cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Any way to disable NVME in BIOS ?

empleat
Level 10
This is really annoying, what if you want to isolate 2 systems and you can't disable NVME? Is someone doing anything to fix this?! It is really important, to be able to do that and pretty basic feature. Or what if you go to online bank, you want to disable all of your disks! I heard ASUS years ignoring this...
29 REPLIES 29

Saltgrass
Level 13
You may want to explain exactly what you are trying to do.. You don't want to use Secure Boot or you want to install in the Legacy mode?

NVMe in the Bios provides a driver during boot for a NVMe drive. If you don't to use it, you can add the SATA drivers during an install...
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
You may want to explain exactly what you are trying to do.. You don't want to use Secure Boot or you want to install in the Legacy mode?

NVMe in the Bios provides a driver during boot for a NVMe drive. If you don't to use it, you can add the SATA drivers during an install...

I want to do exactly what i said: to disable NVME in bios to keep system i am booting from live-cd isolated. So your solution is not to use NVME ? How the heck i was supposed to know, before buying NVME and motherboard. When it is pretty basic feature. It was always possible to disable disks in bios, so i didn't thought, that would be a problem... Besides you never know what issues turn up, before buying new pc. You can't check for everything, besides you won't find some problems, unless you know what you are looking for. Which you can't know, before buying it...

Besides you won't find certain info, even in manuals, official website and reviews. I read all of these and didn't hear about this issue.

empleat wrote:
I want to do exactly what i said: to disable NVME in bios to keep system i am booting from live-cd isolated. So your solution is not to use NVME ? How the heck i was supposed to know, before buying NVME and motherboard. When it is pretty basic feature. It was always possible to disable disks in bios, so i didn't thought, that would be a problem... Besides you never know what issues turn up, before buying new pc. You can't check for everything, besides you won't find some problems, unless you know what you are looking for. Which you can't know, before buying it...

Besides you won't find certain info, even in manuals, official website and reviews. I read all of these and didn't hear about this issue.

You really aren't explaining yourself as well as you think you are.

cricketbones wrote:
You really aren't explaining yourself as well as you think you are.

Are you kidding me? Are you trolling me right now? Do you speak english? I want to do exactly what i mean...
I W A N T T O D I S A B L E N V M E I N B I O S
Btw do you know, that you can disable sata disks in BIOS? I want to do same thing with nvme.............

We are not trolling you. We want to know what your setup is. Give us scenarios. "Isolating two system"? What do you mean by that? where is the OS installed? Do you want the ability to boot in to two different drives independently without each OS knowing the other drive exists by turning off NVMe or SATA completely (kind of like having two separate isolated computers in one where it's physically and virtually impossible to hack)? What you are explaining to us is way to broad.

With todays motherboards, you can turn off the native NVMe driver, but that is it.

empleat wrote:
Are you kidding me? Are you trolling me right now? Do you speak english? I want to do exactly what i mean...
I W A N T T O D I S A B L E N V M E I N B I O S
Btw do you know, that you can disable sata disks in BIOS? I want to do same thing with nvme.............

Well guess what? You can't do that.
Deal with it. And maybe try listening to what other people are trying to ask you instead of acting elitist, entitled, fat and lazy.

Jesseinsf wrote:
We are not trolling you. We want to know what your setup is. Give us scenarios. "Isolating two system"? What do you mean by that? where is the OS installed? Do you want the ability to boot in to two different drives independently without each OS knowing the other drive exists by turning off NVMe or SATA completely (kind of like having two separate isolated computers in one where it's physically and virtually impossible to hack)? What you are explaining to us is way to broad.

With todays motherboards, you can turn off the native NVMe driver, but that is it.

I thought is was clear. Yes it is how you said it. I have WIndows 10 installed on NVME. For example, when i do online banking from live cd, i used to disable all my disks , to reduce risk . To isolate live cd system, from other system and things on disks. But i found many posts on these forums people want to have option to disable NMVE for various reasons, for years! I am not saying that to complain. I am just asking, if it is not possible. Or so devs will perphaps add it in future. I suppose when you disable sata controller in bios, disk won't simply work. But there is no option to disable nvme in bios. Maybe it would be possible with bios mod, but i don't want to risk it , on my new pc.

Falkentyne wrote:
Well guess what? You can't do that.
Deal with it. And maybe try listening to what other people are trying to ask you instead of acting elitist, entitled, fat and lazy.

What? It said exactly what i mean, disable nvme in bios, same as you can disable sata controllers. How is that my fault, that you don't understand english?

Sadly the answer is no (for now). The only option in this situation is creating a virtual machine, which is better than having to buy two separate PCs. In a virtual machine, you can completely hide any host hard drive as if it were turned off in the BIOS. You do this by not enabling the functionality. Hope this helps for now.

The virtual machine software called Hyper-V is built in to Windows 10 Pro and needs to be enabled if you want to use it. And of course, you need a copy of Windows.

Jesseinsf wrote:
Sadly the answer is no (for now). The only option in this situation is creating a virtual machine, which is better than having to buy two separate PCs. In a virtual machine, you can completely hide any host hard drive as if it were turned off in the BIOS. You do this by not enabling the functionality. Hope this helps for now.

The virtual machine software called Hyper-V is built in to Windows 10 Pro and needs to be enabled if you want to use it. And of course, you need a copy of Windows.

How is that gonna help, for example if you want to install Ubuntu dual boot, you have to disable every other disk. Or in case online-banking useless. I heard other reasons too, there is a lot of technical reasons, why this is actually needed. So i read posts ranging from 2013, that you can't disable it, is like wtf... Anyway, i posted more to raise awareness, than anything, even i doubt it is gonna do anything...

I wouldn't buy actually asus mobo again, because of this...