cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Stability problems with RAM or CPU

xGoldilx
Level 7
Hi Everyone!

Form longer time I have big problems with my PC. It started with random suspensions. When I changed my settings for ram to XMP 3866 computer started to crash completely randomly. Sometimes twice a day sometimes ones a week. But freezes was weird. Everything was working just screen freezed and in headphones I heard sound like short circuit. When I restarted after that there was an error F sometging. I don't remember exactly what now. I had to turned off XPM profile and everything go back to normal. Initially I was thinking thats maybe because old instalation in my flat and there are some voltage drops. I bought UPS and reset everything. From that time it's happened olny ones or twice. But a new problem appeared. Now when I'm turning on PC there is an error from CPU: E4 detecting memory. After that I need to hard reset, go to BIOS just esc without changes and PC start running. Thats happening every time when I turning on PC. I'm thinking the whole problems are because wrong voltage or timings on RAM. Hopfeully someone can help me with this, because I try everything I know and still didn't find solutions to this. I'm asking you guys because I'm desperate now 😞

PC:
15 REPLIES 15

Silent_Scone
Super Moderator
xGoldilx wrote:
Hi Everyone!

Form longer time I have big problems with my PC. It started with random suspensions. When I changed my settings for ram to XMP 3866 computer started to crash completely randomly. Sometimes twice a day sometimes ones a week. But freezes was weird. Everything was working just screen freezed and in headphones I heard sound like short circuit. When I restarted after that there was an error F sometging. I don't remember exactly what now. I had to turned off XPM profile and everything go back to normal. Initially I was thinking thats maybe because old instalation in my flat and there are some voltage drops. I bought UPS and reset everything. From that time it's happened olny ones or twice. But a new problem appeared. Now when I'm turning on PC there is an error from CPU: E4 detecting memory. After that I need to hard reset, go to BIOS just esc without changes and PC start running. Thats happening every time when I turning on PC. I'm thinking the whole problems are because wrong voltage or timings on RAM. Hopfeully someone can help me with this, because I try everything I know and still didn't find solutions to this. I'm asking you guys because I'm desperate now 😞

PC:

Hello,

You may want to try Maximus Tweak Modes available from within the UEFI. Depending on the modules, either Mode 1 or Mode 2 may offer better stability with overclocking.
13900KS / 8000 CAS36 / ROG APEX Z790 / ROG TUF RTX 4090

Hopper64
Level 15
I haven’t seen Maximus tweak modes in the bios for x299. Have I missed it?

XMP isn’t *working very well with memory speeds above 3600. Probably needs manual mode.*

List all your hardware and the model number of your memory.*
MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro

Hopper64 wrote:
I haven’t seen Maximus tweak modes in the bios for x299. Have I missed it?

XMP isn’t *working very well with memory speeds above 3600. Probably needs manual mode.*

List all your hardware and the model number of your memory.*

CPU: i9-7900x
MB: ROG Rampage VI EXTREME
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 4x8GB CL18-19-19-39 1.35v
GPU: ROG Strix 1080Ti
HDD1: Samsung NVMe 960 PRO 512GB
HDD2: Intel SSDPEKNW512G8
Power: bequiet DARK POWER PRO 1000W (platinum)

That's it I think. Just realize on picture from before then the memory is working in dual channel dunno why... Thanks in advance for your help!

i got the freezes problem too
how did you solve it?

Doryanay10 wrote:
i got the freezes problem too
how did you solve it?

In my opinion freezes are caused by unstable voltage from the socket. I asked ASUS support for help and thats their reply:

"In this case I can advise you to make a CMOS reset of the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery for 3-5 minutes while the PSU is unplugged. While the power cord from the PSU is still unplugged, press the power button down for 30 seconds to power discharge the
unit. Then place the CMOS battery back in, plug in the PSU and try again.

After this go into the BIOS > Advanced Menu > APM Configuration, from here set the ERP Ready to Enable S4 + S5 or Enabled S5 and set the Restore AC Power Loss to Last State and test the motherboard again.

Reseat all power cables

Try the unit with minimal configuration - CPU - PSU - 1 RAM STICK - STORAGE - GPU and see if any changes"

For me thats help a lot, but didn't solved problem in 100%. That's why I bought UPS battery to make sure energy is stable. From that moment I had only one freeze on beginning.

xGoldilx wrote:
In my opinion freezes are caused by unstable voltage from the socket. I asked ASUS support for help and thats their reply:

"In this case I can advise you to make a CMOS reset of the BIOS by taking out the CMOS battery for 3-5 minutes while the PSU is unplugged. While the power cord from the PSU is still unplugged, press the power button down for 30 seconds to power discharge the
unit. Then place the CMOS battery back in, plug in the PSU and try again.

After this go into the BIOS > Advanced Menu > APM Configuration, from here set the ERP Ready to Enable S4 + S5 or Enabled S5 and set the Restore AC Power Loss to Last State and test the motherboard again.

Reseat all power cables

Try the unit with minimal configuration - CPU - PSU - 1 RAM STICK - STORAGE - GPU and see if any changes"

For me thats help a lot, but didn't solved problem in 100%. That's why I bought UPS battery to make sure energy is stable. From that moment I had only one freeze on beginning.

the problem with the freezes its the computer freezes after a week Exactly like after 7 days from the last freeze.
every 7 days its freezes.
thats why idk what to do , its like a timer.

Doryanay10 wrote:
the problem with the freezes its the computer freezes after a week Exactly like after 7 days from the last freeze.
every 7 days its freezes.
thats why idk what to do , its like a timer.

That's weird af! Still in my opinion you need to try to check stability of your power.

xGoldilx wrote:
CPU: i9-7900x
MB: ROG Rampage VI EXTREME
RAM: G.Skill TridentZ RGB F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR 4x8GB CL18-19-19-39 1.35v
GPU: ROG Strix 1080Ti
HDD1: Samsung NVMe 960 PRO 512GB
HDD2: Intel SSDPEKNW512G8
Power: bequiet DARK POWER PRO 1000W (platinum)

That's it I think. Just realize on picture from before then the memory is working in dual channel dunno why... Thanks in advance for your help!

your memory is not qvl proof here

https://www.gskill.com/qvl/165/166/1536563455/F4-3866C18Q-32GTZR-Qvl

can you clean your ram slots with a brush ? and then insert strong be careful not to break the board ....do you insert in the right way the ram ..this is the right way from the oled panel to the m.2 first slot empty - second insert continue this way to the end

are you oc your rig ? or everything auto ?
MB: ASUS RAMPAGE VI EXTREME-CPU: Intel Core i9-7920X Processor Extreme Edition 4.2 GHZ auto-CORSAIR Hydro Series H80i v2 Video: GEFORCE GTX 1070 Founders Edition. - G.SKILL 32GB 14-14-14-34
F4-3200C14Q-32GTZR- Seasonic PRIME Titanium 850 w-SSD: Samsung SSD 850 PRO 2TB x3 -SSD: Samsung 950 PRO M.2 512GB OS-Sound Blaster Z -Intel Ethernet Server Adapter I210 CASE:Cooler Master: HAF X MONITOR:IPS LED LG 27" 27UD69P 27 inch 4K 5 ms TV: LG OLED55C8P OS: Windows 10 x64 Pro up to date

Hopper64
Level 15
You might try manual instead of xmp and tune your voltages. Some of my settings are here post 10 for my kit, but every memory kit and cpu and motherboard are different so you may have to tweak things for stability:

*https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?119100-Ecnore-Corsair-Dominator-Platinum-128GB-(CMT128GX4M...

MZ790A Bios 2002, GSkill F5-8000J3848H16GX2-TZRK, 13900KS, EKWB D5 TBE 300, Seasonic Prime TX-1600 ATX 3.0, Asus Strix 4090 w/ Optimus block, Phanteks Enthoo Elite, Asus Claymore 2, Asus Gladius 3, Asus XG349C, Samsung 990, Windows 11 Pro