cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GU501 Sonic Studio 3 is not working after Windows 10 updates

FelixSG
Level 7
On my ROG GU501, the Sonic Studio 3 is no longer working after recent Windows 10 updates.
10 REPLIES 10

MoKiChU
Level 40
FelixSG wrote:
On my ROG GU501, the Sonic Studio 3 is no longer working after recent Windows 10 updates.

Hi,

Try with Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG/TUF NB) from this drivers thread. Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process with cleanup step, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow the UPDATE process.

Note (in order to choose correctly the install/update process to use) : You have a ASUS ROG SS3 notebook.

MoKiChU wrote:
Hi,

Try with Realtek Audio Drivers (UAD - ASUS ROG/TUF NB-DT) from this drivers thread. Follow scrupulously your INSTALL process with cleanup step, for the next drivers packages that I would release, you will can directly follow the UPDATE process.

Note (in order to choose correctly the install/update process to use) : You have a ASUS ROG SS3 notebook.

I downloaded and ran the Driver Store Explorer, but now I see none of a-volute | avolute | dax | dts | hdx | realtek inf on its list to force deletion.

FelixSG wrote:
I downloaded and ran the Driver Store Explorer, but now I see none of a-volute | avolute | dax | dts | hdx | realtek inf on its list to force deletion.

It's perfect (it is clearly indicated in the process "if you find them"), you can continue and follow your INSTALL process.

MoKiChU wrote:
It's perfect (it is clearly indicated in the process "if you find them"), you can continue and follow your INSTALL process.

You were right. I followed the instructions and now it seems working.
But here are more issues.

1. This is an older version. I still cannot install and use the latest one on GU501 Download page.

https://www.asus.com/us/Laptops/ROG-GU501/HelpDesk_Download/

(ASUS Sonic Studio 3 V3.6.45.60920)

And the older version has a bug for losing its Smart Volume option after every rebooting.

2. I see no tray icon of Sonic Studio 3.

3. It buzzes with some noise even when I turn off its studio effects. (maybe results from old version of Realtek driver?)

4. It has somewhat unstable login connection to Asus Webstorage to save its configurations in the Cloud.

Anyway thanks for your help that I can use the old version as a temporary alternative.

FelixSG wrote:
You were right. I followed the instructions and now it seems working. Thanks for help.

1. This is an older version. I still cannot install and use the latest one on GU501 Download page.

And the older version has a bug for losing its Smart Volume option after every rebooting.

You are now using UAD/DCH drivers (following the instructions I gave you) and no longer HDA/Legacy drivers (which are not optimal for newer versions of Windows 10).

Sonic Studio III & Sonic Radar III are Win32/Legacy apps (v3.6.45.60920 in your notebook support page) which must be used with HDA drivers and are not intended to work with UAD drivers. Since you are now using UAD/DCH drivers (which are optimal for newer versions of Windows 10), you need to install Sonic Studio III UWP & Sonic Radar III (Optional) UWP apps from Microsoft Store as indicated in the Install Process.

FelixSG wrote:

HDA Drivers have tray icon (possibility to disable it)
UAD Drivers don't have tray icon (without possibility to enable it)

FelixSG wrote:
3. It buzzes with some noise even when I turn off its studio effects. (maybe results from old version of Realtek driver?)

Already answered in the answer for your question 1 (Win32/Legacy apps are not intended to work with UAD drivers and must not be installed).

FelixSG wrote:
4. It has somewhat unstable login connection to Asus Webstorage to save its configurations in the Cloud.

I am unable to reproduce your issue.

MoKiChU
Level 40
FelixSG wrote:
You were right. I followed the instructions and now it seems working. Thanks for help.

You are now using UAD/DCH drivers (following the instructions I gave you) and no longer HDA/Legacy drivers (which are not optimal for newer versions of Windows 10).

Sonic Studio III & Sonic Radar III are Win32/Legacy apps (v3.6.45.60920 in your notebook support page) which must be used with HDA drivers and are not intended to work with UAD drivers. Since you are now using UAD/DCH drivers (which are optimal for newer versions of Windows 10), you need to install Sonic Studio III UWP & Sonic Radar III (Optional) UWP apps from Microsoft Store as indicated in the Install Process.

FelixSG wrote:

HDA Drivers have tray icon (possibility to disable it)
UAD Drivers don't have tray icon (without possibility to enable it)

FelixSG wrote:

I am unable to reproduce your issue.

Thanks again for your kind and detailed information.

I didn't know that a lower version of Sonic Studio 3 could even be better with more optimal UAD Realtek driver.

Only glitch now I see is that SS3 now keeps losing its selected option of Smart Volume.

(please see the image file link - it is marked with a green box)

https://imgur.com/a/f63VOcP

I hope this glitch will be fixed soon.

😄

FelixSG wrote:
Thanks again for your kind and detailed information.

I didn't know that a lower version of Sonic Studio 3 could even be better with more optimal UAD Realtek driver.

They are not lower, they are just different branches/types :

- Latest SS3 UWP only for UAD/DCH drivers : v3.16.11.0 (updated automatically from Microsoft Store)
- Latest SS3 Win32/Legacy only for HDA/Legacy drivers : v3.6.45.60920 (no more updated)

FelixSG wrote:
Only glitch now I see is that SS3 now keeps losing its selected option of Smart Volume.

I hope this glitch will be fixed soon.

😄

I see you are experiencing this in Advanced Mode, does this issue only occur with a particular game/app ? Do you encounter this issue in Basic Mode ?

MoKiChU wrote:

I see you are experiencing this in Advanced Mode, does this issue only occur with a particular game/app ? Do you encounter this issue in Basic Mode ?

Smart Volume is losing its selected option in Basic Mode, too.

And in Advanced Mode It happens for all games; and something worse is that if I customize (change) any detail of one specific profile, let's say 'Gaming', of a certain game, then it automatically is soon evenly applied to all the other games using that Gaming profile.

For example if I turn off Smart Volume of Game A, then shortly that of Game B is also turned off even though I do not intend it, and turning it on of Game B also affects to Game A, too.

This is pretty buggy for customization. Fortunately most of studio effects seem to working good.

Do you know exactly what folder has the SS3's setting or configuration files? I reinstalled it several times after I manually removed some related folders, but after all I failed to solve this issue.