cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

G73JH Black screen :(

Yemon
Level 7
So the other night I Rebooted My G73jh, went to grab some more coffee amd came back to a Black/Blank Screen. Tested the vga out and the HDMI but no response. Called Asus and they claim they won't RMA since the 1 year manufacturers warranty is up by a couple of months, which really doesn't give me a warm fuzzy feeling about the tech support.

This is the most expensive system I've ever purchased as I usually build my own and to have the system crap out after little more than a year of light use really makes me a little perturbed.

I'm fairly familiar with builds/repair, So I've been throught the usual bit's of checking seats, Battery in/out reset. Cmos Reset. I haven't as of yet pulled the mobo but from what I've been able to see, there doesn't appear to be any burn spots, fat caps or lack of thermal paste on the GPU.
52 REPLIES 52

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hi

When you went for that coffee, did you close the notebook or was it open and then it was black ?

If it was closed, then it could be the magnet sensor that is stucked or something. So you'll need a magnet to get the screen to work 🙂
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

It was closed with another monitor on the vga out. There were no changes in magnet testing the closed lid sensor. 🙂

fuzon1337
Level 10
Hmm... so your notebook does boot up but you don't get any picture on the screen?

Could it be a faulty RAM that you're handling with then ?

EDIT: If it turns out to be a faulty RAM, take out all of them, and run one at the time so you can find out which RAM that puts an end to your system.
Asus G73SW-91058V 3D
- Intel Centrino Ultimate-N 6300
- BIOS 205

I tried Alternating seating of ram, single, dual, none. No changes...still a black screen. 🙂

dstrakele
Level 14
1) Does the ASUS splash screen appear on the attached external monitor, or on your laptop display if you removed the external monitor?

2) Does removing everything from all ports (including the card reader), unplugging the laptop, removing the battery, holding the Power On button down for 30 seconds, then plugging in just the power adapter and restarting, display any video on the laptop display?

3) Have you tried reseating your HDD?

4) If you spam F2 on startup, can you enter the BIOS with video displayed?
G74SX-A1 - stock hardware - BIOS 202 - 2nd Monitor VISIO VF551XVT

I've reseated everything a few times now while trying to eliminate what the problem might have been. I get no display from any output(lcd,vga,hdmi) no post, logo's or bios.

dstrakele
Level 14
What about recommendation #2?

No change. Black screen 😕

dstrakele
Level 14
Unfortunately, it looks like your video adapter has gone to hardware heaven...