Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    New ROGer Array

So it seems this is still an issue. I had a problem over a year ago with a similar scenario.
    I sometimes like to do a fresh install of windows. However I dont want to just blow away my current setup in case I miss some piece of data thats buried in appdata, etc. So I like to install to a fresh partition for testing. then after a few months, remove the old install. As of now windows will still update the original bootloader, so when I do remove that previous install, it breaks the current one. I like each drive to have its own boot info. This is where disabling drives with existing Windows installs comes into play. Since you cant, I have to physically open my case, unscrew the nvme drive, remove the drive, then proceed with the installation, go back and reinstall the drive. Very tedious vs other motherboards I've used where I could just toggle off a specific drive. Or at a minimum I could just pop out the sata or power to the drive.

ROG Guru: Orange Belt Array sdmf74 PC Specs
    sdmf74 PC Specs
    Laptop (Model)N/A
    MotherboardMAXIMUS IX FORMULA
    ProcessorI7 7700K
    Memory (part number)F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR
    Graphics Card #1GTX 980TI K|NGP|N
    Graphics Card #2N/A
    Graphics Card #3N/A
    Graphics Card #4N/A
    Sound CardON BOARD
    MonitorASUS PG279Q, BENQ XL2420TE, HISENSE 55H9F
    Storage #1SAMSUNG 960 PRO M.2 512GB
    Storage #2SAMSUNG 970 EVO PLUS 1TB, SAMSUNG 850 PRO 512GB, SAMSUNG 850 EVO 1TB
    CPU CoolerEK VELOCITY RGB
    CaseCASELABS MERLIN SM8 (2 TONE)
    Power SupplyEVGA 1300G2 SUPERNOVA
    Keyboard WOOTING ONE, DUCKY ONE TKL RGB
    Mouse LOGITECH G PRO HERO
    Headset SENNHESIER G4ME ZERO
    Mouse Pad REFLEX LAB XXXL
    Headset/Speakers KLIPSCH PRO MEDIA 2.1
    OS WINDOWS 10 PRO
    Network RouterASUS RT-AC86U, ASUS RT-AC68U

This thread needs a bump so Asus can see it & respond, not that they visit their own forum anyway but some ridiculous responses to OP here for sure.
    Who cares why he wants to individually disable disable each NVME drive from the bios! Sure most questions in forums require relative info & what gear is being used but there are so many reasons one might need to disable one or all their NVME SSD's, it seems like an obvious feature to have (or to not get rid of).
    Got alot of respect for @falkentyne but what an ignorant response.

ASUS please give us the ability to disable drives like we've been able to do for decades with SATA or please explain to us why this is impossible
    ASUS Maximus 13 Hero, Intel I9 11900k, EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA & EK BLOCK, G Skill Trident Z RGB 3600 32GB
    EVGA supernova 1300G2, EK Velocity D-RGB, Samsung 980 Pro 1tb(OS), 970 evo plus 1tb, 850 EVO 1tb, 860 Evo 1tb, 850 Pro 512gb,
    Asus PG279Q 165HZ, BenQ 144hz, Hisense 55H9F, Windows 11 pro

New ROGer Array

Hello,

I have posted on these forums about this very problem with an X470 Crosshair VII a while back. I wanted to disable the SATA ports on the motherboard for installing Windows as it has caused problems for me in the past. Eventually the option was added, and I was able to disable the second M.2 slot too eventually.

I have just got a new system, B650E-E Strix - I'm unable to disable any of the M.2 slots, nor can I disable any of the SATA ports. The SATA drives I have, fine I can quickly unplug the power from them - but the disconnecting any of the M.2 drives means taking the GPU out, messing with cables, taking off the heat spreaders, putting the GPU back in, installing Windows, then removing the GPU again to put the NVME drives back. It's ridiculous.

All the hundreds of "tweakers paradise" settings, and they, for some bizarre reason, consistently leave this one basic "disable device" option.

ASUS: Please add the option to disable SATA and NVME devices as standard. PLEASE.

🙂

New ROGer Array billpothen PC Specs
    billpothen PC Specs
    MotherboardROG MAXIMUS XI HERO (WI-FI)
    ProcessorIntel Core i9-9900K
    Memory (part number)HyperX Predator 2666 C13 2x8GB
    Graphics Card #1ROG-STRIX-GTX1060-A6G-GAMING
    MonitorLG 3440 x 1440
    Storage #1Samsung 970 PRO 512G NVMe
    Storage #2Seagate BarraDuca internal 3GB SATA
    CPU CoolerCorsair Hydro Series H115i PRO
    CaseCoursair Carbide 275Q
    Power SupplySeasonic Prime 850 Platinum
    Keyboard logitech k750
    Mouse logitech m705
    OS Windows 11 PRO
    Network RouterLinksys EA9500

Question

I am facing this very same issue on a Maximus XI (wi-fi).

I tried it anyway and ended up with a windows dual boot that defaulted to the new load to a HDD. I could not figure out how to change which load would be the default. Every try bios or windows selection only ended up in frustration. I even tried disabling the HDD and windows had issues trying to boot.
    I ended up doing a restore to the morning before doing the load. Now it boots as normal and when I enable the HDD it isn't selectable as a boot option in BIOS.

So, It appears I need to disable the NVME drive to get a 2nd windows 11 loaded for some testing so I quit messing with my production system.

Has anyone figured out a way with out having to physically removing the NVME drive?

Thanks for any help.
    Bill

ROG Member Array mcury PC Specs
    mcury PC Specs
    MotherboardB550-F Gaming
    ProcessorRyzen 5 5800x3D
    Memory (part number)F4-3200C14D-16GTZ (4 x8GB)
    Graphics Card #1Red Devil 6750xt
    MonitorAsus VG248QE
    Storage #1WD SN550
    Storage #2WD SN850
    CPU CoolerDeepcool AK620
    CaseNZXT 340 Elite
    Power SupplyXPG Reactor 850W
    Keyboard Logitech K120
    Mouse Logitech G203
    Headset HP HyperX Cloud
    Mouse Pad Razer green
    OS Windows 11 / Arch Linux
    Network RouterNetgate SG-3100 / Unifi Flex Mini / Unifi NanoHD
    Accessory #1 Logitech C922 Pro Stream HD Webcam

I would like to see this option enabled too. B550-F gaming (non wifi). This option exists for SATA but not for M.2 ?

I have dual boot, linux and Windows.
    When installing Windows, it automatically chooses the EFI partition in my M.2 drive which has Linux installed, and it is a mess, it breaks everything and I need to fix grub and other stuff.

Every time I need to test a new distro, I need to remove my M.2 drive, a option in BIOS would be pretty nice indeed...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3