cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Asus Rog Strix G731GW weird issue. (Probably corrupted drivers but not sure)

Dazechan
Level 7
Heya there , I've been facing an issue with my laptop ever since upgrading to Windows Version 1909 and then 2004.

Basically whenever I'm gaming , after few minutes in the game , the screen becomes distorted (will post a link down below) then comes back to normal but the pc freezes. (Nothing works till I manually shut it down)

I've been monitoring the issue for the past days and I noticed that when the crash occurs , on Event Viewer there's this " GPU crashes, Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows."

Things I've done so far : Reset Windows , re-install graphic card drivers. (with DDU on Safe Mode)

The other day nVidia released a hotfix for their latest drivers which I immediately tried and it seemed to work but the next day the problem was back.

I've disabled Windows Updates , disabled Microsoft Store from auto-updating.

Now the thing is , I tried to look for errors that could cause a BsOD using MyASUS and there is a driver error but it does not specify which one.

I'd like to factory reset but I've no clue how to do it. (I tried with F9 while booting but it did not work)

If someone here has similar issues/or any idea on what to do/try next , I'd be more than glad.

(Note : the laptop is not even 6 months old and it is still under warranty , I've had no issues with it prior to updating to Windows 10 1909 and 2004 Version.)

***PROBLEM HAS BEEN SOLVED , It was caused due to a bug on Windows Build 2004 (12 of July) and has been addressed and fixed in the latest build released on 8 of September***
14 REPLIES 14

KorosuKivy
Level 10
Dazechan wrote:
Heya there , I've been facing an issue with my laptop ever since upgrading to Windows Version 1909 and then 2004.

Basically whenever I'm gaming , after few minutes in the game , the screen becomes distorted (will post a link down below) then comes back to normal but the pc freezes. (Nothing works till I manually shut it down)

I've been monitoring the issue for the past days and I noticed that when the crash occurs , on Event Viewer there's this " GPU crashes, Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows."

Things I've done so far : Reset Windows , re-install graphic card drivers. (with DDU on Sade Mode)

The other day nVidia released a hotfix for their latest drivers which I immediately tried and it seemed to work but the next day the problem was back.

I've disabled Windows Updates , disabled Microsoft Store from auto-updating.

Now the thing is , I tried to look for errors that could cause a BsOD using MyASUS and there is a driver error but it does not specify which one.

I'd like to factory reset but I've no clue how to do it. (I tried with F9 while booting but it did not work)

If someone here has similar issues/or any idea on what to do/try next , I'd be more than glad.

(Note : the laptop is not even 6 months old and it is still under warranty , I've had no issues with it prior to updating to Windows 10 1909 and 2004 Version.)

Thats some nice artifacting overclocked your GPU a bit much? or this is a driver/bios conflict on a windows update
Option 1:
check for a bios update that may fix the issue. https://www.asus.com/supportonly/G731GW/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Option 2:
Go through the device manager and uninstall ALL your graphics driverss make sure you delete the files then goto https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/ and do the automatic driver download.

Make sure you remove the drivers you don't want them reinstalled again after uninstalling them.

After that go over the driver and bios updates on https://www.asus.com/supportonly/G731GW/HelpDesk_Download/

KorosuKivy wrote:
Thats some nice artifacting overclocked your GPU a bit much? or this is a driver/bios conflict on a windows update
Option 1:
check for a bios update that may fix the issue. https://www.asus.com/supportonly/G731GW/HelpDesk_BIOS/
Option 2:
Go through the device manager and uninstall ALL your graphics driverss make sure you delete the files then goto https://www.nvidia.com/en-us/geforce/drivers/ and do the automatic driver download.

Make sure you remove the drivers you don't want them reinstalled again after uninstalling them.

After that go over the driver and bios updates on https://www.asus.com/supportonly/G731GW/HelpDesk_Download/

I'm currently trying the Option 1. There was a bios update (308) released at some point in June. As for the OC I'm just running it on Perfomance mode from ACrate.

The issue started happening randomly after an update (Version 1909 of Windows and it still persists on the current one 2004)

If the bios update does not solve the issue I will go on and try option 2.

Thanks for your time mate , I appreciate it. Let me know if you can think of something else.

KorosuKivy wrote:
Option 1:
Option 2:

Alright , tried Option 1 , issue still persists.

Event Viewer Error - Event 65. Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows.

I basically have to manually shut it down or else it will stay like that forever. Screen eventually turns back to normal after 2-3 minutes but laptop is unusable as I said on my first post.

Going for option 2 I guess.

Dazechan wrote:
Alright , tried Option 1 , issue still persists.

Event Viewer Error - Event 65. Failed with 0x57 retrieving AppModel Runtime status for package Windows.

I basically have to manually shut it down or else it will stay like that forever. Screen eventually turns back to normal after 2-3 minutes but laptop is unusable as I said on my first post.

Going for option 2 I guess.

I did a little searching on this it seems to be a common issue with updating windows 10 and certain nvidia builds. The main fix that some people found worked was to make sure that windows 10 was fully updated along with clean installs of the latest nvidia drivers

Hopefully this works out for you.

KorosuKivy wrote:
I did a little searching on this it seems to be a common issue with updating windows 10 and certain nvidia builds. The main fix that some people found worked was to make sure that windows 10 was fully updated along with clean installs of the latest nvidia drivers

Hopefully this works out for you.

Trying this right now. I updated Windows and the nvidia graphic card drivers (I put the hotfix again aswell). Let's see how it goes.

I guess if the issue still persists I ll have to manually download a windows version before 1909 , possibly 1903.

If you don't mind me asking , which windows version are you using yourself?

Dazechan wrote:
Trying this right now. I updated Windows and the nvidia graphic card drivers (I put the hotfix again aswell). Let's see how it goes.

I guess if the issue still persists I ll have to manually download a windows version before 1909 , possibly 1903.

If you don't mind me asking , which windows version are you using yourself?

Version 2004

KorosuKivy wrote:
Version 2004

Alright , I've been testing it for the past 2 hours , works perfectly. No issues at all. Will keep monitoring till tomorrow and I will let you know again.

Thanks a ton mate , have been trying to resolve this issue for the past weeks.

I guess latest updates and clean install of nvidia's latest drivers is the way to go. :rolleyes:

Dazechan wrote:
Alright , I've been testing it for the past 2 hours , works perfectly. No issues at all. Will keep monitoring till tomorrow and I will let you know again.

Thanks a ton mate , have been trying to resolve this issue for the past weeks.

I guess latest updates and clean install of nvidia's latest drivers is the way to go. :rolleyes:

Excellent glad I could help, keep a habit of checking the website for bios updates and what not every month. and as for Nvidia, I do it every week lol

KorosuKivy wrote:
Excellent glad I could help, keep a habit of checking the website for bios updates and what not every month. and as for Nvidia, I do it every week lol

Unfortunately the issue returned today. No Error 0x57 on Event Viewer though. Getting really desperate as I'm out of options. I would love to do a factory reset and just disable Windows Updates but I can't figure out how to do it. (tried a reset of windows already but it just re-installed 2004 version)

oh btw , I use a 2070 RTX GPU , if that might help someone figure out something that I don't.