cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Wished to purchase a mobo - an opinion, a complaint, a cry for help?

HeroClass
Level 7
To whom it may concern.

It is hoped this post is in the correct section - apologies if it is not.

Where to start? Not really sure, but perhaps with a bit of a background information.

Background information
====================
I am an middle age person who wishes to build his own computer - noted that this has nothing to do with ASUS
the reason that I tell you this, is because I have been around computers and parts for about 20 years, so I am not a stranger.

As a rule I usually just pay someone to build the pc i buy parts for - usually the shop i purchase from - because if something goes wrong, I do not have to return parts with DOA, and dont have to worry about warranty issues and mem tests etc

current situation
================
it was finally decided that I would like to put together a PC on my own.

when researching parts, I finally boiled down all my options to the "asus rog maxiumus 11 extreme" mother board with 1151 socket for the mobo.

when I finally go to purchase the part - all the computer shops say they cannot get it - it is discontinued.

cry for help
==============

thought 1
---------------
alot of research was done on this particular board, which meant alot of time effort and energy involved.

thoughts 2
---------------
does anyone know why ASUS has stopped shipping this board?
does anyone know why ASUS still has it on their website - if its discontinued?
does anyone know why ASUS would stop making a mother board - when socket 1151 cpu are still very heavily available?
does anyone know of anyway i can get these boards? please do not mention amazon or ebay....i would like to buy from a computer shop...

thought 3
----------------
It could be argued that i could just buy the Maximus 12...
one of the major things that really bite me hard is that the Maximus 11was about $800 and the new Maximus 12 is $1600....

for the price of the 12, i could buy 2 Maximus 11...

i was hoping that the price of the 11 could stay or come down when the 12 was released, but they stopped making it

and how on earth can ASUS justify $1600 for a Maximus 12 when the last one was $800! - it feels like just a cash grab, and it makes me resentful
as a long term customer of asus - yes all arguments about "quality components" are already taken into consideration...

thought 4
---------------
in my research about the socket 2066 (to which i cannot afford, and do not want) - there are rumors, which are about 1 year old, that the 2066 has alot of issues
but this may be resolved now - any feedback?

thought 5
--------------
yes i have already contacted the phone line on asus, who didn't want to take the call and forced me to use a contact form on the asus website, which has
not answered....

thanks for reading and replies if any....

i will check and hopefully reply at least once every 24 hours.
42 REPLIES 42

HeroClass
Level 7
As promised - i have checked in to read this thread.

There is an update to my original post.

update 1
-------------
The price has dropped on the Maximus 12 -[IMG width=500]https://i.imgur.com/d8k03Mj.png[/IMG]

from about $1,549 to $1,399 - as the picture above.

update 2
-------------
does anyone know what the difference between the socket 1200, 1151, and 2066 is?
Please do not tell me that its the power pin count - that I am aware of...

What I would like to know, is the 1200 going to be the future and the 1151 phased out?

which socket would be consider a better long term investment the 1200 or 2066? and why?

update 3
-------------
asus finally got back to me - telling me they could not answer it and they have to send the email off to someone else...

to be honest though, the email i got, was more about "once I have solved your query we'd like to ask a few questions about your experience"
on the first line of the email....and had nothing to do with the issue at hand...

im still left hanging

Socket wise there Isn't much difference besides the pin layout and number of pins however socket size and CPU size stays the same. LGA 1151 will be phased out as It was for the last 3 generations of Intel processors (sky lake, kaby lake, coffee lake) LGA 1200 should house the next 2-3 generations of CPU as has been the case In previous generations.

HeroClass wrote:
As promised - i have checked in to read this thread.

which socket would be consider a better long term investment the 1200 or 2066? and why?

This really comes down to what you plan to use the PC for the most. Have you looked into AMD Ryzen CPU's at all?

update 1
-------------
asus finally replied - and saying what i thought - and didnt get me any more help beyond that - except trying to get me to buy the Maxiumus 12

===========================

Morning Ceeaz.

Thank you for your reply, the noise of the silence in this forum was starting to become loud....

Your input on the socket was helpful and supported my research on the topic....

My research supports the following conclusion

apparently in 2020 socket -

the x299 chipset is not worth it :
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kvg3pHMsqPs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ujhBbiYqmnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWFzWRoVNnE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3w-G85O8n3I

socket 1151 is being phased out as you said...
because asus emailed me back saying in big black letters thats just weird...

"Please be informed that we have received the escalation feedback from the ASUS Internal Department regarding your case. According to them, the XI model no longer in production as the XII model has replaced this. Please refer to the link below:"

so clearly 1151 socket is dead in the eyes of certain manufacturers - they are just in the process of burying it - which really sucks because it would have
been nice to pick up a deal - and i really really really wanted a pair of the maximus 11 extreme boards, now i will only be able to afford 1 of them

to answer your question
"AMD Ryzen CPU'"

yes I have.

The research that i have done, indicates that "at the moment" apparently ( it is suspected ) AMD/Ryzen is crapping all over Intel in the CPU department with cores/threads as well as the pricing department being cheaper..but in further investigation, intels stock price has dropped, while AMD stock price has risen...

https://i.imgur.com/Yf4pvrJ.png

the problem i have is, most of the motherboard manufacturers - according to my research - do not put as much effort into their AMD boards
as they do their intel boards - and I am thinking long term investment of 5+ years

There are other reason, but i wont go into them in this post..

my current computer is about 10 years old and still going strong - even after a few hard drive replacements - btw the hard drives lasted 7 years nearly!

the price of the Maximus 12 to me is just theft and seen as a cash grab at this point - being $1,399.

The most I would personally be willing to pay for is about $800 or $850 - but it has to be something as good as the maximus 11 to justify it...

and my logic is this...
by the time i pay $1300 just for the motherboard + all the other parts - for a high end machine.

i could buy a laptop - and throw it away in 3 years time and buy a new one for another 3 years - free upgrade! - and still have money to spare!

https://i.imgur.com/bPJP74B.png

yes, yes, yes, i can hears all the howls about upgrade ability and its not as powerful as a custom machine - and yes i fully agree with the howling
but the simple fact is, im running a p9X79 with a nvidia 750Ti - and it still runs everything fine, even high end games like battlefield....

yes, yes yes, i can hear all the howls about "this is for enthusiasts - if you want good parts you have to pay for it" - this i cannot agree with because im not an enthusiast and really could not care about the bells and whistles, these machines are for my work..and im looking for a rock solid platform

my preference right now, and as has been for the last 20 years, a custom machine, and for the foreseeable future, its the same, but think about it,
for the price of the mother board at $1399 - i can nearly buy a whole car $1895! -

https://i.imgur.com/7O65wYn.png

the computer is going to be used for photoshop, after affects - including rendering-, programming, - including compiling -, database, gaming.

and do you know why on earth the maximus range of boards do not support 256GB of ram? - i suspect i has something to do with the chipset myself...

reply is welcomed....Thanks again - and as normal, i will check in every 24 hours if possible...

edit
--------
i fixed up the grammar mistake and took out the image tags - if you want the images, you can open the URL, i am sure users of this forum have that skill set

and i fixed up the brackets - it seems to be affecting the html output of this forum post

just to add to my whine above

i have no problems paying for parts, i just dont like it when I feel like im being taken for a ride...

since the last board was $800 and the new version is double that....and the only difference in the board is the socket 1151 to 1200...

i am guessing the price will come down, and I will just have to wait...

2020-08-01 checked thread...

xeromist
FWIW, Australia often gets shafted when it comes to pricing. If you find yourself wondering if a specific product is marked up you might want to check international sites (EU, USA) and compare prices. I wouldn't recommend grey market import since returns and RMA are a nightmare but it will at least give you an idea if you're being taken before you buy locally. Expect some variance but if there's a dramatic difference it could be a sign to wait or choose a different product.
A bus station is where a bus stops. A train station is where a train stops. On my desk, I have a work station…

Evening xeromist

Thank you for the reply.

Yes, its true, what you said about parts...

and i did do a search - and we are being screwed - alot - the price online is about $1049 - which (1399-1049) - which is $350
difference!

https://i.imgur.com/fziO63r.png

i would never buy grey market stuff - just because its not worth it....you hear so many stories of being being burnt...

not only that, i want to be protected under Australian consumer law - especially when paying 800+ for a mobo....

i have no choice but to wait.....thats ok - will give me time to study the new board - but from what I can tell, on what information
i can get, its nearly identical except for the cpu socket....

do you have any idea why the maximus rog 12 does not support 256GB memory? only 128GB?

2020-08-03 checked thread...