cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

BIOS Boot Setting: Windows UEFI/Other OS

Sooshi
Level 7
I have just built a new computer with the ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII Z490 and installed the latest Windows 10 (2004 version) and I noticed that when going into my BIOS under the Boot menu, that it's currently set to 'Other OS'. Am I suppose to change this to 'Windows UEFI'?
5 REPLIES 5

Saltgrass
Level 13
i will have to look at mine but usually the other OS is for Win 7 or some other OS. It would have been set to use Secure Boot so the other OS option would seem to be out of place.

Maybe you could verify exactly where you are seeing the setting so I can verify on my system..

I just checked mine, and under the Secure Boot options it did say Other OS. I have changed mine to UEFI and it booted normally but I will keep an eye on it..
Maximus Z790 Hero,
Intel i9-13900k
Intel BE200

Saltgrass wrote:
i will have to look at mine but usually the other OS is for Win 7 or some other OS. It would have been set to use Secure Boot so the other OS option would seem to be out of place.

Maybe you could verify exactly where you are seeing the setting so I can verify on my system..

I just checked mine, and under the Secure Boot options it did say Other OS. I have changed mine to UEFI and it booted normally but I will keep an eye on it..

I just noticed my windows 10 installation is also set Other OS. Have you had any issues since switching it to UEFI mode? I read that windows would not boot if you change from other OS to UEFI.

MrAgapiGC
Level 13
Sooshi wrote:
I have just built a new computer with the ASUS ROG Maximus Hero XII Z490 and installed the latest Windows 10 (2004 version) and I noticed that when going into my BIOS under the Boot menu, that it's currently set to 'Other OS'. Am I suppose to change this to 'Windows UEFI'?

YES
CSM disable
OTHER TYPE: UEFI.
Then SAFE and install the os
Learn, Play Enjoy!

ibushovskiy
Level 7
Thread of professionals as I see. Mark your words and go to 3DMark with Windows UEFI then you will go back to Other OS due to performance loss. And yes you can boot easily if you change Other OS to Windows UEFI and vice versa ...

BigJohnny
Level 13
I got no performance hit with UEFI boot and I can change back and forth. Only difference I notice is the post logo without UEFI is low resolution and the circular dots for boot take up half the screen. In UEFI its high res. Other than that the UEFI ties the OS to your machine and M$ account. If you intend on running Win11 you have no choice but to run UEFI and have a MS account. My take is they are taking the OS back and cutting off the leeching running unactivated. CSM allows you to boot legacy drives but I dont have anything that old. Everything works fine. My 3D marks scores dont suffer one bit. Better than 99% of all results. The 1% that beats me are the LN2 junkies.

26605 on TS