cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Help with RAM Upgrades ROG Strix GL12CX

jparker8543
Level 7
Hello!

First time posting on here. I've owned a GL12CX for a few months now and finally got around to attempting a RAM upgrade. I purchased Corsair Dominators, and even though they're rated up to 3200mhz, I only get 2133mhz out of them. Attempts to manually set the speed to equal that of the factory RAM, 2666mhz, has no effect. Attempting to load either XMP profile 1 or 2 in the BIOS results in a boot cycle loop. Is it possible to overclock my RAM on this system? I notice that the BIOS for the GL12CX lacks the AI Overclock options of Asus' other Z390 chipset motherboards... Appreciate any help given!
4 REPLIES 4

cl-Albert
US Customer Loyalty Agent
Welcome to the forums!

Unfortunately, not sure about all the details about this myself, but do not know a solution.
We treat the motherboards in these desktops sold complete differently from the motherboards sold separately as you have seen from the motherboard bios settings.
The GL12CX uses a customized motherboard that is not sold separately and our support for upgrades is a lot more limited as well, but not sure if what you are trying to do is possible or not and hopefully somebody will let us know if they found a way.

Although it's a different model, below is a customer with the GL12CM having similar issues with no apparent solution.
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?117084-Corsair-RAM-speed-issues-on-GL12CM

Was checking Crucial's website below for memory they approved for the GL12CX (ASUS has not officially approved the memory, so you will need to deal with Crucial if you run into any issues using their memory) and they seem to list faster memory, so not sure if it actually runs at the faster speed, runs at a slower speed, or could be incorrect?
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/rog-strix-gl12cx

have you tried the new 312 bios? i have the same gl12cx and plan to upgrade ram to 3200 MHZ . the new bios has a new option to enable memory overclock.

try your memory module and report back.

Ninja-Jo
Level 7
jparker8543 wrote:
Hello!

First time posting on here. I've owned a GL12CX for a few months now and finally got around to attempting a RAM upgrade. I purchased Corsair Dominators, and even though they're rated up to 3200mhz, I only get 2133mhz out of them. Attempts to manually set the speed to equal that of the factory RAM, 2666mhz, has no effect. Attempting to load either XMP profile 1 or 2 in the BIOS results in a boot cycle loop. Is it possible to overclock my RAM on this system? I notice that the BIOS for the GL12CX lacks the AI Overclock options of Asus' other Z390 chipset motherboards... Appreciate any help given!

Hey buddy, i am in the same boat. I have a Gl12cx too and just got corsair vengeance lpx (2x16gb) @ 3200mhz. I do have the latest bios upgrade v313. And I can see the XMP profile 1 and 2 but everytime I try it the computer goes in boot loop and will never open. I need to take the CMOS battery off every times to take it back to normal. And when I try to force custom speed 2666 or 3000 or 3200 won't have any effect. Still runs at 2133mhz at the end. So I wonder if you found out a solution or if you think that 32gb at 2133 is still better than 16gb at 2666mhz ?

Kind of an old thread but still... same story here with GL12CX - not booting up with either of XMP. I got trident 2x32GB 4000. Under 313 BIOS the best it is running at 3200mhz. There is no any safe solution to make it work I guess due to DIMM.2 module installed in that MB. It is good to have dual M2 SSD up and running for my tasks (laser scanning point cloud data processing and 3D modelling), but was is a good trade-off to expanded system capacity (XMPs)- well, I am not sure. Anyway messing with third-party bios re-writing opening hidden menus is not the way here, at least for me. Better to have system running while it is time to upgrade it to something of +2GEN components.