that will work with this model, or will most any PCIe SSD brand work successfully?

One other side note question...if I purchase another SSD to add to the second slot, I don't believe it will come with the tiny screw needed to lock it into place. Any idea where you can obtain the proper laptop screw to afix it correctly?

It is quite....challenging to find accurate information on these specifics online, so thank you in advance if you are able to answer these technical questions.
17 REPLIES 17

xeromist
There shouldn't be any storage limit. Some machines have a physical limitation where a double sided SSD with chips on both sides is too thick but I don't believe that is an issue for your machine.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

xeromist wrote:
There shouldn't be any storage limit. Some machines have a physical limitation where a double sided SSD with chips on both sides is too thick but I don't believe that is an issue for your machine.

So can I add something like this in my second slot?

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07YFF3JCN/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?tag=slicinc-20&ascsubtag=1d114c86...

Can I keep the 256GB SSD in slot 1 and add a 500GB SSD to slot 2? I thought I read somewhere that the drives in each slot have to be identical? Anybody know if that is true. I would love to just add an SSD to that extra slot, but don't want to purchase something if it does not work.

Update:

I tried customer service. They really attempted to help but I get the impression that they are reading information and trying to interpret data and not.... extensively technically inclined...

If I understood correctly, the representative believed that each SSD slot could hold up to a 512GB SSD for a total of 1.024 TB between the two slots. The representative recommended using Samsung SSD in both slots since that it the brand it came with, but was unsure it leaving the original 256GB Samsung SSD in slot one and then adding a different brand ( a WD Blue SN550 500GB NVMe Internal SSD for example) in slot two would work.

I imagine there is someone in the forums that has a lot more experience with something like this and has the answer. If you could provide help on this inquiry it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance 🙂

OK, no more replies to my question, so I decided to take a chance and buy that SSD on the Amazon link above (WD Blue SN550 500GB NVMe Internal SSD - Gen3 x4 PCIe 8Gb/s, M.2 2280, 3D NAND, Up to 2,400 MB/s - WDS500G2B0C).

I received it today, plugged it in my empty second slot, crossed by fingers, and turned on my ASUS. At first I thought it had failed, because it just sat on the opening ROG screen, but I powered it down and restarted a second time and it booted up just fine. I then located the drive in disk management and formatted it and it seems to be working correctly, so at least in this instance two different sized, different brand SSDs in each slot worked without issue.

The ASUS rep said the max SSD drive size per slot is 512GB. If anyone has tried a larger drive than 512GB I'd be curious to know if it worked. Also, if anyone knows the "technical name" of the type of screw used to lock the SSD drive in place I would like to know that as well (I just used one of the four screws on the SSD cover plate to lock the SSD in place).

I have a 1TB primary NVME WD 750 and a 2 TB Intel 660 secondary NVME in mine and it works great.

bazzarooney wrote:
I have a 1TB primary NVME WD 750 and a 2 TB Intel 660 secondary NVME in mine and it works great.

I have the G752VS and I have installed a SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD by 4tb on the 2.5" slot and 2 x 2TB SAMSUNG SSD 960 pro in the two slots.
A total of 8Tb SSDs disks.
I've tried today to install a 4TB Corsair Force MP510 but is seems it isn't compatible with my system because the computer keep rebooting until I get the message that it's initializing the system repair.
I would like to know if someone has been able to make it works.

MazingaZ wrote:
I have the G752VS and I have installed a SAMSUNG 860 PRO SSD by 4tb on the 2.5" slot and 2 x 2TB SAMSUNG SSD 960 pro in the two slots.
A total of 8Tb SSDs disks.
I've tried today to install a 4TB Corsair Force MP510 but is seems it isn't compatible with my system because the computer keep rebooting until I get the message that it's initializing the system repair.
I would like to know if someone has been able to make it works.

Surrey your not trying to make a 4TB SSD your OS system Drive? So the new 4TB would be initializes after windows starts a a storage drive.
So when you boot spam the Esc key and select which ever SSD has you OS on it.

Please expaln better how your set up is? I assume you have the 2 Samsung 960 pro in raid mode running your OS? and your trying to add a 2.5" 4TB SSD
You only have 2 slots 2 m.2 PCIE NBME and 1 2.5" Hard drive/SSD slots. So what are you trying to do?
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Surrey your not trying to make a 4TB SSD your OS system Drive? So the new 4TB would be initializes after windows starts a a storage drive.
So when you boot spam the Esc key and select which ever SSD has you OS on it.

Please expaln better how your set up is? I assume you have the 2 Samsung 960 pro in raid mode running your OS? and your trying to add a 2.5" 4TB SSD
You only have 2 slots 2 m.2 PCIE NBME and 1 2.5" Hard drive/SSD slots. So what are you trying to do?

I have the OS installed on the 2.5" 4tb ssd, and the two 960 pro by 2tb are not in raid mode. I use this latptop to perform with video projections so I want to reduce the risk of failures and I need as much as space as possible.

So what I wanted to try now is to replace one of the two 960 pro with the corsair MP510 by 4tb to move the os there but if I install the MP510 the computer don't start and I get the message to repair my OS. Removing the MP510 everything works again. If I connect the MP510 using an external box throught the usb3.1 I can see the disk without problems. I guess it's the internal port connected on the motherboard that doesn't support the MP510 but this makes no sense in my opinion!

If you have any better idea please tell me!!!!!!

Have a nice day!

Remove your two Samsung 960 Pro NVMe SSDs and then restart your computer.

Please report what happens...... I'm guessing your laptop will not boot.

Your two 2TB Samsung 960 Pro NVMe drives are in Raid 0, creating a 4TB OS volume

Go into the BIOS Utility - EZ Mode
Look at upper right-hand of screen, Boot Priority:
If it list "Windows Boot Manager (Intel Volume 1)"
Then your laptop OS drive is a RAID configuration.

Go into BIOS Utility - Advanced Mode
Click on SATA Configuration
SATA Mode Selection
If it lists "Intel RST Premium"
Then you are using Rapid Storage Technology RAID driver to operate your OS volume

CLOSE YOUR BIOS WITHOUT SAVING so no changes are made!

In Windows, go into Computer Management
Then into Disk Management
Disk 0 is your SATA drive
Disk 1 (Volume 1) is your RAID drive

Now, to answer your question.
You could remove all three of your drives (NVMe and SATA)
Install your new 4TB NVMe
You will have to make several changes in your BIOS to point the Windows Boot on your new drive.
You will now have to reinstall Windows
Finally you can restore your SATA drive

What do you gain?
You now have two 2TB Samsung NVMe drives in a RAID 0 configuration, giving you a 4TB volume
Your new 4TB NVMe drive would give you a 4TB volume but you would have another NVMe slot you could add another NVMe drive

This is alot of work for nothing at this point, unless you have a second new NVMe drive or reuse one of your original 2TB NVMe drives.

Good Luck
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server