Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    New ROGer Array

oh ...one other thing, just for the purpose of ranting and you can ignore it...im sick to death of intel changing sockets every couple of years...fed up with it....

make one socket that fits all CPU's

from my very limited understanding of AMD - they have done this - why cant intel

(for the sake of simplicity, i understand that sometimes technology will need a change...but not every few years like what intel is doing)

Quote Originally Posted by HeroClass View Post
    oh ...one other thing, just for the purpose of ranting and you can ignore it...im sick to death of intel changing sockets every couple of years...fed up with it....

make one socket that fits all CPU's

from my very limited understanding of AMD - they have done this - why cant intel

(for the sake of simplicity, i understand that sometimes technology will need a change...but not every few years like what intel is doing)
    AMD have the same socket for x years and just does cpu refresh until a new cpu gen comes out and then *poff* new socket.
    menny refresh cpu's do not support the previous motherboard of the same cpu. (if you understand where i am going here? )

rendering i would go for menny cores and 64gig to 128gig ram and maby some fast driver? ( with backup IDE drive/drives for auto backup of data for not loosing data? ).
    cores will help you when rendering ( as you would know and by experience i guess? )
    google a little on the programs you use about the pluss and negative when it comes to AMD and INTEL for the recommended arcitect to go for.

for the amount of ram you gona put in there you could create a ram disk ( make ??% of the ram as a virtual drive ), but i do not know how to do so.

New ROGer Array

Morning KKN

Thank you for replying...

i am not sure if you noticed, but i did another reply on the end of the previous page....i just added a rant post after it - because of X reason...

yes i do understand about the socket and refresh of it - its good to know that AMD is doing the same as intel....

...the setup i am thinking of having is a m.2 as a scratch disk/work disk with a samsung t7 as the long term drive
    https://www.jbhifi.com.au/products/s...drive-2tbblack

yes i have heard of ram disk but would not use it - an m.2 is fast enough for my needs...

try and drop the rampage and go for one of the other and cheaper boards on the 2066 line up from asus ( or what ever vendor you would go for ).
    the rampage it like €1000 ( more or less ) and for example the ASUS ROG X299-E GAMING II, Socket-2066 is around €500 ish price.
    remember the highest prised of the ROG products is more aimed at overclockers and LNG options.
    you can even go for the ASUS WS C422 PRO/SE or ASUS TUF X299 MARK 2, witch cost's like 1/3 of the rampage board.
    or if you would want ram galore you could go for ASUS PRO WS C422-ACE witch have suport for 512gig of ram, witch is more in the work station type of motherboard.

and meh to that link of yours, personaly my experience with external drives are not good TBH.
    had a few external ssd drives die on me with in a short time with out warning.

New ROGer Array

Morning KKN

Thank you for replying.

Yes I might take your advice. Simply because I actually do not like overclocking - in fact i do my best to advise people not to - because from what I have researched, over clocked parts usually last half their life span - and if you are someone like me - i wish my parts to last as long as possible to make the most value for my dollars..

the other issue is seeing if suppliers can get the work station boards - usually suppliers in sydney mumble and grumble about getting unusual boards in ...

i was looking at the WS X299 Pro/SE - do you know if the SE means second edition?
    https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards...pecifications/

my problem with the work station boards, is from my experience, updates to these types of boards are slow from asus - and the on board components like sound are not as good as the rog boards....they seem to get alot more updates

from the comparison on the website - the c422 vs x299

not to mention - i have NEVER hears of the c422 chipset - i will have to go research it now.....

and if it is one thing a that i have learned about IT - its is to NEVER go with technology that is not widely used.....

i have been burnt so many times with technology that way and lost a lot of cash doing it....

the thought of 512 gb of ram makes me blush though - in fact, i had difficulty finding ram for 256 ( ( 32 gb x 2 in a pack) x 4 packs )

so while it is tempting, where on earth do i find the parts ....

i love external drives - specifically the samsung ones - very expensive but they do work...

as with all hard drives - NEVER TRUST THEM - ever - always have at least 22 backup copies(7 days, 1 for each month(12), 1 yearly, 1 external backup(monthly), 1 portable) - ALWAYS

i have had some very hard lessons....with that....and you learn very quickly....

also i just received a nasty access denied error message from the forum.....
    i tried posting this about 12 hours ago but i keep receiving an error message

the C422 is xeon processors only if im not mistaken ( pulled from a site -> Xeon W processors )
    the SE could mean second edition, they could have changed some parts on it from all i know.
    and the errors are normal on here, happens to me too.
    you have a "cool down" time between post's at times if you post too quicly between reply's.
    workstation boards = workstation boards witch lacks things that non work station boards do have.
    i do not know how long lifespan the x299 system have left, i bought a x99 back when the 6xxx series cpu's came out.
    and at that time the x299 just came out after i got mine.
    you can even get a 8core i7 on the LGA1200 socket boards that is out witch are cheaper then the 2066 socket.
    or you can even get a 10 core on the i9 on the 1200 socket.

but in the end its all up to you and what you choose and for the use you need it for.

New ROGer Array

thank you for explaining that....

- i would not go for a Xeon processor - due to price vs value vs what it does...and from what i have researched - apparently its not as good for gaming..although - i admit my dirty little secret
    that i have always wanted a xeon prorcessor- well a dual processor board
    - i am glad to see that SE is confirmed as second edition...-- i wonder if that means they stuffed up on the first version of the board?

- yes - so many errors on these forums - the error i had was a white page with black text - and the server seemed pretty serious vs a normal "you stuffed up" error message...

- WHY - WHY CANT THEY MAKE A WORK STATION BOARD WITH ALL THE BELLS AND WHISTLES sigh....

- yes, i am the same with the life span of x299..but i suppose that is the same story with all technology, buy today, launch new version tomorrow!....

- yes..i am still researching - but you did help me alot with reminding me about work station boards.......thank you

New ROGer Array

2020-09-09 checked thread...

New ROGer Array

KKN

I wish to pick your mind a little more....

if you visit this page
    https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards...O-SE/overview/
    you will notice that in the image - it says 8 x DIMM 128GB ddr4 2666MHZ non ecc ram....

but if you go to this page
    8 x DIMM, Max. 256GB, DDR4 4133

which one is it?

Intel® Core™ X-series Processors (6-core above)
    8 x DIMM, Max. 256GB, DDR4 4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/2933/2666/2400 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

Intel® Core™ X-series Processors (4-core)
    4 x DIMM, Max. 64GB, DDR4 4133(O.C.)/4000(O.C.)/3600(O.C.)/2666/2400 MHz Non-ECC, Un-buffered Memory

thats only on 6 core cpus and abow, as stated in the specs as you can see.

have a look in the manual maby if you are qurious
    https://www.asus.com/au/Motherboards...lpDesk_Manual/

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 LastLast