cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is 1.5v Ram Voltage Safe for Daily Use?

sneakyla
Level 7
Hello,

I currently own a z490 maximus hero 12 motherboard. I need to know if a 1.5v ram will be safe to use for daily use on this motherboard. Since the motherboard is fairly new, there isn't much post online to find out what test people have done yet.

Thanks.
3 REPLIES 3

hortons71
Level 7
It's safe if the temperatures are okay. Mine is 33 C normal and 43 C during memory stability test.

If you use a voltage higher than 1.5 v, you will get a lot of errors in memory stability test. You get a unstable system.

Arne_Saknussemm
Level 40
1.5 is kind of the limit....tune SA and IO volts for stability too....maybe less VDIMM needed if you tune those rails. However for 24/7 use running any frequency or timings that need that voltage is simply not necessary...just tune slightly lower...maybe a couple of notches lower frequency will allow tighter timings at less voltage

Arne Saknussemm wrote:
1.5 is kind of the limit....tune SA and IO volts for stability too....maybe less VDIMM needed if you tune those rails. However for 24/7 use running any frequency or timings that need that voltage is simply not necessary...just tune slightly lower...maybe a couple of notches lower frequency will allow tighter timings at less voltage

I agree, there's much misinterpretation that running higher RAM frequency with high voltages gives a faster system when in fact lower frequency but tighter timings with the appropriate voltage gives much faster system response and better stability when you get it just right. Application use is another important factor.

RAM with lowest CAS latency from factory is always the main factor to consider. It takes a lot of trials and tribulation and experimentation coz all systems with exact components will act differently to each other, under the same bios/system settings. If I'm correct running a system RAM voltage at 1.5v 24/7 you must be using something in the range at the least above 4000MHz RAM, the OP did not specify what RAM type they are using, a very important factor that we need to consider.