cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

New to OCing with Sandy Bridge - Question about core temps I should expect.

Shazbat
Level 7
I am having a Devil of a time trying to OC this new setup.

I am currently running my 3960x @ 4.1GHz

I use X.M.P mode and the setting I adjust are:
vCore Auto
VTT,VCCSA 1.250
disable power saving(Stepping)

I see core temps 69-71 using core temps 1.0 RC3 and CPU temp of 59 using Sensor Recorder from thr AI Suite II

Questions:

1) What is the diff between CPU temp and the core temps
2) What are max temps for the 3960X?

i7-3960X, ASUS Rampage IV, GSkill F3-19200CL9Q-16GBZMD ( 16 GB ), SLI-3way EVGA GTX580, Corsair AX1200 PSU, Corsair H100

On the Intel X79 SATA: (RAID 10)
- SATA6G_1: Corsair Force 3 GT <- No RAID
- SATA6G_2: ASUS Blu-ray writer (BW-12B1ST) <- Not SATA 3
- SATA3G_1: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
- SATA3G_2: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
- SATA3G_3: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
- SATA3G_4: Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1 TB
Thank you in advance.
30 REPLIES 30

8_Pack
Level 12
Core temps are actual temps taken from sensors within teh CPU its self. The CPU temp is a measurement taken by the motherboard usually using a diode somewhere near or within the socket. Use Core Temp it gives a more correct reading for actual temps of the onboard cores.

Max temps are the TjMax in Core Temp I believe this is 91 C. When I am overclocking for overall long term stability I try keep my temps below 70 ideally below 60 if possible and below 80 as an absolute maximum. If I was you I would shoot for my best clock below 70C.

What cooler are you using and what are the actual voltages then we can see if your temps are high or not for the voltage used. You may also want to check the mount of the mount of the cooler make sure you have good contact. These CPU are hot though 130w TDP without any overclocking.

Thank you for the reply.

I have a Corsair H100 <- cooler. I am am just using the Auto for voltage. Using AI Suite I can see the Vcore is ( 1.352) VTT CPU ( 1.25), CPU VCCSA ( 1.25). Need others? Maybe the cooler is not up to the game? Does not look like I am gona be able to push this thing much.

Retired
Not applicable
h 100 should be Ok for 5,1 ghz (75-85c).. if xtra fan are added, such as push/pull, with high performance fans, the temp drops around 3-4c idle, and some at the peak, with 2 xtra..

with reasonable voltage, that is...

And good "air-health" in the case

Did a test now as we speak. 4,806 ghz, and i had 57c max load..

did not use corsairs profiles on the radiator fans.. And all the case-fans on program (bios).

so fine-tune your gear, and keep on clocking..:)

Hm somthing is wrong then.

I have my H100 in push Pull. I tied the 4 fans to the MoBo to better control the fans.

Wonder if this could be a connection prob between the sink and the cpu?

As far as i can tell the pump is working fine. The fan RPMs read at 2K.

Any other ideas?

Retired
Not applicable
It dont have to be wrong, i have all my fans extremely synchronized..

But more than 4,1ghz, should not be a prob..

Yes the pump-impeller is supposed to run at around 2000 rpm on the H 100..

Dont use 4 fans on 1 cpu_fan socket..

use 2 fans on cpu_fan
and the other 2 on opt_cpufan

Sry did not imply you were wrong. I think there is somthing wrong with my set up. There is NO way i could get the performace you are reporting. I get to 4.3 and core temps are esilly in the upper 70's loaded. I would prefer them in the 60s for a 24/7 OC.

Retired
Not applicable
idle/low load , its very silent.. But when under load, the fans sound's like this...>

Retired
Not applicable
Show us a pic or 2, from your gear/setup..

grottslampan wrote:
Show us a pic or 2, from your gear/setup..

Willco tonight.

Right now I am thinking the following:

1) Custom push pull not configured right OR some of the fans are not working... When I plugged the fans into the MoBo I can get a reading of the RPM and two of them remain low even under high loads... This could be a fan prob or a mobo prob. Will need some permutations of the setup to figure that out.

2) The H100 is busted? Not sure how to prove that yet as the reading from the CPU fans says the RPM of the pump are all good.

3) The H100 is not seated well. I had a bit of a hard time getting this on the 2011 socket. There are lost o complaints about this. Takes a bit of force. I also removed the factory applied thermal material in favor of a better one. Maybe I applied too little or too much.

standby.

Thank you for the help and interest. These suggestions really help.