Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    ROG Member Array

Unfortunately, that's my diagnosis as well. Which is really kind of sad considering this unit was touted as a "gaming laptop".

*edit:

It'd be fantastic if I could just get it rma'd and fixed(under warranty) and get back to gaming.
    Last edited by Yemon; 03-25-2012 at 10:44 PM.

ROG Member Array

Update....

Seeing as asus wouldn't help, I took matters into my own hands and may have fixed it.

ROG Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Yemon View Post
    Update....

Seeing as asus wouldn't help, I took matters into my own hands and may have fixed it.
    Also many thanks to the other forum members on their input

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

You could help others by describing in detail how you fixed your issue.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Member Array

Info on my surprising success at bringing my G73jh back from the dead.

I did a full tear down yanked the mobo and G-card. While I've read stories of loose connections, everything on the board appeared tight and well seated.

I removed the heat sink form the G-card and found the thermal pads on the card had been put on rather sloppily so I carefully lifted and reseated them. The GPU appeared to have a bit less thermal paste than I like, so I cleaned off the parts and put a fresh bit of paste on.

While the mobo was out, I popped the mobo battery and let the mobo drain down while I cleaned and prepped the G-card.

I then re-assembled everything and tried booting it up.

While the work on the G-card may have helped, as well as reseating all the connections, I have a sneaking suspicion that pulling the battery on the mobo and letting the board drain down completely may have been the kicker. My wife's old dell laptop(from n2003) had, had a similiar situation once and I went through almost the same process on it several years ago and it's worked ever since. I can only hope that my luck in this instance, works as well since she still uses it browse forums and fb while we game.

ROG Guru: Gold Belt Array dstrakele's Avatar

Congratulations, Dr. Frankenstein! I find it very significant you were able to determine the problem was NOT a dead video adapter. This can help and bring some hope to others who experience a similar issue.
    G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

ROG Member Array

Well, my take on it is this...

* the cmos reset button doesn't really work like it's supposed to.
    * battery out reset doesn't really work.
    * the loose connection thing doesn't really seem feasible.
    * the possibility may exist that the known issues with the board architecture can be possibly offset by discharging the board to regain the system os.

My question is, 'Has Asus already figured this out?"

IF we can get some confirmed unbricking on a few more of the G series Systems and the problem really is somewhere in the board architecture then Asus is going to need to do a little pr work, like sending registered owners a 1/2" hole saw, & rubber plug to mod the case and thereby making the battery easily removable(or like sending me a full padfone kit LOL ).

LOL the hole saw idea might actually work now that i think about it. Hmmm mpossible mod in my future

New ROGer Array

Just received my laptop back from RMA for this same issue. black screen no asus logo but could hear windows boot if speakers were on. Received it back with a note that said issue could not be duplicated returned unrepaired. However, the system booted right up even though for weeks it would not. I'm not sure if they fixed it in a manner that would be deemed unacceptable for waranty work or if being unplugged for several days for shipping made it fix itself. I'll post back after running some games for a while to see if the issue returns and is possibly heat related or if it stays away.

ROG Member Array

That **** happened to me too. Sent it in for RMA for the second time this year..... I fear for the warranty to go out and that
    something will happen again... the service kinda sucks too, i mean what the hell, why do they sell me a laptop that is already
    broken

ROG Member Array

I'm going to take apart and try finding that battery to pull tomorrow. I have tried twice by email for rma and havent heard back from asus but what bothers me is i cant find the 3rd stick of ram for 12g total. thats the only 1 of course i havent reseated. I hear nothing but bad responses on rma so I may as well keep working on this with the forums.
    G53SX-RH71

15.6" 1920 x 1080 Full HD (16:9) Matte Type Display
    Intel Core i7-2670QM Processor, 2.2 GHz
    IC Diamond Thermal Compound - CPU + GPU
    Memory 12GB, PC3-10600/1333Mhz DDR3 - 3 x 4GB
    Hard Drive 750GB/7200rpm 16MB Cache Buffer SATA-300 (SATA II 3GB/s)
    NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560M w/2GB GDDR5 295.73

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast