Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    ROG Enthusiast Array

2020-08-18 checked thread...

ROG Enthusiast Array

i guess no one can answer the question....

i have some other questions - is it better to start a new thread or just continue this one?

ROG Enthusiast Array

i might just start a new thread and let this one float to the bottom of the rog forums...

if anyone is able to answer the questions in this thread, it would be greatly appreciated...

ROG Enthusiast Array

2020-08-23 checked thread...

any possible answers?

tried this feature on this site?
    the comparison of the boards?
    the "extreeme" is mainly geared towards overclockers and have features for LNG ( liquid nitrogen ) and things like that.
    the lower tieared borards is more aimed for normal OC entusiast's and gamers in tought.
    https://www.asus.com/Motherboards/RO...mers-Products/
    Last edited by kkn; 08-24-2020 at 07:10 PM. Reason: added link

Quote Originally Posted by HeroClass View Post
    Evening xeromist

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, its true, what you said about parts...

and i did do a search - and we are being screwed - alot - the price online is about $1049 - which (1399-1049) - which is $350
    difference!

https://i.imgur.com/fziO63r.png

i would never buy grey market stuff - just because its not worth it....you hear so many stories of being being burnt...

not only that, i want to be protected under Australian consumer law - especially when paying 800+ for a mobo....

i have no choice but to wait.....thats ok - will give me time to study the new board - but from what I can tell, on what information
    i can get, its nearly identical except for the cpu socket....

do you have any idea why the maximus rog 12 does not support 256GB memory? only 128GB?
    the maximum of memory banks on the motherboard and CPU limitations.
    remember this LGA1200 is dual channel and not quad channel as the LGA2066 chipset is.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Morning KKN,

Thank you for your reply, it is appreciated ....

That was the answer I was looking for - so its a CPU limitation for the memory capacity - ...now I understand that.

So really what I am now aiming for is a 2066 socket based upon the assumption that " is it safe to assume the quad channel memory is better then the dual channel."?
    but this brings up a whole heap of other questions that i will get too shortly...

also thank you for the link -
    i have used the comparison on the link you provided before - and although it shows the difference aspects of the board, they do not describe what you did - and that is the extreme is for LNG

The reason why this is important to me, is because some where, on some part of the internet along time ago, i read that more expensive boards have better capacitors and components then lower end boards - and that is what was running through my mind, and when trying to decipher that through the comparison on the website, it does not make that clear.....

Now here is the next set of questions

I phoned up a parts supplier for the 2066 rampage board - and the guy said to me - they do not stock it because its old and the latest is the 1200 socket (which is true) but from what I can understand is that the 2066 future is pretty much dead and there is no replacement for it at the moment - at least to get 256gb of ram on a board at the moment.....

all the reviews i have found or seen on 2066 seems to indicate to stay the hell away from 2066...am i wrong in this assumption in 2020?
    Also does you know why they have not implemented pcie 4.0?

thank you in advance for reading

ROG Enthusiast Array

2020-08-27 checked thread...

as long as the GPU manufacturers have not implemented the PCIE 4.0 i guess why should they add it to their motherboards?
    look at AMD, they had it on some of the lineups ( motherboard manufacturers ) and they implemented a bios update to disable it in the end. (google it )
    what do you need that amount of ram for?
    VM machines? if so you need a realy expensive CPU with loads of cores to run VM machines to share all of that memory.
    the 2066 socket is a few years old now, and who knows when the next one will come out.
    is it purly for gaming? go for a LGA1200 socket, or maby wait for the new lineup that MAY be around the corner (dont ask me when its coming ).

you did not state what you are going to use the system for in your OP.
    so for my part its guessing.

ROG Enthusiast Array

Exclamation

Morning KKN

Thank you for taking the time to reply.....

"Why should they add it to their motherboards?"

I sat for a while to think about that question, and I came up with the following answer.

As a customer - purchasing hardware components - i like to take into considerations "features" vs "budget" vs "lifespan" of each part...

if I am going to purchase an $800 component, I would like to ensure that the component is going to last as long as possible (my current board is about 10 years old, x79 chipset ) and i paid a hefty price for that to ensure it works for that length of time....and its features has lasted me for that duration of time....

now if i am purchasing a new motherboard, and PCIE 4.0 is abundant enough in discussion threads, then its a feature that should be considered when purchasing, because i do not plan on purchasing another mobo for another 6-8 years....because when you think about it, it nearly a $6000 investment - which works out to be $1000 a year rent! (if the board works for the 6 years...if you look after it....)

--------------------------------

yes i will have to research that, because if amd implemented pcie 4.0 and then disabled it in a bios update - that indicates to me, through logic, that either 2 things are happening.....

1.) the specifications and thus implementations are wrong and needs to be seriously fixed
    2.) the manufacturers are deliberately holding back the technology for some reason.......it is throttling the technology release?...

-------------------------------

the reason why I need that ram is for video rending in after effects, and scrubbing through footage...
    also multi tasking with photoshop, and web development as well as database handling....

i do not like VMs, personally, as a web developer, i find them unnecessary....

------------------------------

that sir is exactly the answer i was looking for ....the 2066 socket it old...and i cannot find any information on the when the next one will come out.......and its the only board(rampage), that i can find that does support 256 ram in the rog line up....

gaming is apart of the the machines specs but not with the normal install....

.....the primary role of the machine will be the following:

a modular based computer for both gaming and business

the computer will be split into 2 designed based on the drives inserted - this will be determined based on swappable drive bays..

on the business drive it will be or have the following...

Adobe suite - Photoshop, after effects, media encoder, CAD - heavy weight
    web development - postgresql, php, multiple browsers (ff, ie, opera ) - medium weight
    usual software, email, word processing, firewall, virus protection, vlc etc - light weight

on the game drive

steam and all games
    origin and all games

game recording, obs , streaming, all the fun things computers were meant to be.....

---------------------

from what I can tell, everything is telling me to wait for a while until the next version of the x299 - BUT on the other hand logic is telling me, all the bugs and problems in the x299 have been fixed since it is a few years old...and that is better long term....

do you know anyone that uses an x299? and if so what is their experience with it? specifically the rampage 6....because all the videos i have found on youtube - are from 2017/18 and they say "STAY AWAY FROM THIS PLATFORM!" but with a little more subtlety.

thanks in advance for reading...

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast