cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

GL531GT Can anyone confirm if it will recognize 2x32gb Memory Modules?

jasonmbrown
Level 8
I am aware that the manual states max of 32gb memory, however I have used more then manufacturers 'Maximum Supported' on laptops to varying degrees of success (I would say in my experience using more then supported maximum works about 40% to 50% of the time). Just wondering if anyone can confirm if the gl531gt can use 2x32gb? I will be testing a single 32gb Module in a week to test if it works.

I find that usually the maximum supported, is simply the biggest available module at the time of the manual being written.
3 REPLIES 3

KorosuKivy
Level 10
Run a crucial scan:
https://www.crucial.com/store/systemscanner?cm_re=homepage-_-hero-_-combobox-scanner-btn

Seems that 32GB is the max you can operate
https://www.crucial.com/compatible-upgrade-for/asus/rog-strix-g531gt

another way to double check is by:

Step 1: Press Windows key + R simultaneously. Then type cmd in search box and press Enter.
open cmd window
Step 2: In Command Prompt window, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and press Enter.
Finally, the maximum capacity of RAM is shown on the screen (in kilobytes). Then you can convert kilobytes to gigabytes.

Im pretty sure crucial uses the manufacturer's maximum supported. I did not know about the wmic memphysical, very handy.

wmic memphysical get maxcapacity gives me 67108864. Just wanted to check but is that per slot or Total combined? But either way it looks like it should work with my 32gb sticks.

Edit: After looking into it a little bit it would appear that its per memory slot, so if I understand correctly the maximum memory for my g531gt is 128gb total

jasonmbrown wrote:
Im pretty sure crucial uses the manufacturer's maximum supported. I did not know about the wmic memphysical, very handy.

wmic memphysical get maxcapacity gives me 67108864. Just wanted to check but is that per slot or Total combined? But either way it looks like it should work with my 32gb sticks.

Edit: After looking into it a little bit it would appear that its per memory slot, so if I understand correctly the maximum memory for my g531gt is 128gb total

No that's the total max that your unit will allow, which your total is 67GB so really its just 2x32GB in this case but if your rocking just the one 32GB stick should be fine