cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus TUF A17 TUF706-AS76 Questions - RAID & RAM

Angstromm
Level 8
The manual is very minimal. No mention of RAID yet BIOS seems to have it as an option. Support site FAQ has no mention of RAID either. So, can a RAID array (RAID-0, stripped) be configured on this laptop? If so, what do i need to know, other than selecting RAID in BIOS?

Also, I've seen several sites indicate that the A17 can support 64GB RAM, yet I see elsewhere that the limit is 32GB. Anyone know which??

Very pleased, so far. Wish there was more info/documentation available from Asus. I don't expect there to be a ton if user-based info, as yet, given this is a new laptop; but if anyone has any leads on good sources of info, please do share.

Thanks much!!
9 REPLIES 9

Blake1
Level 10
Hello Angstromm,
Please PM me your SN.
I will check for both issue.
Thank you.

Angstromm
Level 8
Angstromm wrote:
The manual is very minimal. No mention of RAID yet BIOS seems to have it as an option. Support site FAQ has no mention of RAID either. So, can a RAID array (RAID-0, stripped) be configured on this laptop? If so, what do i need to know, other than selecting RAID in BIOS?

Also, I've seen several sites indicate that the A17 can support 64GB RAM, yet I see elsewhere that the limit is 32GB. Anyone know which??

Very pleased, so far. Wish there was more info/documentation available from Asus. I don't expect there to be a ton if user-based info, as yet, given this is a new laptop; but if anyone has any leads on good sources of info, please do share.

Thanks much!!

Got the answers I was looking for:

Laptop supports 32GB RAM

Laptop supports RAID - There is now a RAID driver with user guides available for download on the ASUS TUF Gaming A17 Driver & Tools page. The file contains quick start and AMD RAIDXpert2 user guides!

Time to RAID-0!

Now all that I need is a list of compatible RAM modules.

So, don't know if this should be a new thread or not, but thought that since this is such a new laptop it makes sense to keep this in one place for now--and it relates to my initial question about memory...

I got a new RAM kit: G.Skill Ripjaws 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4-3200MHz 18-18-18-43 1.2V F4-3200C18D-32GRS

The original sticks were rated at 3200 CL22, as opposed to these new ones at 3200 CL18.

The issue is timings show up the same as old sticks (in CPU-Z, HWiNFO64, etc.): 22-22-22-52.

Are timings hard-set in BIOS? There is, of course, no way to change any memory settings at all. Is there no way to get laptop to recognize different timings or am I just stuck with CL22?

Thanks agian!

Angstromm wrote:

The original sticks were rated at 3200 CL22, as opposed to these new ones at 3200 CL18.

The issue is timings show up the same as old sticks (in CPU-Z, HWiNFO64, etc.): 22-22-22-52.

Are timings hard-set in BIOS? There is, of course, no way to change any memory settings at all. Is there no way to get laptop to recognize different timings or am I just stuck with CL22?

Thanks agian!

I have the same issue with my A15. My crucial Ballistix kit is rated at 3200 CL16. But shows up with CL22 running at 1333MHz.

I have been told by ASUS support that RAM speed was lowered in BIOS 309 to help with battery life, which makes very little sense. I was also told it would run full speed in 308 which I have verified is not true. We need to hope ASUS is working on a newer BIOS which fixes all these issues.

dragonthc wrote:
I have the same issue with my A15. My crucial Ballistix kit is rated at 3200 CL16. But shows up with CL22 running at 1333MHz.

I have been told by ASUS support that RAM speed was lowered in BIOS 309 to help with battery life, which makes very little sense. I was also told it would run full speed in 308 which I have verified is not true. We need to hope ASUS is working on a newer BIOS which fixes all these issues.

Those ARE odd answers.

These are new machines so I'm sure there will be BIOS updates. Whether or not the issue of RAM timings will be addressed, who knows! Sure wish ASUS would allow a tad more fiddling with BIOS settings... I get that laptops are specced out pretty tight and any OC'ing, messing about with voltages, etc., could prove fatal-ish.

But yeah, adding in support for more aggressive RAM timings at stock volts shouldn't prove an issue, one would think.

There's not much preventing ASUS from adding in full overclocking to this BIOS. They already have the modules written for other motherboards. It would be trivial at best for them to add it to this one

Angstromm wrote:
Those ARE odd answers.

These are new machines so I'm sure there will be BIOS updates. Whether or not the issue of RAM timings will be addressed, who knows! Sure wish ASUS would allow a tad more fiddling with BIOS settings... I get that laptops are specced out pretty tight and any OC'ing, messing about with voltages, etc., could prove fatal-ish.

But yeah, adding in support for more aggressive RAM timings at stock volts shouldn't prove an issue, one would think.

ColinMacLaren
Level 7
There are two standards which specify RAM timings and speed. The older, universal standard is called JEDEC and supported by every motherboard and RAm module. Fater RAms also often provide a second profile according to the so called XMP-specs. This is tehcnically already considered overclocking and thus usually not supported by lower-end notebooks (and I even had an HP Omen with RTX 2080 that did not support it). Many RAM modules only provide a basic JEDEC profile at 2133MHz and extremely relaxed timings and require a motherboard that supports XMP profiles in order to run at their top speed. The G.Skill modules mentioned before fall under that category.

The Crucial CL22 RAM used in the TUF A17s basic configuration is the only ram I know of that has a 3200MHz JEDEC profile. So it's as fast as it gets on this kind of notebook. The more expensive G.Skill (and other) ram modules that require a XMP compatible motherboard and Bios are actually running a lot slower here then the cheap Crucials.

Ricco59163
Level 7
Hi Team ,

I need bios 304 and 308 for FA706IU

can you send me this ?

big Thx

Ricco59163 wrote:
Hi Team ,

I need bios 304 and 308 for FA706IU

can you send me this ?

big Thx

Sorry, I only have v309.