cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting 970 EVO Plus on G752VS - Dynamic or MBR?

almightyfargoth
Level 7
Hey guys,

I bought and installed a 2TB 970 EVO Plus earlier, and I knew to expect it not to show up on reboot immediately, but I had a question about the exact correct method to format this drive. I'm only using this as a storage drive at the moment. I'm not putting Win10 on it or anything.

When I right click on it in Disk Management (it's labeled as Disk 1 and 1863GB and does say online) it gives me two options:

1. Convert to Dynamic Disk
2. Convert to MBR Disk

Do I choose dynamic disk as the choice? Does it matter that my other two drives seem to be formatted previously as MBR on this laptop? It seems to indicate when I right click the other ones that they are being listed as MBR. Would that create any kind of conflict choosing dynamic?
5 REPLIES 5

jdfrench3
Level 12
Mbr
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

Dynamic Disk allows you to create partitions (volumes) that span across many disks such as spanned or striped volumes, and you can even create fault-tolerant partitions such as RAID-5 or mirrored volumes. Like basic disks, dynamic disks also support GPT and MBR partition styles.

If you are buying two NVMe drives and you just want one partition that convers both drives then use Dynamic disk. As for Software RAID using Dynamic Disk.....You don't want Software RAID.

Clintlgm
Level 14
almightyfargoth wrote:
Hey guys,

I bought and installed a 2TB 970 EVO Plus earlier, and I knew to expect it not to show up on reboot immediately, but I had a question about the exact correct method to format this drive. I'm only using this as a storage drive at the moment. I'm not putting Win10 on it or anything.

When I right click on it in Disk Management (it's labeled as Disk 1 and 1863GB and does say online) it gives me two options:

1. Convert to Dynamic Disk
2. Convert to MBR Disk

Do I choose dynamic disk as the choice? Does it matter that my other two drives seem to be formatted previously as MBR on this laptop? It seems to indicate when I right click the other ones that they are being listed as MBR. Would that create any kind of conflict choosing dynamic?

Actuall you your choice is really RAID or AHCI you still want to run in UEFI GPT mode. The other replies explain RAID set ups. Most Asus notebook come set up in RAID mode with either 2 m.2 set up in RAID 0, other like mine came in RAID mode with no dynamic disk. The RAID drive is a good or Better than NVME drivers and is computable with most SSD's and harddrives. Thats is why most notebook maker are using the IRST RAID driver to operate there storage solution. I switched mine to AHCI just to see what the difference it and there isn't any difference other than Samsung Magican can see my 960 Pro. It could not see through the RAID driver. You do not want to use MBR your install will be 32bit and you'll lose my feature of 64 bit windows like only 4 GB of ram is useable in 32 bit. BIOS MBR is Legacy for good reasons.

You would go into your BIOS to switch from RAID To AHCI. I f you do want to set up, 2 m.2 SSDs in RAID 0 then select dynamic
G752VY-DH72 Win 10 Pro
512 GB M.2 Samsung 960 Pro
1 TB Samsung 850 pro 2.5 format
980m GTX 4 GB
32GB DDR 4 Standard RAM

Z97 PRO WiFi I7 4790K
Windows 10 Pro
Z97 -A
Windows 10 Pro

Clintlgm wrote:
Actuall you your choice is really RAID or AHCI you still want to run in UEFI GPT mode. The other replies explain RAID set ups. Most Asus notebook come set up in RAID mode with either 2 m.2 set up in RAID 0, other like mine came in RAID mode with no dynamic disk. The RAID drive is a good or Better than NVME drivers and is computable with most SSD's and harddrives. Thats is why most notebook maker are using the IRST RAID driver to operate there storage solution. I switched mine to AHCI just to see what the difference it and there isn't any difference other than Samsung Magican can see my 960 Pro. It could not see through the RAID driver. You do not want to use MBR your install will be 32bit and you'll lose my feature of 64 bit windows like only 4 GB of ram is useable in 32 bit. BIOS MBR is Legacy for good reasons.

You would go into your BIOS to switch from RAID To AHCI. I f you do want to set up, 2 m.2 SSDs in RAID 0 then select dynamic

Hey Clintlgm, it has been a few days since this post was originally posted. I would have all kinds of questions if the user were to respond....

From what I can parse from the original post, he is working from Disk Management within Windows and NOT within the BIOS. Windows has detected the new drive and is asking how it will be used. Windows is simply asking if the drive format should be Dynamic or MBR?

Format Dynamic for possible RAID use or MBR for separate (ACHI) storage use.

Back to the user's question, in Windows Disk Management, the correct answer is MBR.
G752VSK, G75VW-3D, G51J, G1S
Homebuilt Windows Server

jdfrench3 wrote:
Hey Clintlgm, it has been a few days since this post was originally posted. I would have all kinds of questions if the user were to respond....

From what I can parse from the original post, he is working from Disk Management within Windows and NOT within the BIOS. Windows has detected the new drive and is asking how it will be used. Windows is simply asking if the drive format should be Dynamic or MBR?

Format Dynamic for possible RAID use or MBR for separate (ACHI) storage use.

Back to the user's question, in Windows Disk Management, the correct answer is MBR.

Yeah it's just for storage use. Didn't have to change anything in BIOS. I have 64 bit WIn10 already on the main m.2 it came with. This was just to expand space on here using the other PCIE slot.

I set it for MBR and created a volume and it's been working perfect since then.

I've installed and tested about 25 games on it and checked speeds and it's running as it should. So I'm happy with it.