Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

Exclamation Any way to disable NVME in BIOS ?

This is really annoying, what if you want to isolate 2 systems and you can't disable NVME? Is someone doing anything to fix this?! It is really important, to be able to do that and pretty basic feature. Or what if you go to online bank, you want to disable all of your disks! I heard ASUS years ignoring this...

ROG Guru: White Belt Array Saltgrass PC Specs
    Saltgrass PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus X11 Hero (Wi-Fi)
    Processori9 10900K
    Graphics Card #1EVGA GTX 2080 Super
    Sound CardOn Board
    MonitorDell AW3420DW
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO Plus 2 TB
    Storage #2Samsung 860 Pro 1 TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master Hyper 212X
    CaseCooler Master
    Power SupplyAntec HCP Platinum 1000
    Keyboard Dell AW510K
    Mouse Dell AW610M
    Headset/Speakers Logitech wired 5.1
    OS Win 10 Pro
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AX11000
    Accessory #1 VR Headset
    Accessory #2 Saitek X53

You may want to explain exactly what you are trying to do.. You don't want to use Secure Boot or you want to install in the Legacy mode?

NVMe in the Bios provides a driver during boot for a NVMe drive. If you don't to use it, you can add the SATA drivers during an install...

New ROGer Array

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Saltgrass View Post
    You may want to explain exactly what you are trying to do.. You don't want to use Secure Boot or you want to install in the Legacy mode?

NVMe in the Bios provides a driver during boot for a NVMe drive. If you don't to use it, you can add the SATA drivers during an install...
    I want to do exactly what i said: to disable NVME in bios to keep system i am booting from live-cd isolated. So your solution is not to use NVME ? How the heck i was supposed to know, before buying NVME and motherboard. When it is pretty basic feature. It was always possible to disable disks in bios, so i didn't thought, that would be a problem... Besides you never know what issues turn up, before buying new pc. You can't check for everything, besides you won't find some problems, unless you know what you are looking for. Which you can't know, before buying it...

Besides you won't find certain info, even in manuals, official website and reviews. I read all of these and didn't hear about this issue.
    Last edited by empleat; 07-15-2020 at 02:51 PM.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by empleat View Post
    I want to do exactly what i said: to disable NVME in bios to keep system i am booting from live-cd isolated. So your solution is not to use NVME ? How the heck i was supposed to know, before buying NVME and motherboard. When it is pretty basic feature. It was always possible to disable disks in bios, so i didn't thought, that would be a problem... Besides you never know what issues turn up, before buying new pc. You can't check for everything, besides you won't find some problems, unless you know what you are looking for. Which you can't know, before buying it...

Besides you won't find certain info, even in manuals, official website and reviews. I read all of these and didn't hear about this issue.
    You really aren't explaining yourself as well as you think you are.

New ROGer Array

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by cricketbones View Post
    You really aren't explaining yourself as well as you think you are.
    Are you kidding me? Are you trolling me right now? Do you speak english? I want to do exactly what i mean...
    I W A N T T O D I S A B L E N V M E I N B I O S
    Btw do you know, that you can disable sata disks in BIOS? I want to do same thing with nvme.............

New ROGer Array Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Jesseinsf PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme (Z390)
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMW128GX4M4E3200C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Sound CardCreative Labs Sound Blaster AE-9
    MonitorSamsung 32" UH750 QLED UHD Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MLX-D36M-A20PC-R1 w/ Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM x3 Fans
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL (ROG Certified)
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200 Platinum
    Keyboard RAZER HUNTSMAN ELITE - LINEAR OPTICAL SWITCH (Red) w/ PBT Keycaps
    Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate with Charging Dock
    Headset Bowers and Wilkins P9 Signature
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula V2 Mousepad
    Headset/Speakers Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    OS Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AC5300
    Accessory #1 Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
    Accessory #2 Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM

We are not trolling you. We want to know what your setup is. Give us scenarios. "Isolating two system"? What do you mean by that? where is the OS installed? Do you want the ability to boot in to two different drives independently without each OS knowing the other drive exists by turning off NVMe or SATA completely (kind of like having two separate isolated computers in one where it's physically and virtually impossible to hack)? What you are explaining to us is way to broad.

With todays motherboards, you can turn off the native NVMe driver, but that is it.
    Last edited by Jesseinsf; 07-18-2020 at 06:20 PM.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array

Quote Originally Posted by empleat View Post
    Are you kidding me? Are you trolling me right now? Do you speak english? I want to do exactly what i mean...
    I W A N T T O D I S A B L E N V M E I N B I O S
    Btw do you know, that you can disable sata disks in BIOS? I want to do same thing with nvme.............
    Well guess what? You can't do that.
    Deal with it. And maybe try listening to what other people are trying to ask you instead of acting elitist, entitled, fat and lazy.

New ROGer Array

Quote Originally Posted by Jesseinsf View Post
    We are not trolling you. We want to know what your setup is. Give us scenarios. "Isolating two system"? What do you mean by that? where is the OS installed? Do you want the ability to boot in to two different drives independently without each OS knowing the other drive exists by turning off NVMe or SATA completely (kind of like having two separate isolated computers in one where it's physically and virtually impossible to hack)? What you are explaining to us is way to broad.

With todays motherboards, you can turn off the native NVMe driver, but that is it.
    I thought is was clear. Yes it is how you said it. I have WIndows 10 installed on NVME. For example, when i do online banking from live cd, i used to disable all my disks , to reduce risk . To isolate live cd system, from other system and things on disks. But i found many posts on these forums people want to have option to disable NMVE for various reasons, for years! I am not saying that to complain. I am just asking, if it is not possible. Or so devs will perphaps add it in future. I suppose when you disable sata controller in bios, disk won't simply work. But there is no option to disable nvme in bios. Maybe it would be possible with bios mod, but i don't want to risk it , on my new pc.

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    Deal with it. And maybe try listening to what other people are trying to ask you instead of acting elitist, entitled, fat and lazy.
    What? It said exactly what i mean, disable nvme in bios, same as you can disable sata controllers. How is that my fault, that you don't understand english?
    Last edited by empleat; 07-26-2020 at 10:00 AM.

New ROGer Array Jesseinsf PC Specs
    Jesseinsf PC Specs
    MotherboardASUS ROG Maximus XI Extreme (Z390)
    ProcessorIntel Core i9 9900K
    Memory (part number)Corsair CMW128GX4M4E3200C16
    Graphics Card #1NVIDIA - GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FE
    Sound CardCreative Labs Sound Blaster AE-9
    MonitorSamsung 32" UH750 QLED UHD Monitor
    Storage #1Samsung 970 Pro M.2 PCIe SSD 1TB
    CPU CoolerCooler Master MLX-D36M-A20PC-R1 w/ Noctua NF-F12 industrialPPC-2000 IP67 PWM x3 Fans
    CaseLian Li PC-011 Dynamic XL (ROG Certified)
    Power SupplyCooler Master V1200 Platinum
    Keyboard RAZER HUNTSMAN ELITE - LINEAR OPTICAL SWITCH (Red) w/ PBT Keycaps
    Mouse Razer Basilisk Ultimate with Charging Dock
    Headset Bowers and Wilkins P9 Signature
    Mouse Pad Razer Vespula V2 Mousepad
    Headset/Speakers Creative GigaWorks T40 Series II
    OS Windows 10 Pro for Workstations
    Network RouterROG Rapture GT-AC5300
    Accessory #1 Microsoft Xbox Elite Wireless Controller Series 2
    Accessory #2 Logitech BRIO ULTRA HD PRO WEBCAM

Sadly the answer is no (for now). The only option in this situation is creating a virtual machine, which is better than having to buy two separate PCs. In a virtual machine, you can completely hide any host hard drive as if it were turned off in the BIOS. You do this by not enabling the functionality. Hope this helps for now.

The virtual machine software called Hyper-V is built in to Windows 10 Pro and needs to be enabled if you want to use it. And of course, you need a copy of Windows.

ROG Guru: Yellow Belt Array no1yak PC Specs
    no1yak PC Specs
    MotherboardMaximus Hero X I Wi-Fi/ Hero IX
    Processori9 9900KF/ i7 7700K both @ 4.7Ghz
    Memory (part number)Gskill F4-3200C16D / Corsair 2400 LPX
    Graphics Card #1Evga GTX 1070 SC ACX3 / Evga 1060 SC
    Sound CardEssence One DAC Muses edition
    MonitorEizo CG275W/ Dell U2719D
    Storage #1Samsung 970 EVO Plus NVMe / 950 Pro
    Storage #2Samsung EVO 950 Pro M.2 + 850 Pro 1TB
    CPU CoolerCorsair 150i pro/Noctua NHu-14S
    CaseCorsair 500D/ Corsair 450D
    Power SupplyEvga 650 P2 /Corsair HX750
    Keyboard Cherry MX6
    Mouse Corsair M65
    Headset/Speakers Corsair SP2500 + Senn HD650 + HD 600
    OS Windows 10 Pro x64 1909

Quote Originally Posted by Falkentyne View Post
    Agreed +1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast